Lightweight Monster from APS

I love rifles that shoot as good as they look. Keep us updated with your journey with this beauty.
If they dont shoot as well as they look, they dont ship from my shop!! And i dont ASSUME they will shoot great and i dont give generic performance expectations, all proven as a system and data produced from each specific rifle!! 😉

Website is VERY OLD!! There is so much new stuff i need to get updated on the website its kind of embarrassing. Just got to find the time. Try to keep current updates on new projects posted here on LRH.com as often as i can so stay tuned!!
what is you website, just to look at some other builds done the past

Kirby,

Have you tested some of the newer turned monos in your cartridges? Results. Was just looking at older threads back when the 338AM was first on the scene. Some were running 34-36" barrels. Was thinking what using some of the new high BC turned monos would do. Take a Badlands 275 SBD that has a G7 around .451. Looking at reported vel 3500 fps would seem doable. That would make a heck of a 1500 yd combo. 275@2k fps has some authority. Now we seem to have more steady produced high bc choices then back them.

I'm old fashioned and prefer nice wood and blued steel, but dang!!! I'd be proud to own that outfit!!!
I love the feel of a wood stock far better then any composite. Only issue is stability of wood as humidity changes which can lead to POI changes. A good pillar bedding job can help a great deal with this, as can a quality laninated wood stock combined with quality pillar bedding. More on that soon when i report on my Prowler adventure i will be fully releasing soon. As far as blues steel, a good bluing job looks amazing. When i started building rifles i actually did hot caustic bluing and the rifles turned out amazing. Just not practical unless your doing it often. Plus, no comparision between chrome moly steel and good stainless steel when dealing with the extreme performance chamberings. As such, stainless is where most go. We can cerakote finish stainless with a nice flat matte black finish that looks good as well so in the end, there are options for wood and "blued" steel.

Kirby,

Have you tested some of the newer turned monos in your cartridges? Results. Was just looking at older threads back when the 338AM was first on the scene. Some were running 34-36" barrels. Was thinking what using some of the new high BC turned monos would do. Take a Badlands 275 SBD that has a G7 around .451. Looking at reported vel 3500 fps would seem doable. That would make a heck of a 1500 yd combo. 275@2k fps has some authority. Now we seem to have more steady produced high bc choices then back them.
Yes, i have tested the Hammers, Badlands, barnes and a host of others in most of my wildcats. Some require somewhat unique twist rates for optimum performance ballistically and terminally but they all work very well in all of my wildcats. There are not many out there i have not tested and proven. So yes, the new monos work extremely well in my wildcats. Especially in calibers larger then 308. Smaller then that, its difficult to get a good BC to compete with conventional lead core bullets but above 30 cal, there is enough mass to produce very good BC numbers.

Recent Posts