Leica 1600B

Still trying to figure this out myself. One issue I have is that the temp reading seems usually to be high. If you keep this near your body while hunting in the cold, it is very likely to be off by a large margin. Unlike my Kestrel it does not adjust to changes in temp quckly, as the thermostat must be buried deep in the unit. It read 10 deg high today, reading 85 degress, which is significant to me.

Agreed. I believe the instructions bring this to the users attention. I think with lots of use/practice comparing it to your Kestrel, it will be easier to obtain the correct temp. Just now, messing around with my Shooter program I get an extra 3.2" drop @ 1000 yds when I decrease the temp 10 F. This is with a 127 gr LRX in my 6.5x47 running around 2800 fps.

Alan

I bought this thinking I was just getting "angle" adjusted, but in reality it includes Angle, Temp, and Baromentric Pressure.

So I'm relatively new to this, but aren't all the adjustments really based on a base set of assumptions, i/e I shoot routinely at 2350' of elevation. My field drops would be varied based on that base elevation and an assumed temp. I practice a lot during the warmer summer where shooting temps are routinely in the 70's.

I use various simple drop programs, but there I input a base assumption for each also, usually 50deg and 5000' feet. I use this because, in general, temp/elev offset each other and since I usually hunt at 7000 feet and 30 deg in late oct and early nov this keeps my drops relatively close.

What does Leica put in for the base assumptions that the adjustments are made off of? The only input I have is my zero, correct?

I have been surprised by the amount of the correction my 1600b gives, given some fairly small angles, less than 5deg, but adjustments of ~10%. Those readings came at ~80deg temps and 6000' of elevation.

Interestingly, the instruction tell you to keep the unit close to your body as cold temps are not good for the battery, but that would dramatically overstate your actual shooting conditions. Would that make sense if you usually kept your ammo in the same chest pocket though, or is that just the pressure affect on your powder?

I'm thinking too much and loosing it.......help!!

It strikes me that the Correction table options that come from Zeiss, even on the flatter end, are all relatively low BC, but successively higher velocity based. For ex. US 2(200yd zero) shows 300,400, and 500 yd drops(in) of -5.5, -17.3, and -38.2. The flattest US 1, shows -4.6, -14.3, and -30.8. The drops from 400 to 500 are the basis for my beliefs.

I will go home and try the US 1 chart at farther ranges. My goal is not to get any kind of drop data, I have that chart already, I just want the yardage adjustment in Ehr mode to be as close as possible based primarily on angle.

Back from my weekend Utah spike elk hunt. Finally, great weather; sunny, conditions that allowed me to hike up to my favorite spot that's 11,100' elev. A ridge that elk travel over when pushed by hunters below. Sure enough, 4 minutes into shooting light here comes a 5-pt dink brush bull. He'd be in the freezer right now had it not been for the fact that it was a spike only area. As the morning progressed, I wanted to see how the Leica 1600-B would work at both colder temps and at that high altitude. Mixed results. Everything worked; temp, baro pressure, angle, ranging. What did not work was the ballistic computer. The baro pressure was 19.7 to 20.1 in the 8 hours I was on top. I checked the ballistic computer when I got back down to around 10,000' elev and it was working again. On the way down, I tried it just above 10,000' and it would not work. So, just FYI for future users. Take a back up, even double back system for LR shooting. I had printed dope and it matched up well with my EXBAL. I then tried my Shooter program on my DROID cell phone and it worked with the 19.7 baro pressure. Even goofed around, passing the time and input 17 baro pressure and it still worked.

Woke up this am and crancked up the Leica to see how it worked after it soaked in the cold all night. Worked fine. Temp said 16 deg F.

Also, when I tried to enter 19.7 baro pressure into my EXBAL it too would not accept anything less than 20.

Alan

is the 1600b worth the extra? its poor brother (1600) gives range and angle but you'd need a chart to get actual range and holdover/clicks; the b gives true range but won't give holdover/clicks if true range is selected.is this the wash up?

Steeles1,

If your intent is for a simple LRF that will tell you the range, both will go out to close to 2000 yds. I've done it with both.

If your looking for a LRF with their numerous features, you've found the right ones; depending on how far you need.

The 1600, which I like to call the "A" model will go out to 575 yds with it's ballistic calculators.

The 1600-B will go out to 875 yds.

The A model will, of course, give range in yards or meters. It WILL give you drop in MOA. It will not give "hold-over" such as holding over 22", etc. It will give you angle, temp and baro pressure in psia. At first the psia confused me but I later learned to simply double the output. Example: 12.2 psia, I simply double to 24.4 baro.

To me, the end user should decide if 1) 575 yds is enough and 2) if the extra features such as hold over in inches is desired.

Just a few days ago, in Montana, I was able to use my 1600-B to quickly obtain a firing solution for 500 yds while a 3x4 mulie buck was sky lined. I made the shot and brought home some future summer sausage.

Alan
Hope this helps.

Do keep in mind that both units use generic BC curves for the trajectory outputs so you can't input your specific bullet BC to get your exact numbers. If you are lucky to find a curve close to the load you are shooting then it will work ok, especially when we are talking about the shorter distances that these units work to, ie 575-875.

If they would add a true trajectory calculator like the G7 then they would really have something.

Scot E.

Scott,

I couldn't agree more. Where I love this thing is 1) when I need a FAST/precise firing solution I have it and 2) if it's beyond 875/550 then I can still use the angle/baro/temp readings to input into my handheld ballistic calc.

Alan

The other option they need to add is to show the shoot to distance when incline/decline is being used. Then it could be used for bowhunting and also for BDC turret users like BOTW, G7, and Kenton turrets users.

Scot E.

The other option they need to add is to show the shoot to distance when incline/decline is being used. Then it could be used for bowhunting and also for BDC turret users like BOTW, G7, and Kenton turrets users.

Scot E.

The "B" model will give a "shoot to" distance in the EHR mode. One simply pushes the button, gets the straight line range and in about a second the adjusted "angle" distance is displayed in the view finder. Problem is it won't work less than 82-83 yds so bow hunters are out of luck.

Alan

Thats good to hear, I just bit the bullet and got one on order.

What about the tripod adapter? Is that worth the extra money, or can you steady it just as easy on something else?

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.