Leica 1600 thoughts

I know I really wasn't planning on buying one till I could read their instruction manual but... you know they won't be on sale anytime soon so might as well jump on the grenade. Can always use it this hunting season and send it back if it doesn't work out

I doubt you'll be disappointed. what are the odds of this Leica 1600 developing nose slump? :)

I doubt you'll be disappointed. what are the odds of this Leica 1600 developing nose slump? :)

10-4 on that. Leica is solid in every way. Maybe in a few years we'll see binocs with this technology of ballistic compensation built in...an upgraded BRF line! Now that's the ideal setup, at least for myself. Two less things to carry: No rangefinder, no weather station. Sweet. Until that day comes I think these will do.

Just got an email from Cabelas. Mr. Brown will be here on Monday with my new toy!!!!! Can't wait to see how it works. I hate to be the Gunie pig, but I have faith in Leica, and that it will be a great new addition to the long range game.

aroshtr

I just visited Leica's web site. No literature, user manual, or technical information is available through their web site for the CRF 1600 as of a few minutes ago. Perhaps the first LRH member to obtain one can provide some of the user manual as a scanned pdf document for the rest of us to review?

I just visited Leica's web site. No literature, user manual, or technical information is available through their web site for the CRF 1600 as of a few minutes ago. Perhaps the first LRH member to obtain one can provide some of the user manual as a scanned pdf document for the rest of us to review?

I'll be able to do that. It won't be until the evening of August 12th though. I'm out of town working until then. If nothing is posted by then I'll scan the instruction manual and release to the hounds!

I would be more concerned with the beam divergence of the new 1600. If they just enlarged the beam to get longer reading, like the Swaro, then I would stick with the CRF 1200. The smaller beam of the 1200 is it's best feature. I have not yet been able to find the beam size of the CRF1600

JMO

Jeff
The instruction manual for the 1600 indicates the beam divergence is .5 x 2.5 mrad. The instruction manual for my CRF 1200 indicates the beam divergence for that model is .5 x 2.4 mrad.

Any more feed back on how far the CRF 1600 is consistently ranging out too under ideal conditions and nonideal conditions? Actually looking into returning my zeiss 10x45 RFs (excellent unit) to fit both long rang shooting and bowhunting needs. Smaller unit is easier with bow in hand and animal close by but I need the long range capabilities for rifle. I'd save almost 2000 too. Hard to let go of the zeiss but I back pack hunt and I think I can get by lighter with my pentax dcf sp's and a CRF 1600. Thoughts, considerations?

Thanks,
Conrad

I'm not sure how to define "consistently" or "ideal conditions". I ranged a white barn yesterday at 1881 yards: five for five, all within 2 yards of each other. There have been some rare instances where I could not range objects closer than 1000 yards.

I had the CRF 1200 previously. This unit ranges further, without a doubt. I think for the money and size it is the best unit on the market presently for under $1000. The Swarovski may range further but is larger, heavier, and has a larger aiming reticle.

Thanks for the reply. I have gotten 1600+ on certain buldings and trees, but I have not surpassed 1700 that I can recall? If I did it was barely, as I know I have not reached a mile with the with my Zeiss RF binos. It is not always easy to get the further ranges. They are pretty consistent out to ~1500.

Ideal conditions would be no "weather" in the air causing beam refraction, and not overly bright such that there is beam interference, and I guess a reflective target.

It sounds like your CRF has reached further distances, and is pretty good at 1200 and in most of the time? I think Leica still has the best LED display. I have an old 1200 LRF scan. My Zeiss binos are sweet, but bulky for archery, and if I'm rifle hunting mulies and glassing with separate binos (that weigh less) I think at long ranges I have plenty of time to grab the CRF out of a shirt pocket and get a range.

Just trying to find the most versatile unit for my needs. Combo units are cool, but I think I'm learning that they have their downfalls....decreased warranty, substantially increased price, not ideal for archery. Excellent range but if the CRF 1600 has just as good as a laser, then I think I'll trade in.

I just wanted good real world use on the CRF's capabilities, because I do need long distance ranging capabilities that are right up there with the other top lasers range finders.

Saving 2000 bucks will be a plus in going towards a new PH scope too.

Thanks for the feedback, hope to hear more.

-Conrad

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.