Left bolt / Right port for right handed shooter

DMack

Anyone ever try this? I have been wondering if it would be easier to manipulate while keeping your head on the rifle and maintaining a shooting grip with your right hand.
Light recoiling rifle in a chassis, thinking 6 Creed or similar.

Lemme know what you think....

Be interesting to see you try and how you like it. Maybe shoot a left-handed gun awhile and see how the bolt stroke feels to you.

I think I'd prefer the right bolt/left port version because if you have to pull you left arm back far enough to finish the bolt stroke, you've lost position anyway. As a right-handed bolt gunner for a long time, I'm used to operating the bolt right-handed without lifting my head or moving my shoulder anyway.

I do that with my benchrest rifle. It also ejects the fired case out the right side.
If you're not going to have a repeater then a left port on a right bolt action is a good way to go.

Anyone ever try this? I have been wondering if it would be easier to manipulate while keeping your head on the rifle and maintaining a shooting grip with your right hand.

I like your thinking, it makes sense to me as well. I will add it depends on the trigger and the bolt timing. This is based on a right bolt left port AMT 450ss I have. This rifle I believe was built in the late 90's. It's a short range benchrest in 22-250 (I inherited it from my late father-in-law). It has a jewel trigger and it completely upsets the rifle opening the bolt (cocking the action). It is this one scenario in which I believe left bolt right port would be better. This being said with all the actions and triggers used today I believe it would be a non issue especially with a Borden action.

I had a bench gun with left bolt right port. I perfer left handed actions for prairie dogs and benchrest. Manipulating the bolt and loading with my left hand allows me to never get off the scope and maintain a conassistant weld.

Yes, and I prefer my dominant side, the right hand/right port, even though I am left-eye dominant.

..here's my son shooting my Borden TPE action that is Right bolt/Left port, makes it easy to handle timed competition at matches...
20210704_111144.jpg

Shooting bench rest, it really doesn't matter to me. However, when hunting prairie dogs, left bolt and left port for me. Shooting bolt handguns, I never have to take my right hand off the grip and maintain the same hold. Shooting single shot, I would also rather pick my brass out instead of ejecting to the dirt.