Long Range Crossbow Hunting

ADMIN

Administrator
Seemingly counterintuitively, I re-channeled my newfound long range tradecraft into another aspect of hunting that I thoroughly enjoy, perhaps even more ... archery. In this article, I'll highlight my transition to long range archery hunting with the crossbow. I'll discuss (1) setting a proper mission objective, (2) selecting the proper equipment, (3) fine-tuning skill sets at the target range (4) applying field tradecraft in a real-world environment; illustrated by two successful long range harvests of mature whitetail bucks, and finally (5) use self-assessments and constructive criticism as tools to improve. Ultimately, my goal is to demonstrate that conceptual terminology such as "long range" and "bow" and "big-game" are not incompatible with one another. But when mastered correctly can redefine commonly held definitions of marksmanship and field-craft. And open-up an entirely new hunting experience for those willing to pursue it. Read More...
This is a thread for discussion of the article, Long Range Crossbow Hunting, By Matthew Poeth. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

Great article Mathew. I really enjoyed it and it could not have come at a better time for me. After shooting 2 buck the last 2 years at 50yds with my crossbow, my previous maximum, I decided to go long range this year. I am working on some new equipment and think I will be comfortable to 100 yd this season.

I have always been a permanent or ladder tree-stand hunter with a vertical bow or crossbow in the past and before I read your article I did not even give a thought to the versatility/ease of mobility that my decision to go long range gives me with the convenience of hunting from the ground.

Incidentally, you mentioned you hunt in MD. I get down that way very often and especially in hunting season. I don't hunt there much but I track in MD 40 or 50 times a season for guys who have not been able to find there wounded deer. I have leashed blood tracking dogs.

As mentioned in the article, plenty of 20 yard shots go off course for one reason or another. In my opinion, if a 100 yard shooter feels just as confident as the 20 yard shooter then the there is nothing unethical with the 100 yard shot. I track plenty of 25 yard shots gone awry with my dogs. Here is one.

Attachments

• Call-2013-17Fcw.jpg
    Call-2013-17Fcw.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 96
Andy, thanks for your comments on the article. I appreciate that you are fine tuning your skills and equipment for longer ranges. Once mastered, this may expand opportunities in the field. I concur with your comments about shots going awry even at short distances. Thank goodness there are guys like you, with tracking dogs to assist. No offense, but I hope I never need them. Great buck picture and recovery.

With regard to your comment about hunting from a ladder tree stand; this past year I attempted to expand my field-craft by using a climber tree stand with the PSE TAC 15 crossbow. It definitely added another dimension and more variables. Being in tree when the wind is blowing and tree is swaying, added to the shot complexity. Also being high in the tree offered very little concealment for me. I felt too much in the open and believe the deer picked up on my movement much easier. Plus the crossbow was bulky and awkward in the stand. I had a more difficult time anchoring myself for the shot. As you can probably tell, I'm definitely a novice using the deer stand. At long ranges, I much more prefer the concealment and security offered from hunting on the ground. My recommendation to you if you decide to use the tree stand, practice from it at long ranges before you decide to take the shot in the field.

I'm attaching a short (preview) video clip of Long Range Crossbow Hunting with the PSE TAC 15 from the 2013 archery season in Maryland; stay tuned for the associated article outlining new tradecraft and lessons learned from the field as well as the complete video (with outcome of the final shot on one of the largest whitetail bucks I've ever encountered during fair-chase in the wild). I'll give you a hint on the ending ... I did not need tracking dogs.

[ame="http://youtu.be/8AXuRHLdxKE"]Long Range Crossbow Scenario Preview2 - YouTube[/ame]

For those who are interested in reading the article in another format, I'm attaching the .PDF version. Initially posting the article on the site, there was some difficulty in the .html (web) format that would not allow for inter-mixing the text with the photos. Some have commented in the value of the .PDF version, which may capture the readers attention better. On the other hand others commented that the text was difficult to read interlaced with the photographs in certain spots in the .PDF version. Now there are both formats to chose from, in accordance with your own reading preference.

Attachments

• Long-Range_Crossbow_Hunting_(Article).pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 96
Stumbled across your article tonight. That's about the coolest thing I've heard about in a long time. You're work and time spent shooting is fantastic information to pass on. Surprised you haven't had more response.

Thanks for the information, sounds like something I could really get into....fantastic and exciting stuff.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.