LGS donor rifle for a build

What savage actions have you used? Anything to look for in particular? Model 10, 110, axis. Or other?
One more thing, well a couple. Replace the stock recoil lug and make sure you prefit barrel provider knows the lug thickness (headspace)
Hardly any of them are the same.

I disagree with your post sir, it's never been better for Savage. I'd like to thank some of the members on here for helping me discover all the options out there- Thanks Fellas 😎

There are several more choices probably again as many as I posted.

And Savage is leading the pre fit market by a wide margin, at least for now
And with their new straight pull actions barrel mounting system, it's only a short time away that a switch barrel setup for these will storm the market. Hahahaha 🤠

Why do you say SAVAGE is ruled out for a LONG ACTION? The Savage 110 ##* Lapua is a Long Action Rifle.

I am in the middle of building a LA Savage. Finding a purpose appropriate stock that I like has been a pain, but getting the scope rail to sit level on the action has been a far, far bigger pain.

I've ended up modifying a Boyd's laminate to have all of the desired features when I wanted a composite with those features for this rifle. I won't use a Savage LA again for a LA cartridge, I'll go with a custom. The vast majority of the stocks made for Savages, and there are a lot of them, are only made for the Short Actions and not for the Long Actions. For example, Manners won't make a LA Savage stock at all. The H-S Precision stock that I like isn't offered for a LA, only for a SA. Grayboe doesn't make anything for any Savage, in spite of calling themselves "The People's Stock" (seems to me that if you're going to marketing your biz like that then Savages would be well within your target market). There is no doubt that the options for LA Savages are getting better, but I've been burnt once and won't put myself in that position again and won't suggest that anyone else do so either.

WOW this is a great site because of great people like you willing to share experiences and knowledge to those of us trying to learn. Thank you for all the great input. I am in search of a donor rifle.

WOW this is a great site because of great people like you willing to share experiences and knowledge to those of us trying to learn. Thank you for all the great input. I am in search of a donor rifle.

Until I joined this site, I only knew a Savage could be re barreled with the nut system.

Every single thing else I learned came from other members on this site sharing links ad info plus YouTube. This sight has been amazing for me because of those who have been there before me.

I had issues finding a stock for an old 110e savage with the flat top and the stagger feed a few years back. If you go the savage route, try to make sure you are using one of the newer actions. Stocks and scope bases are allot easier to find. I think one of the major advantages of the savage is the fact that you can buy used barrels with little or no round count for allot less than having to buy a brand new savage or remage barrel.

Love my ugly savage 25-06. Varmint contour but standard twist. I like shooting 85gr bt's fast
Take long action, buy a good prefit barrel, stock, machined barrel nut, recoil lug and a rifle basix trigger or whatever. Shoot little holes for under $1500
Northland shooters supply is worth a call

Love my ugly savage 25-06. Varmint contour but standard twist. I like shooting 85gr bt's fast
Take long action, buy a good prefit barrel, stock, machined barrel nut, recoil lug and a rifle basix trigger or whatever. Shoot little holes for under $1500
Northland shooters supply is worth a call
Not my kind of gun.But it shows that ya dont have to spend $6K to shoot far and have fun.