Lightweight rifle setup opinion

03USMC

Hey gents,
I have a 20” 7mm SAUM that weighs all up 7# even with a Leupold VX6 HD 3-18x50.

I’ve used this scope to take game out to 526 yards, so I’m comfortable doing so.

My question is… should I keep it on the SAUM or swap it out for a NF NX8 4-32 and add 8 ounces to the weight? Would potentially extend my range if needed.

I love how handy it is now, but would gain 14 power for a 8oz gain in weight.

Thoughts/opinions?

Thanks

Really comes down to what is more important to you personally, weight or magnification. I usually set my guns up a bit heavier (10-11lbs) for shooting comfort/stability. So if 8oz is the cost of that much extra functional utility in the optics, then I would definitely switch to the NF. 18x is a good baseline, but I will take more magnification if I can get it.

Nice setup. I absolutely wouldn’t change to the heavy scope. Nothing worse for field shooting than a top heavy lightweight rifle. I can’t spot my hits on 18 power so higher would not be advantageous.

If you want more shoot ability I’d consider adding weight by changing stocks. Adding a pound or two low will make it easier to shoot long.

FWIW, I’ve shot the 280AI so long had an itch, the 7PRC didn’t do it so I am building a 7SAUM. Defiance long, Bartlein 2B 26” throated long, Jewel trigger, bedded it into three stocks last week ranginging from 22 oz to 41 oz. Going to see if the SAUM hype is there for me.

I have both magnification ranges as you. If you’re going to target shoot more than hunting, then the extra magnification is preferred. However, I find the 3-18 or something with a low 20 power to be about perfect for hunting. Just curious but have you looked through the 4-32 scope at mag power? Very difficult to get behind and about useless unless absolutely stable in a rest. My opinion anyway.

I have both magnification ranges as you. If you're going to target shoot more than hunting, then the extra magnification is preferred. However, I find the 3-18 or something with a low 20 power to be about perfect for hunting. Just curious but have you looked through the 4-32 scope at mag power? Very difficult to get behind and about useless unless absolutely stable in a rest. My opinion anyway.
I’ve used both scopes extensively out to at least 600 yards, so it really comes down to a wand that’s quick to point or a slightly steadier rifle because the extra half pound added.

look at a Savage m16 lightweight hunter in 6.5 CM, they weight about 6 pounds with a scope, then use the money you save on more gear!

Hey gents,
I have a 20" 7mm SAUM that weighs all up 7# even with a Leupold VX6 HD 3-18x50.

I've used this scope to take game out to 526 yards, so I'm comfortable doing so.

My question is… should I keep it on the SAUM or swap it out for a NF NX8 4-32 and add 8 ounces to the weight? Would potentially extend my range if needed.

Thoughts/opinions?

Thanks
Why do you think the NX8 over the VX6 will extend your range?

Is it the added weight for stability? Or added magnification for closer viewing? Or the build quality and reliability (not really anything to do with extending range other than knowing it will dial and RTZ properly)?

If it is the added weight for stability, 8oz will slightly help, and a 7.5# rifle is still quite light for carry purposes.

If it is for the extra 10x on the top end, unless you are shooting prairie dogs at 1k, if you can't hit a coyote or deer on 18x out to 1k+, 28x won't help much. I don't see a 7lb 7 SAUM as a target rifle shooting for tiny groups on paper at 1k, so the added 10x won't do you much good there either. I shoot to 1400+ monthly on steel. I have a lot of scopes in the 3-15 to 3-20 range. 15x @ 1100 on 8" steel is no problem.

Why do you think the NX8 over the VX6 will extend your range?

Is it the added weight for stability? Or added magnification for closer viewing? Or the build quality and reliability (not really anything to do with extending range other than knowing it will dial and RTZ properly)?

If it is the added weight for stability, 8oz will slightly help, and a 7.5# rifle is still quite light for carry purposes.

If it is for the extra 10x on the top end, unless you are shooting prairie dogs at 1k, if you can't hit a coyote or deer on 18x out to 1k+, 28x won't help much. I don't see a 7lb 7 SAUM as a target rifle shooting for tiny groups on paper at 1k, so the added 10x won't do you much good there either. I shoot to 1400+ monthly on steel. I have a lot of scopes in the 3-15 to 3-20 range. 15x @ 1100 on 8" steel is no problem.
NF is definitely a better scope; but mainly the extra magnification to be a bit more precise with longer range shots on game. My other 7 SAUM weighs 12 ozs more (identical set up.. just steel versus Ti) and it feels a little more stable

NF is definitely a better scope; but mainly the extra magnification to be a bit more precise with longer range shots on game. My other 7 SAUM weighs 12 ozs more (identical set up.. just steel versus Ti) and it feels a little more stable
The quality of your vision plays a role too. Case in point, my son shot at a target at 966Y at 6X, I needed 12X to do the same. Good luck!

Hey gents,
I have a 20" 7mm SAUM that weighs all up 7# even with a Leupold VX6 HD 3-18x50.

I've used this scope to take game out to 526 yards, so I'm comfortable doing so.

Thoughts/opinions?

Thanks
Nf is a better quality scope. The extra power while not necessary is there if you can use it. You cant turn an 18 power scope up to 32 but you can turn the 32 down. It all comes down to how much the extra weight means.

Also what are the specs on your rifle?

Nf is a better quality scope. The extra power while not necessary is there if you can use it. You cant turn an 18 power scope up to 32 but you can turn the 32 down. It all comes down to how much the extra weight means.

Also what are the specs on your rifle?
I agree with having and not needing vs needing and not having. The 4-32×50 still had a good low 4x, oy .5x more than the VX6, but the extra 14x on top is sure nice if you want it.

Being that the OP is from TX, I will say this. No amount of magnification will defeat mirage.