Leica 1600 thoughts

ShooterMedic

Like most of us, I have been doing some research of the 1600,

Here are my thoughts,

The 1600 has a built in thermometer and barometic pressure gauge which automatically are factored into the range finder shown range.

That is great however. Lets say that I driving to a coyote stand out side the weather is 30 degrees and there is a cold front moving in. The perfect time to be out looking for dogs. Now do to the fact that my wife is with me the inside my truck where my rangefinder is, the temp is a much warmer 65 degrees. I see a coyote, pull over and take a reading on the yote. How affected will the distance reading be due to the difference in temp and pressure?

Even if I am not in my truck, when I am in the field I usually keep my binos and rangfinder well protected from the elements, could that also change my rangefinders accuracy?

Will it be the computed distance to the target or will it be the Balistic compter that will be affected.

From what I have read they work together and show only one yardage to the target.

I hope you can follow me though that.

Any thoughts are welcome.

Like most of us, I have been doing some research of the 1600,

Here are my thoughts,

The 1600 has a built in thermometer and barometic pressure gauge which automatically are factored into the range finder shown range.

From what I have read they work together and show only one yardage to the target.

I hope you can follow me though that.

Any thoughts are welcome.

I really doubt that the temperature and atmospheric pressure are unavailable to the user; such as hidden within a range in yards or meters to the target. No ballistics software I'm aware of works that way.

If this is what Leica has done, then these two features (temperature and atmospheric pressure) will be useless to the majority of users, since these data would only be useful for those users intending to be solely dependent on Leica's ballistic program.

I could be wrong, but I won't believe this until it's confirmed in Leica literature as "Fact".

Last edited:
I would not worry about the pressure unless your truck is hermatically sealed. I just ran 65 degree and 30 degree temperatures through my ballistic program and the difference in drop at 300 yds using a 6.5 139 grain bullet at 2862 fps was .47 inches.:D
Russ

I would be more concerned with the beam divergence of the new 1600. If they just enlarged the beam to get longer reading, like the Swaro, then I would stick with the CRF 1200. The smaller beam of the 1200 is it's best feature. I have not yet been able to find the beam size of the CRF1600

JMO

Jeff

Thanks for your input.

I agree the beam divergance is the most important feature.

I agree I can't wait to try one. I am still siting on the fence to whether I want the 1600, the 1200, or the fusion 1600 there is alot of good review on the fusion, and I need a bino upgrade.

How much are you asking for the 1200. Can you send me some pics?

500 shipped in us, pics if your serious i can. i thinks alot of times pics are a pita on some items like this when you can see one on any web site, Leica 1200 with case.
mike

I would be more concerned with the beam divergence of the new 1600. If they just enlarged the beam to get longer reading, like the Swaro, then I would stick with the CRF 1200. The smaller beam of the 1200 is it's best feature. I have not yet been able to find the beam size of the CRF1600

JMO

Jeff

Like wise I have not been able to find the CRF 1600 beam size nor accuracy spec.:rolleyes:

As stated the 1200 beam size is its best feature, once the precise aiming point is determined in relation to the red rectangle.

By spec. she's off as much as .21 MOA @ 1k. That error added to all of the other errors in the process and you have more near misses than you would expect.

That worries me.:)

Like wise I have not been able to find the CRF 1600 beam size nor accuracy spec.:rolleyes:

As stated the 1200 beam size is its best feature, once the precise aiming point is determined in relation to the red rectangle.

By spec. she's off as much as .21 MOA @ 1k. That error added to all of the other errors in the process and you have more near misses than you would expect.

That worries me.:)

What do you mean by spec. shes off as much as .21 moa at 1000? I'm not sure I follow you. ALso, I haven't beeb able to find if it has a reticle or a circle like the swaro?

Spec say 0.5 mRad at greater than 800 yards.

Not sure if my calculation was correct. But I came up with 0.21 MOA @ 1000.

Which isn't all that much but my thinking says to remove all the "mechanical" error possible.

I'm just supposin' that the aiming LED is the same as the 1200 and CRF???

I'm looking forward to these Leica 1600's hitting the shelves. Pretty sure I'll buy one and test it against my Swaro. If it truly ranges 1600 yds, that will be sufficient for my long range use. I value the temperature and atmospheric pressure readings the unit will provide. I might be able to begin leaving the Kestrel 4000 at house. The 1600 is less than 1/5 the price of the PLRF-10 by Vectronix, smaller in size, and lighter in weight. If the Leica 1600 quits, breaks, is lost, or stolen, I'm out $700 instead of $3500 to $4000.

The PLRF-10 sounds like it's capable of substantially longer ranges, so if a guy's dead set on shooting game and rocks at ranges of 1 mile and farther, then the availability of the Vectronix is like a dream come true. I can't extend my ranges to those distances in the terrain I hunt, and more limiting is the fact that I don't even have any place to practice at 1 mile, so I won't miss the extra yardage capability of the more expensive PLRF-10. I wonder how the Vectronix warranty works in case of unit malfunction?

The 1600 is less than 1/5 the price of the PLRF-10 by Vectronix, smaller in size, and lighter in weight. If the Leica 1600 quits, breaks, is lost, or stolen, I'm out $700 instead of $3500 to $4000.

The PLRF-10 sounds like it's capable of substantially longer ranges, so if a guy's dead set on shooting game and rocks at ranges of 1 mile and farther, then the availability of the Vectronix is like a dream come true. I can't extend my ranges to those distances in the terrain I hunt, and more limiting is the fact that I don't even have any place to practice at 1 mile, so I won't miss the extra yardage capability of the more expensive PLRF-10. I wonder how the Vectronix warranty works in case of unit malfunction?

I made a few calls about warranty... Honestly, the answers were the same. No problems with them. Try to remember this is a mil-spec unit used by our military.
Now sure it can fail,,, what can't? But we for sure know the Swaros will, that is why I have been carring two. If the PLRF fails I will resort to the CRF 1200 as back up and will realize I am handicapped till my Vectronix returns.

I hope the CRF 1600 is awesome. I am sure it will be a value for sure at that price. But remember, the swaro and the CRF 1200 as far as really ranging the animal is limited to probably 1000~1200 yards MAX in good conditions. Remember I have been carryng both a Swaro and a CRF for two years now. If you feeel that 9 foot circular beam of the swaro at 1500 yards is truely returning a range on the animal... well enjoy that thought if it makes you feel better. If you can be sure that tree, rock, bush or hillside you have to range instead at 1000 plus is indeed at the exact same distance as the game and not 20 yards closer or farther.... well, good luck with that too.

When you punch those number into your program,also remember "junk in junk out". The most important number is distance in my book, and the farther out the more so.

Yeah, I might be out of my mind for investing in a REAL RF. But, what will serve me better? Those two or three scoped rifles in the back of the safe I have not used for 4 or 5 years, or a rangefinder that will bust a number to the exact yard, 3 times consecutively in bright sun on a deer or antelope at 1200 ~ 1500 yards on flat ground? Hmmmm? and it will make me shoot all my rifles better too. :cool:

It is easy when talking RF's to go straight to thinking about the max yardage. But what I feel matters is not the fact I can now range rocks at 1500 to 2000 yards in mid-day sun or a tree to 2950 yards. But the fact that my RF will range the actual deer, elk or coyote to 1200 ~1400 yards with authority. Pus, I ain't laying there again with a trophy in front of me with one of the great Swaros that wont turn on or fails range the game. Remember I have lost a record Whitetail and a 350" bull from this very senerio.

Many people spend well more than the price of a PLRF 10 on one guided hunt. So why not spend 1/2 that on a great piece of equipment that will last a lifetime.

Justify it or not. Hard to beat good gear.

JMO

Jeff

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.