LA vs Medium for saum

bretterath

I have a Defiance AntiX nitrided LA mag bolt face that I was gonna use for a 300 prc but changed my mind and gonna build a 6.5 saum running 156 on a 24" barrel. I'm wondering if I should sell the LA and get a medium antiX or stick with the LA. Not sure I want the extra bolt throw length. I'm going the 6.5 route to be able to spot impacts and make a quick follow up shot if need be.

You will not need to run a LA on a SAUM. You will never need to load that long so yes it's a waste of space. If you dropped down to a medium or short action, not only will you have the mag length, but also save weight on your build. Depending on what your original build was a good muzzle break, or suppressor, will make all the difference in the world on higher case capacity cartridges. In most cases bringing overall recoil, and faster follow up shots possible in larger casings. Good luck and enjoy the I have no idea what to build dilemma….
I say that because I never know for myself. It's truly a disease, worse than Alzheimer's, or HIV, like the black hole of space you will never fill the void. Once you start you just pray you can maintain. You start to think maybe I can build a new "better" rifle…. You troll the internet trying to find the new flavor of the month . You think to yourself if I sell the wife, maybe the kids, maybe the house… No one can save you. Then you think maybe rehab! There is no rehab there is no THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE! No matter how many times you watched Highlander. It's all a lie!!!
Then you choose a rifle caliber, action, stock, trigger, brass, powder , primers, color…. And you think you have it. Then you see a guy shooting elephants at 4.1 miles with a creedmoor. And all is lost… truly heartbreaking. Wish you the best of luck, and happy holidays.

Last edited:
🤣🤣🤣🤣. I with ya. I change my mind daily! I build sell, think I got what I want, I better try something different. Need a 30 cal to kill elk I told myself but just don't want a 30 cal. I want a 6.5 saum. So now anyone want to trade a LA for a Medium? Lol. I hate selling stuff then buying the same thing I just had but a little shorter

🤣🤣🤣🤣. I with ya. I change my mind daily! I build sell, think I got what I want, I better try something different. Need a 30 cal to kill elk I told myself but just don't want a 30 cal. I want a 6.5 saum. So now anyone want to trade a LA for a Medium? Lol. I hate selling stuff then buying the same thing I just had but a little shorter

Depends on how you intend to use the rifle. I run long actions on most of my guns. My guns that take pre-fit barrels I may swap out a short action caliber barrel and screw on a long action caliber barrel. The long action gives more versatility for me. Bolt throw isn't going to be a big deal the difference between a long action and short action is less than an inch. I don't think it is going to wear you out going the extra distance.

I'm looking at the same thing right now .
I have a 6.5 prc carbon barrel ready to twist on a action . I had my mind set on the 156 gr bergers so I pulled out a spare magnum action, but now I'm thinking the short action I have and the 140 gr bergers will be just fine !

Im going to blame LRH for all my ideas and changes ! Ha ha
I get something in my mind and then get on here and find something else I think I need to buy !
Anyway good Luck to you !

Rum Man

I'm looking at the same thing right now .
I have a 6.5 prc carbon barrel ready to twist on a action . I had my mind set on the 156 gr bergers so I pulled out a spare magnum action, but now I'm thinking the short action I have and the 140 gr bergers will be just fine !

Im going to blame LRH for all my ideas and changes ! Ha ha
I get something in my mind and then get on here and find something else I think I need to buy !
Anyway good Luck to you !

Rum Man
6.5 PRC is one of the barrels I swap around. I intended on using 156's when I started to shoot it then went to 135 badlands SBD mono's instead. All because I read someones post lol.

I'm having the same problem . My buddy tells me just run the 140 gr bergers but I have the idea bigger is better !
I just can stop thinking of all my Rums and the heavys! Lol
I need to get the bolt face opend to the magnum.on the short and put it together, I have everything else ready to go together!
The short action has been setting for a year plus ! Lol

Rum Man

I'm having the same problem . My buddy tells me just run the 140 gr bergers but I have the idea bigger is better !
I just can stop thinking of all my Rums and the heavys! Lol
I need to get the bolt face opend to the magnum.on the short and put it together, I have everything else ready to go together!
The short action has been setting for a year plus ! Lol

Rum Man
If your actions are the same I'd screw the barrel on the magnum action and shoot it to see what you think, you can always unscrew it. I shot a deer a few weeks ago with a 140 Berger and when I recovered the bullet the weight retention was minimal, that is a big reason I'm trying the 135 badlands.

If your actions are the same I'd screw the barrel on the magnum action and shoot it to see what you think, you can always unscrew it. I shot a deer a few weeks ago with a 140 Berger and when I recovered the bullet the weight retention was minimal, that is a big reason I'm trying the 135 badlands.
Don't get me wrong the deer is still dead but I don't like chewing on lead when I eat dinner 😁

I'm the odd ball. 7 of my saums are all long actions. As far as bolt throw hunting I would say really how many second shots have you ever needed and two is a few milli seconds gonna make the difference. On a LA just screw it off and out on a 30 nosler barrel or what ever you want. I mean I get the medium action but unless I'm in a competition shooting I'm long action all the way.