Leica crf 1600 here! (short review)

I found it in the Leica Instructions:

"The LEICA RANGEMASTER CRF 1600 can be set to metric units or the Imperial units more commonly used in the USA, i.e. either meters/Celsius/millibars or Yards/Fahrenheit/PSI (pounds per square inch) for distance/temperature/atmospheric pressure respectively."

Looks like it is PSI. I don't know which part of the USA units of PSI for atmospheric pressure is "commonly used in the USA" for barometric or atmospheric pressure. I've never seen it commonly used where I've live anywhere on the nightly news or in any weather forecasts. So for that unit of atmospheric pressure to be useful for me, I'll have to convert it to 'Inches Hg' (mercury) or 'millibars'.

That's a shame. This is the first item I've read of where Leica may have missed the mark.

Unfortunate and ridiculous. Millibars at sea and inches Hg on land--pretty typical usage in the US from what I have seen. The nice folks from Leica must not have done their research very well...

I love Leica products, but I hope they never build an airplane. It would probably fly real nice, but navigation would be a bitch with a airspeed indicator in furlongs/per hour and an altimeter reading in yoctometers (yes, that is a real unit of length, 1 foot=3.048 x (10^23)).

:) :D Now that would require a calculator for units conversion!

It would seem that the Leica 1600 is really only good for two things, a good range and a incline/decline and that's about the end of it. I wouldn't leave my Kestrel at home or my PPC with Loadbase 3.0 and Exbal! It is still a great looking deal just for the range!

I think it also provides temperature. I'm afraid to learn the units of measure of temperature. Probably shown on the Kelvin scale. Just in case it does, here's the mathematical conversion from Kelvin to Fahrenheit. Fahrenheit = (K - 273.15) * 9/5 + 32 :rolleyes:

Leica needs to hire at least one resident of the USA that speaks English and understands the units of measure employed in the U S of A.

I am glad to hear you are happy with it and ranges you are getting; it makes me feel better about selling my 1200.
Umm, but the OP said it does display angle, and on Leica's website "barometric pressure, angle of incline and temperature display"

It is the units used in the pressure reading I am wondering about; I saw somewhere it is possibly PSI?

It tells you the angle in degrees (not the true ballistic range)... Doesnt have the angle accounted for range ... just true line of sight..l. and an angle reading....temp, barometric .. gun)

I guess this is like the Sony walkman; first we make it big, then smaller and smaller.

Instead of just producing something that combines a ballistic calculator with a LRF, they slowly incorporate functions over time until we end up with what we want.

So I figure by 2015 and after upgrading 6 times we will have what we all want.

Just a sanity check here. Not a perfect solution but if I know the line of sight range and the angle, can't I take the cosine of the angle and apply it to the range to get the corrected distance?
I just want to make sure I understand what this unit can provide and how much more I need to do to get to the final solution.

Would appreciate someone confirming (or otherwise) my thinking.

Thanks, Havingfun

I think it also provides temperature. I'm afraid to learn the units of measure of temperature. Probably shown on the Kelvin scale. Just in case it does, here's the mathematical conversion from Kelvin to Fahrenheit. Fahrenheit = (K - 273.15) * 9/5 + 32 :rolleyes:

Fortunately your a Loadbase user, you can make all your conversions in the conversions tab, may work better than trying to do math. I think I'll stay with a Kestrel and my Leica 1200 but I would like to upgrade to the Leica 1600 just because of the range and angle feature. I don't use angle much because I generally set up directly across from my intended target but some day I may need it and it would be nice to have it built into gear I already carry.

Fortunately you're a Loadbase user, you can make all your conversions in the conversions tab, may work better than trying to do math. I think I'll stay with a Kestrel and my Leica 1200 but I would like to upgrade to the Leica 1600 just because of the range and angle feature. I don't use angle much because I generally set up directly across from my intended target but some day I may need it and it would be nice to have it built into gear I already carry.

Guess I'll have to locate and find the conversions tab in LB3. I don't believe I've ever used that feature.

I am inclined to purchase one of these CRF 1600s. I'll have to convert atmospheric pressure in psi over to Inches/Hg for station pressures - the way I currently see and understand it. So thanks for pointing out that LB3 feature. I'll look into it and figure out if it will readily perform this conversion.

I commonly engage game animals at inclined or declined angles. 30 degrees at 725 yards is the maximum I've fired over to date. The temperature, atmospheric pressure, and angle features all have value to me. Since the CRF 1600 will apparently range almost the same distances as my Swaro, changing over to the 1600 is likely what I will do prior to next spring's bear season.

I guess this is like the Sony walkman; first we make it big, then smaller and smaller.

Instead of just producing something that combines a ballistic calculator with a LRF, they slowly incorporate functions over time until we end up with what we want.

So I figure by 2015 and after upgrading 6 times we will have what we all want.

That may be the profit motive truth there...if so, I'll have to hold off 'til 2015...:cool:

Sure seems like someone could take a giant leap beyond the 'pack' and give us the combo binos/rangefinder/temp/barometer/real ballistic computer, etc. in one unit.

Guess I'll have to locate and find the conversions tab in LB3. I don't believe I've ever used that feature.

I am inclined to purchase one of these CRF 1600s. I'll have to convert atmospheric pressure in psi over to Inches/Hg for station pressures - the way I currently see and understand it. So thanks for pointing out that LB3 feature. I'll look into it and figure out if it will readily perform this conversion.

I commonly engage game animals at inclined or declined angles. 30 degrees at 725 yards is the maximum I've fired over to date. The temperature, atmospheric pressure, and angle features all have value to me. Since the CRF 1600 will apparently range almost the same distances as my Swaro, changing over to the 1600 is likely what I will do prior to next spring's bear season.

The conversions tab is excellent, I use it all the time for things other than ballistics and when I need to change things from MOA to MILL or IPHY to MOA.
I think that the 1600 would be great and intend to get one, I wish they would have just used better units and left of the wimpy ballistics deal, maybe by the time I upgrade they will have the correct units :D

FYI: 1 pound/square inch = 2.036 020 657 6 inch of mercury [0 °C]
1 pound/square inch = 68.947 572 8 millibar
13 pound/square inch = 26.468 268 549 inch of mercury [0 °C]

We can probably get by with multiplying the psi number by 2 to get in/Hg. It is probably close enough for most of us. Although I know there will be that one guy who says that a few 1/10 in/Hg was enough to miss the biggest bull in the world and ultimately lead to the divorce and his subsequent arrest..

I love Leica products, but I hope they never build an airplane. It would probably fly real nice, but navigation would be a bitch with a airspeed indicator in furlongs/per hour and an altimeter reading in yoctometers (yes, that is a real unit of length, 1 foot=3.048 x (10^23)).

I like your airplane analogy! I just received mine and was scrathing my head with a 13.46 reading on my atmospheric pressure. Who the heck uses that?.....Rich

I just recieved the new 1600. I was a little disapointed to find out that it does not display true ballistic range. Does anyone know the math if i have my range and include the angle?

I just recieved the new 1600. I was a little disapointed to find out that it does not display true ballistic range. Does anyone know the math if i have my range and include the angle?

Its the cosine x angle x measured distance. I carry a small pocket calculator that has the cosine function and it is an easy conversion....Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts