Leica crf 1600 here! (short review)

My 1600 arrived today, but I have not opened it. I just started long range shooting two years ago and, on level shots, I'm very proficient. With that behind me, I'm starting to work on the incline shots and that's why I bought the 1600, to get the temp, pressure and incline.

After reading the previous posts, I need some advice. Is the 1600 the best unit for my needs or will the 1200 unit be better? Is there a better way to get the pressure and incline measurements? I'm not planning on any shots longer than 800 yards.

My wind meter has a temp function, so the 1600 only adds pressure and incline. That's an extra $200 over the 1200. If there is a better way to get the other measurements, I'd exchange the unit.

I have yet to wish I had a lesser range finder but many times I have been frustrated by wimpy range finders. You will grow into the 1600 for sure and it never hurts to have some redundant features.

I got my 1600 on Monday, had to send it into Lecia. The setting modes would not work. It was set for meters and could not be changed to US measurements. Not too upset, these things happen. Will let you know more when I get one that works properly.

Jim

I also agree with the others.. Keep the 1600. If you are like me you will always be growing, and wanting to shoot farther. Five years ago when I started this long range game, I never thought I would be shooting over 1000 yards. Now I am having a custom gun built that will allow me to shoot WAY out there. You will never regret having too much ranging capability.

Does the 1600 have a true ballistic range readout like the new Leupold..steep angle and it says 625 yards shoot like 575yards for example...or does it just give you degree of angle.... I orderd one hoping that is what it does...gun)

To all that responded to my earlier post, thanks so much for the advice. I will be keeping the 1600. Up to now I've used a Bushnell 800, but it only ranged to 400 with any consistency. Setting targets, I always had to set one or two intermediates in order to get the longest ones set. I agree that I will be able to grow into this one and like all things, you always find limitations to whatever you buy.

Thanks again. Enjoy the hunts this fall. gun)

Ultramag;
The range displayed on the Leica is always the true line of sight distance. The processor DOES NOT compensate for angle and give a horizontal shooting distance like other angle compensating range finders. I assume the reason they doe not do this, is because it can calculate the amount of correction needed to hit a target after calculating the angle, temp, and pressure for a specific ballistic curve. I am sure they felt this would be more precise than just a simple angle calculation. Too bad it only works out to about 550yds/10moa.....

Leica.... Please modify the software/processor to allow a ballistic coefficient and velocity!!!!! I would gladly pay $1,000 for a unit that had the angle, temp, baro, and a TRUE ballistic calculator.

I suppose as soon as someone makes a unit like this, then I will want one that has a compass and corrects for corriolis effect too. Ohhh don't forget spin drift!:D

aroshtr

Thankyou very much, that is what I was lookin for....Yeah you would think with all of that stuff on that thing it would be true line of sight at all angles...Too Bad about the ballistic curve though.. I was really hoping they could get out past 550.... Your right I would gladly pay 1000 bucks for one that did it all...... Again thanksgun):)

One LRF unit that 'does it all' would be overly complex for the majority of Leica's or any other LRF manufacturer's users, in my opinion. Leica is evidently keeping it simple for the majority of their users, who aren't die-hard LRHs. I don't believe they would sell many units if they cost twice what this unit costs. A good ballistics program in and of itself requires a bit of knowledge and experience to operate properly. Once I become familiar with one, I'm not going to be inclined to run with any generic ballistics software thrown in as an extra feature on a LRF. I'll continue to use the one I've become familiar with. The one that includes spin drift, Coriolis drift, Eotvos affects, factors in corrected atmospheric pressure for angled shots, and has proven itself to accurately predict dope over the years.

I do like the atmospheric pressure, temperature, and angle of inclination/declination features on this Leica 1600, on top of the fact that it will likely range far enough to meet my needs. So I expect to own one before too long. I'll wait to receive some more feedback on its ranging capabilities before pulling the trigger. My Swaro is doing the job for me in the mean time.

Received mine also as posted but now it has me thinking. I have typical spot i range off of my deck at a log cabin next ridge over that a friend has. I have agervated him a few times to place me a target to take a shot with my edge, he thinks im kidding but would love to send one. Okey, my problem is i ranged it with my new 1600 at 1021 yards. Now this is a pretty good target ( log cabin ) and it is up hill cant give the degree though. Now my 1200 and swar. ranges it 1120 - 1124 depending on which one and i would say thats pretty close for 2 different range finders. How ever is there something wrong with my new 1600 or is it correcting for the angle? 100 yards at that range means a lot of dialing in wrong yardage. What to do now?
Mike

1021 meters = 1117 yards

That is the most likely explanation. Switch your Leica CRF 1600 to read out in yards rather than meters and you'll be right back in the ballpark.

went to Cabela's yesterday with a buddy they had one left we took it out side and ranged a group of scrubb oak on a otherwise bare hillside i tried a couple times but no reading it was 2pm full sun my buddy tried got a reading of 1658 i tried again no reading the first few tries then i got 1930 @ the same group of trees my buddy bought it and i haven't talked to him yet to see if he was getting more consistant readings I'll keep this post informed when I hear I want one but 300 yard separate readings has me a little nervous.

1021 meters = 1117 yards

That is the most likely explanation. Switch your Leica CRF 1600 to read out in yards rather than meters and you'll be right back in the ballpark.
Guess i feel like a real jackass now. But im like a few others with out a manual. thanks
mike

Shoot me an email and I'll forward you a PDF of the manual.
My 1600 didn't come with one, but while waiting, I got in touch with the company and it arrived a week before the unit.
Glad to send anybody a copy that needs one.
[email protected]

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.