Kuiu versus Sitka

I have pieces from Sitka, first lite, Kuiu, kryptrek, plythal, and Pnuma. They are all really good and really technical clothing. There are certain pieces that I like from all of them and they all have pieces I don't like. I have mixed and matched my kit to suit what I like best but in the end my merino and down jacket tends to be first lite,(I hate the full length zippers on Kuiu base layer bottoms)
I prefer kuiu or Sitka outer layers. In other words long story short don't be afraid to mix it up.

I have owned clothing from both companies. Neither makes the "best" in every single piece. I will say with certainty that nothing Sitka makes is worth paying MAP pricing for vs the direct pricing of Kuiu. I also think if you are sticking with one brand Kuiu makes the most complete clothing line available.

I don't think you can go grow with First lite, Kuiu or Sitka. First lite and Kuiu might offer more bang for you buck though. First lite and Sitka have a large women's line compared to Kuiu. I love the Kuiu attack pants and the Sitka ascent pants, but lean mainly on first lite recently. First lite's clothes just seem to fit me well and they are very comfortable.
Very hard to beat First Lite IMO!!:D

Is She Safari still in business? My ex-wife really liked their products. Fit well and lots to choose from.

I have some of both with no preference. Sitka runs true to size for me. Kuiu I have to order a size bigger than my normal size to get a similar fit.

I've been using Kuiu for several years, just got a pair of the new Kutana pants and wore them to Colorado last week, great fit and very comfortable. I'm 6-4 and 240 and not the most athletic shape anymore. Most Kuiu is designed for the athletic / slenderer folk and more specifically, mountain hunting. I bought a Tiburon shirt in XL that is useless because of my protruding belly, (same reason I don't Under Armor body mapping shirts) had I know I would have bought a XXXL, the shirt is great material and design, I just need to lose 30lbs to wear it. I do like their new sizing tool which accounts for different body shapes. I have their rain gear (Chugach), DCS, lots of merino base layers, socks, beanies and several gloves. I looked at Sitka before Kuiu but just can't justify the cost and for me, Kuiu stands up better in harsh environs.

I have some of both Sitka and Kuiu, with much more Kuiu.
For a woman, I think it would be great to try on Sitka clothing in a store.
Although Kuiu has great return procedures, I would rather not have to fool with it. CA is a little long to travel to go to their store!

I ran Sitka for 9 years. Last year I compared my new 2018 subalpine timberland pants to my old pair from 2011. I was shocked to see first hand that the quality had actually gone WAY down and the cost was exactly the same. I had ripped them very easily as well without even knowing last season the first two days I wore them. I had a TON of it too.

From that point on I sold almost everything I had and went to KUIU. My collection is already big but it's always expanding. I hated KUIU and the private outfit/guide only approach Hairston always seemed to have which is why I never used it. Once I took a close look and wore their stuff all coyote and bear season I realized. I was wrong. He was a sheep hunter through and through. He spent A TON of time afield and he only used his stuff. It all works. All of it. And they continue to innovate (THATS A BIG ONE). They are still bringing new products to market and the stuff I have all works really well.

I'll never go back. Sitka now appears to be trying to follow KUIU and carry shelters on top of packs.

I'm not very familiar with either brand. But having lived in Sitka for parts of 14 years . and helped log the he'll out of Kuiu Island . I can say that Kuiu doesn't have much for mountains. But Baranof Is. does. And there are goats on Baranof so mountain hunting is in Sitka's roots.
For hunting Kuiu , Filson would be a totally appropriate brand . Tin pants being devil's club proof and a green Mackinac Cruiser , 24 oz is or was primo gear for hunting either island. .
But, if y'all aren't making your approach to the high country up a devil's club chute then either would work.

Can't go wrong with KUIU attack pants, and the peloton fleece line, Have used both extensively with absolutely no problems,

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts