LONG RANGE 300WM load?

No I haven't. I'm not sure why you would recommend the hybrid bullet....isn't it considered a target bullet which is not recommended for hunting?

No I haven't. I'm not sure why you would recommend the hybrid bullet....isn't it considered a target bullet which is not recommended for hunting?

Well I know plenty of folks on this site are using them to good effect and I killed a couple antelope this year with them. That being said I'm switching to solid coppers for elk hunting. When I shoot an elk I want that bullet to stay together and break things. Just can't seem to get my gut to say the hybrids are good to go.

Because it hammers game. Do a little research. I have killed animals from 50 yards to 800 yards that never took a step with the 215.

My recommendation is the 215 Berger with H1000 and 215M primers.

Yup. Drop 77.3 grains of H1000 in a Norma case with a 215 Berger seated .020-.050" off and watch magic happen. My rifle works best with CCI250s and Fed 210Ms with this load both producing dime sized groups. The 210M produces more desirable velocity spreads.

I may give it try but it still doesn't make any sense to me. Berger describes the bullet as heavy walled target bullet. If the 210 Berger VLD-hunting are not expanding at 850 how can the 215 Hybrids be any better? I'm shooting hogs.....not cape buffalo. What is it that I'm not getting? Someone please enlighten me.

I may give it try but it still doesn't make any sense to me. Berger describes the bullet as heavy walled target bullet. If the 210 Berger VLD-hunting are not expanding at 850 how can the 215 Hybrids be any better? I'm shooting hogs.....not cape buffalo. What is it that I'm not getting? Someone please enlighten me.

What do you want enlightened on? I obviously can not speak for you but I am a results oriented guy. They flat out work, period.

The 215 Berger is the benchmark for performance on game from a 30 cal and especially elk, I switch from Barnes to them and have never wanted to go back, it's the only 30 cal bullet I shoot from a 308 to 30 Nosler, it breathed new life into the 300 Win and add a little H1000 under it and its very hard to beat for a long range rifle.

I haf my 300wm built for the 215 bergers. I never did find a load that was impressive. 1-1.25in at 250yds was the best i could get. I tried the 212eldx's and never looked back. 77.5 of h1000 gives me 2930fps avg and .5in groups at 250yds. I have 20 some deer with this load so far closest being 245yds long was 890yds. All but the 890 dropped instantly. The 890 stood for 5 seconds staggered back a step and dropped. Last year I shot 6 deer for a total of 3224yds. This is a combo I will be hard pressed to beat. My barrel is a 28in 1in9.5 benchmark.

I feel like this thread should just be stickied...
https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/comparing-the-berger-210-vld-to-the-215-hybrid.88657/

Biggest thing with the Berger's is to make sure the tips are open with a .04" drill

It would seem to me that tampering with the tips of the bullets would affect the aerodynamic characteristics of the bullets and thus performance. Are you using a precision drill press?

The problem is they get debris in them or worse pushed closed and they will not expand. No drill press is needed.

If I check tips at all I just do so to sort, if I find a plugged one I just sort it to cold bore practice box not the hunting box.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.