Lead times, How long is too long?

For me that is way too long of a wait for an agreed upon completion date. Some GS, prioritize their workload as:

1. Paid full
2. Part is a L payment/deposit
3. In good faith
Barrel deposit/payment was maid upon shipping my donor action. I did ask if I could make payments towards the build early last year, as I was leading up to my wedding and wanted to keep gun funds and wedding funds separated. I was told nothing more was needed until the rifle was completed.

At this point I would get your items back. If you need an alternate gunsmith and are willing to drive over to LA county, Randall Rausch does quality work out of his backyard machine shop. I can PM you his number if you are interested and he is not the smith in question. I have used him for various services before, but not a full build.

http://700barrels.com/
He is not the smith in question. I would be interested in getting that contact info as soon as my DM privileges are granted. I already have ideas for my next rifle and he sounds like he is much closer to home.

I would tap the brakes on getting upset. Sometimes good work is worth the wait. This time of year they all are busy.
Some are great gunsmiths AND business people, others are good gunsmiths.
Repeated contact just slows down a one man shop…..
He is a one man shop, And he builds some great rifles from what I have seen. I understand good things don't come quickly and that is what I have been trying to reassure myself of. In the end I should have exactly what I wanted. Just a bummer when your hopes get lifted multiple times just to be approaching the one year mark and still questioning the process.

I'm spoiled so I can't be much help BUT, if he told you 3 months, it should have been 3 months.

I say I'm spoiled because my smith turns mine around in 2 weeks or so normally. This is after I bring him all the parts including reamer and go gauge.

I'm spoiled so I can't be much help BUT, if he told you 3 months, it should have been 3 months.

I say I'm spoiled because my smith turns mine around in 2 weeks or so normally. This is after I bring him all the parts including reamer and go gauge.
Exactly my approach. Eliminate variables as much as possible.
Buy the reamer and gauge just like a component of the rifle itself

Barrel deposit/payment was maid upon shipping my donor action. I did ask if I could make payments towards the build early last year, as I was leading up to my wedding and wanted to keep gun funds and wedding funds separated. I was told nothing more was needed until the rifle was completed.
Unfortunately he is in ID and I am in CA. Had I drawn an ID hunt this year the plan was to stop in and see his operation.
I have had a pretty good working relationship with my go-to GS since 2003, and he's a 20-minute drive away.

As a one man GS (retired now), I can tell you that what is going on is not correct.
If he is swamped, then he needs to inform you of such things and REDUCE his intake.
Back in 2018, prior to Covid here, I had a great problem obtaining stocks of any description, informed all 4 of my clients and 2 of them went elsewhere. 12 months later I was contacted by them both and they wanted me to finish their jobs because they knew I finished the other 2 jobs in the extended time I told them I would.
Great gunsmith or not, courtesy outweighs anything else when a CUSTOMER has paid/supplied parts and is waiting without being told the truth. I have never done that, ever. Problems arise, my mill broke down 10 years ago, parts had to come from Britain, out of action for 10 months….

Cheers.
I left it out but he has apologized once that it is taking longer than he originally anticipated when quoting a shorter lead time. He has told me he is swamped nearly every time I have reached out. I understand we all get busy and life happens but if you know you have guys waiting a call or text to reassure them you haven't forgotten about them would go a long ways. I don't want to feel like a bother which is why I've gone months on end before checking back in.

Should have been better communication on his end. More realistic with timelines and not jumped work in front of yours. If you think you can get a straight answer just say hey you said X are you capable or do I have to find someone else. Of course u gotta be willing to go elsewhere and get in the back of the line again. IDK that situation sucks.
i just had a hell of an experience on the most expensive gun I've bought to date. A smith I've never dealt with before came recommended from an action builder. Not gonna get into details but let's just say after a year I have a version of the rifle I ordered and I'm waiting on some money I was told I'd get back.
There are lots of great builders out there. I wish you the best on yours. Good luck!

Most of the time in building a custom or semi custom rifle is in the wait for all the parts. Actions can be out 6 months as can stocks if your lucky some are 8 months to a year . If you already have all the parts it usually is much faster. Good Gunsmithing takes time as there is usually a backlog . Good gunsmiths will be honest and give you a realistic time line and stick to it . My last build was almost 2 years in the making . Waiting for all the parts before I went to the gunsmith . Once it was there it was just a few weeks. I've had my gun for several months now and my buddy who took his stuff to a different smith is going on his 3 year and still won't pull his stuff . His build is not even on the same caliber as mine was. His is a new rem 700 action a barrel the smith said he had ( origins unknown) and a timney trigger and boyds wood stock. It's supposed to be a 338-06 . I did try and get him to use one of the few gunsmith that I'd recommend here in Phoenix. If your gunsmith is known for outstanding quality than leave your stuff if he's just a average smith with average results go to someone else. You will be at the back of the build schedule but you might get better results. Last time I checked my local gunsmith had a 50 gun backlog. Season is usually the biggest thing for the backlog . Everyone wants a new rifle for the upcoming hunting season. Good luck with your build.

If you've confirmed he has all the components to build the rifle you need to have a serious discussion with him about him being honest about when he will start it and a completion date. And hold him to it. At this point ,I would be calling on the first of every month for a progress report.
If he keeps stringing you along, get your stuff and find another gunsmith. If allowed, he will keep stringing you along. No excuse for it.
Life is too short…

I left it out but he has apologized once that it is taking longer than he originally anticipated when quoting a shorter lead time. He has told me he is swamped nearly every time I have reached out. I understand we all get busy and life happens but if you know you have guys waiting a call or text to reassure them you haven't forgotten about them would go a long ways. I don't want to feel like a bother which is why I've gone months on end before checking back in.
Only you can make the call. If this GS is worth the wait, stick with him; if not, cut your losses and move on to a different, reputable GS, as @itchytriggerfinger noted. Good luck!