Lead times, How long is too long?

Years ago I met a big name custom rifle builder and spec'd a pre 64 model 70 and an exhibition walnut stock. Worked out all details on caliber, bbl, metal, etc. I spent several hours with him and sealed the deal with a 50% deposit. He quoted me 1year for the build. I called him one year later to check on the build, he told me he was waiting on my deposit to start the gun. I forwarded him a copy of my cancelled check. He was so very embarrassed at his oversight. He upgraded the stock blank to an unbelievable hunk of wood. I had the completed rifle in hand 5 weeks later. I appreciate that he accepted his oversight and made it right ASAP.

Makes a ton of sense. There seems to be a prevailing notion amongst the firearms crowd that their hobby should be dirt cheap, but they'll accept industry standard pricing on auto mechanics, builders, landscapers, HVAC, and others who's profit margins are staggering.
there's a lot of gunsmiths undercharging, or doing it as a hobby that pays sometimes. Lots of broke gunsmiths and most don't last long in business

Last edited:
Exactly my approach. Eliminate variables as much as possible.
Buy the reamer and gauge just like a component of the rifle itself
Depending upon the cartridge wouldn't he already have the reamer and gauge? Surely he should let you know if you would need to order those.

Recent Posts