Leupold guys-Questions

wyosteve

I'll start by confessing I am not a dial up guy and don't want to learn. I recently picked up a VX6 1-6 Leupold. Mounted it and first trip to the range found I do not have enough elevation adjustment. Windage is fine. So, based on the attached pics, does the elevation dial appear to be a custom dial? It's definitely different than the windage dial. If it is a custom dial, can I remove it by loosening what appear to be tiny set screws on each side of the dial? If I do that is the regular elevation dial still underneath or do I need to send it in to be brought back to original factory specs? I know I can and will call Leupold if necessary, but thought I'd bounce it off the LRH brain trust first. Thanks for any insight. The first photo is the windage dial, the rest are of the elevation dial. IMG_1566.jpegIMG_1567.jpegIMG_1568.jpegIMG_1569.jpeg

I know you dont want to learn to use the dial..... but if you zero at 100yds you can dial the POI up 2inches when you want to shoot a MPBR zero. Then you can quickly return to 100yd zero for closer shots.
Not "really" dialing for drops but sort of an in-between use of that kind of scope without having to learn to use it proper...

I may try that. It's on a .416 Rem. Mag. so long distance shots are out of the question in any event. Of course, the 'wrench' that fits the small screws wasn't included. But I just got off the phone with Leupold and they are sending me a couple! Rep. said it's a 51/1000 size! Really tiny since it's an older model VX6.

Ive so far never had a cap fall off but have had them come loose... those screws are super tiny... id keep one of those wrenches with you hunting.

Using a dial like that for close vs mpbr would work good for rifles with poor trajectories so you dont have to deal with large holdovers for those rare "longer" shots. Just memorize the amount of clicks.

It's on a .416 Rem. Mag. so long distance shots are out of the question in any event.
Depends on your definition of "long range" I was hunting in Tanzania with one of our members and shot a Buffalo at 355 yards with his 416. He knew the exact hold and wind. Bullet hit exactly where it should.

It can be done and it's pretty darn effective at or under 400 yards.

Gents, are you all sure we aren't dealing with a zero stop issue here? I'm not that familiar with Leupolds, but I wouldn't be surprised if a scope of that quality/expense if it had a zero stop.

Gents, are you all sure we aren't dealing with a zero stop issue here? I'm not that familiar with Leupolds, but I wouldn't be surprised if a scope of that quality/expense if it had a zero stop.
Likely doesn't have a zero stop. Still needs to remove the cap to set zero and then put the cap back on aligning the zero. The whole thing is odd to me. A long range hunting page and no desire to learn to properly use the scope. I'm weird like that tho. I don't join ford forum's to talk about chevy.

Last edited:
I have shared a similar thought with friends that have flat shooting cartridges intended and regularly used in western US.

However, I can also see where putting a scope on a rifle that.is otherwise perfectly suited for the intended use, like this seems to be, and not worry about using every feature. A 1-4x scope on a heavy magnum like that, with intention of using it on 20-150 yd shots, without using the advantage of the dial, isn't all that much of a handicap.

I hunted South Africa this year, and one of my take aways was that both.of.my rifles had scope that dialed down to 4x. I thought that wpukd be plenty low enough. When I go next time, my scopes will probably be in the 1-8x or 2-10x range.

I have shared a similar thought with friends that have flat shooting cartridges intended and regularly used in western US.

However, I can also see where putting a scope on a rifle that.is otherwise perfectly suited for the intended use, like this seems to be, and not worry about using every feature. A 1-4x scope on a heavy magnum like that, with intention of using it on 20-150 yd shots, without using the advantage of the dial, isn't all that much of a handicap.

I hunted South Africa this year, and one of my take aways was that both.of.my rifles had scope that dialed down to 4x. I thought that wpukd be plenty low enough. When I go next time, my scopes will probably be in the 1-8x or 2-10x range.
It depends on where you hunt. Africa has a lot of topography to traverse and wide range of animals to hunt. It reminds me of the archery hunts where gents are practicing 80 plus and all hunts are out of blind and less than 20. I agree with your statements but I was keying on the statement about not being a dial guy and no desire to learn, just struck as me as odd on this page.

I also think that if it were me, and I was not going to use the dial, I woukd sight it in using the Maximum point blank range approach.

WTOSTEVE- If you provide the bullet type, weight and velocity, I can give you the data you need without beating yourself up too much at the range. You could just site in, and verify with a few shots.

Just a thought here buddy, But I like having the "Dial Up: option on my Leupold scopes. Ex; With, my 270 Win/130 Grn. Ballistic tip, at 3025 fps (Lab Radar), I can easily just hold over a bit at 150 Yds and even 200 yards. But it's just a simple turn of a Dial to be Zero at 300 yards. Like I said, I like being able to have a choice. I always have my cheat sheet on my left arm, so I can.( if I have too) hold over at 300 or even 350 if needed. Just ,my 2 cents