leupold vs. simmons which is better?

Coyote Runner

It is very hard to compare any Scope based
on Price.

I have both brands and have them on rifles
based on the scopes ability to perform,

On Longrange,heavy recoil and poor light conditions I prefer the leupold {50mm Obj}

On Big bore {40 Cal and up} I like the BURRIS {very tough}

And on very small Cal.{25&down} most any scope will work but dont expect to much.

My best advice would be to buy a scope
based on the type of shooting you intend
to do NOT PRICE.

IMHO I would have to disagree with you ...perhaps you have been lucky! but my Vx1 is what put two of my budys upper end simmons to shame! that kind of speed is really! nothing rather than a big push with that grain pill! maybe that is why it has survived??? when you start pushing 250's over 3200 then we can talk and see if your scope will survive? the sharp recoil will probably rattle the guts out of yours just like by friends 300wby mag did and that was only a sissy load with 180's! Factory stuff.
grin.gif

I take no position, but I will relate a scene I observed at the range, a while ago. This fella had some big overbore 338/340 something or other Magnum? And he broke internals on a very expensive Swarovski high X variable with a large objective. Sorry, don't remember the specifics, if I had to guess, I think it may have been a 4X16X50mm?

Point being, everybody has a failure now and then, regardless of price.

I still like the Leupold warranty though.

Good hunting. LB

Well, I'm certainly not gonna say that the Simmons is better than a Leupy but, I will tell you that Simmons upper end scopes are pretty dang good for the money.

I purchased an Aetec 2.8-10x44 at Wal-Mart several years ago on Red-Tag sale ($105) and decided to mount it on a 30-30. It did great on the 30-30 but, it was alittle to big for that rifle if you know what I mean. Then, I decided to mount it on my Savage ML10 II MLer and was thouroughly impressed w/ the way it performed. I have shot quite a bit of 250 grain pills down range at speeds from 2100-2600 fps and that scope has never lost it's zero. You can probably imagine what kind of recoil a 250 grner has when bumping along at 2600 fps.

Just the other day I brought out that rifle, cleaned it, and fired a few groups down range. Still, right where it was last spring when I put 100s of loads through it. That scope is clear and very durable. Oh, I forgot to mention the bad weather & rough terrain hunts that I lugged that rifle through. I have a couple of trophies hanging on the wall that that cheapy Simmons helped me bag.

I have a Leupy on an old 30-06 that has to be rezeroed year after year. It doesn't move much but, still it doesn't stay "Dead On."

I have shot a couple of rifles equiped w/ Simmons Whitetail Expeditions and let me tell ya, they are every bit as good as some much more expensive scopes.

So, back to the question at hand, I would not say the Simmons scopes are better than Leupies but, the High End Simmons scopes are much more scope for your money than the Leupold Rifleman and VX1 lines but, That's just my opinion.

Good Luck!

Reloader

kac1345,

Yep, 2600 fps w/ 250s out of a MLer. Only a Savage Smokeless will do that. And it will hang w/ a 300 WBY in th recoil department. I'll say it again, Ive had better luck w/ the High end Simmons(WE & Aetec) than the low end Leupies.

Good Luck!

Reloader

Welp good for you
grin.gif
thats why this is a forum so we can all expreess ourselves in a civil manner..I'm glad you have had good luck with them alot of people just hasn't but hey what ever works right
grin.gif
I just choose to spend a little extra on Glass call me Silly I guess?
rolleyes.gif

Kac1345 Out.

Don't feel like the Lone Stranger, kac~

Spending money on good equipment provides comfort for this kid. You buy cheap, you are taking a risk. That's the reality.

I also know a guy with (practically) a safe full of expensive custom rifles and he puts Tascos on all of them. I think it's borderline stupid, but he's happy as a clam. He's also known as an unremarkable shooter, behind his back. Some people can add 2+2 better than others.

Good hunting. LB

[ 11-03-2004: Message edited by: LB ]

Being a devout Leupold fan and user, the words "Leupold and Simmons" should not be mentioned in the same sentence! But......I.....must confess.....I own a Whitetail Hunter which used to sit upon my 10/22.Some years ago i leant this scope to Brit,recently whilst trying Brits rifle with said scope attached i remarked "what a ....scope! I was promptly reminded,it was my scope.
blush.gif

Man, you guys are a tough crowd. You know, he could have been a newbie with very little experience with any optics. I think we were all like that at one point, don't you think? I can remember when I used to put, if you will, inadequate glass on my rifles, but fortunately I had some friends that were kind enough to show me the light. I recognize everyone has different opinions and experiences which make this forum great to be on. I hope you didn't scare him away because if you do pick through all the comments, there is good advice in all that was said. I respect everyone's thoughts.

Leupold!!

[ 11-04-2004: Message edited by: PracTac ]

Well I'll have to say ...yes we were pretty tuff but if he was new ...?
rolleyes.gif
then he should have worded his post a little differant....maybe more of a what do you guys think rather than "I Think" your just paying for the name. you know maybe he was new but being new to this board and SnipersHide, Westcoast Tactical, and the list goes on at one time...you don't come on asking quetions like that
shocked.gif
and if you do you just chalk it up as ohh well dumb question I"ll remember that next time I post. It Takes Time to Earn Respect on these boards ...it's just not handed to ya because your a memeber! as all of you know Trolls love to come on here and caose all kinds of SH%t and who really knows if your real untill you have been here for a while...Coyote_Runner if your truley a newbie ..just take it with a grain of salt ...don't run off because thats what keeps these forums going fresh questions and fresh members..Sorry if I was Harsh in any way.
smile.gif
Keith

Kac1345, You are correct about that, his wording could have been better and wording can be very important. I think we've all learned not to be thin-skinned and if you haven't you best find a different forum.

Steve

CENTRE PUNCH
Cheers Ian,the small amount of "street cred`" i once possibly had has now evaporated.This site is now aware that i use not only a Simmons but a borrowed Simmons.
blush.gif
blush.gif
blush.gif
THE SHAME. LOL

On a more serious note,i have found it a good little scope when you take its modest(in my case free)cost into account.It has stood the recoil of my 308 no problem and i evan shot my last Roe using it.
When making comparisons about anything i think those comparisons must be fair and realistic.By all means compare the Simmons to other budget scopes but not high end top dollar optics like the Leupold.
The little Simmons has served me well but will be shortly replaced by a new VX111.
grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.