Limitations of the 243 on antelope

I've been looking at the numbers and with the wind and retained energy and such I believe that I may go to my 6.5x47lapua barrel running the 143 eldx. I think that will put me having plenty of energy.
That would be a fantastic antelope round. And, yes, you'll have plenty of energy. Consider the 140 gr VLD.............it's kind of a perfect storm in the 6.5. I either shoot it, the 143 gr ELDX or the 124 gr Hammer Hunter in my 6.5-284 Norma. If you want a mono bullet, really look hard at the Hammer Bullets. They are absolutely devastating on game

Do the work and do option 3, learn to shoot!
I agree with this, and I thought I knew how to shoot...I just can't judge wind. I shoot in the wind a lot. My range is a gravel pit and at times can act as a wind tunnel so I can practice in some pretty stout cross winds. My South Dakota antelope I shot this year was with a 6.5PRC and 130 Berger VLDH at roughly 3100FPS. I guessed a 15 to 20 MPH wind at 3/4 value at 387 yards. Wind was actually 30 when I got up on the hill the goats were on and I drifted to the back of the liver and cut the diaphragm and had to use a second shot. That ol wind can be a little tricky. 2nd shot after the spotter was money and it ended quickly, but I was fooled and lucky it was not worse. with the 243 I like to stay under 400 yards and over 3300FPS. At 400 and under speed beats BC. 80 grain TTSX or 80 grain B-tips are awesome performers in the .243. 85 Grain Sierra BTHP Game Kings are great performers as well.

Friend of mine used my 6.5x47 with a 124 HH. Killed his buck pronghorn at just over 200 yds DRT. Only two animals with that bullet last year but both really impressed me. I thought maybe it was just hype, but they are the real deal. Not the highest BC though. The 130 Berger hunting has also been great out of my other 6.5x47.

The 135 Berger classic is well under .5 moa in both my 6.5x47 with varget. Its a great little cartridge. Love mine.

I agree with this, and I thought I knew how to shoot...I just can't judge wind. I shoot in the wind a lot. My range is a gravel pit and at times can act as a wind tunnel so I can practice in some pretty stout cross winds. My South Dakota antelope I shot this year was with a 6.5PRC and 130 Berger VLDH at roughly 3100FPS. I guessed a 15 to 20 MPH wind at 3/4 value at 387 yards. Wind was actually 30 when I got up on the hill the goats were on and I drifted to the back of the liver and cut the diaphragm and had to use a second shot. That ol wind can be a little tricky. 2nd shot after the spotter was money and it ended quickly, but I was fooled and lucky it was not worse. with the 243 I like to stay under 400 yards and over 3300FPS. At 400 and under speed beats BC. 80 grain TTSX or 80 grain B-tips are awesome performers in the .243. 85 Grain Sierra BTHP Game Kings are great performers as well.
No guessing, measure it, break it down into near, mid and far and make a little tweak based on your base line reading and terrain and put it in there. I really enjoy breaking down the wind!

Yep, with wet ground and nothing but muddy prairie dog hills and pasture trimmed like putting green by said prairie dogs I didn't have a lot of indicators. it was a rare very wet fall in western SoDak last year. I think I still would have botched it without anything short of a flag on the hill. I had it in my mind it was a shade under 20 for some reason and went with it. Live and learn. Strive not to make the same mistake next time.

Your 243 will do the job. I grew up in southeast Montana before I moved to Alaska. Would hunt antelope a lot and never had a problem with 243. Would routinely kill antelope, deer and a few elk with the 85 grain barnes ttsx. Granted they were only 200-250 yard shots.

Shot my last pronghorn @ 450-460ish with my 6CM pushing a 105 Hyb @ 3101 from a 24" 1:7.5". Dropped at the shot without a kick.
.243 Win should push a 103 faster than 2950. Which should be plenty for 800ish.

My first antelope was killed at 486 yards. Winchester 70 .243 shooting 100gr Gamekings. It would have been a perfect shot, but I miss judged the Wyoming wind. He was dying but I shot again for insurance.

Since then, I have used 30-06, 270, 308, and .300 WM. I have a 25-06 and 6.5 CM this year if I draw. Antelope are one of my favorite things to hunt.

I've shot a lot of critters with both .243 and 6mm Rem. No problems. Get away from roads and use terrain to close the gap. Usually too windy to shoot real far. Never shot an antelope farther than 250 yds. Including some very good ones.

Stoke that baby up with rl26 and that 103 will do over 3300 no problem at all. Every 243 and 243ai and 6slr have shot 108 Berger's over 3300 with ease. My 6slr was up to 3400 with no hard bolt lift but shot better at 3325. The slr is about 2 grains less powder than the standard 243. Your 103 at 3300fps will have 1200ft pounds at 590 yards.
Shep

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.