Kuiu versus Sitka

I have pieces from Sitka, first lite, Kuiu, kryptrek, plythal, and Pnuma. They are all really good and really technical clothing. There are certain pieces that I like from all of them and they all have pieces I don't like. I have mixed and matched my kit to suit what I like best but in the end my merino and down jacket tends to be first lite,(I hate the full length zippers on Kuiu base layer bottoms)
I prefer kuiu or Sitka outer layers. In other words long story short don't be afraid to mix it up.

Thanks Toolhand didn't think about mixing them up!! great Idea

I want to thanks all who which responded. It was great insight and also a great help to me to listen to everybody's thoughts!!!!

I use both and both are excellent. You honestly can't go wrong with either. Find the right piece that fits you and your needs and don't look back.

I own 2 full sets of gear from both. I purchased the Sitka system about 1 year before the Kuiu clothing became available. I'm sure you're aware that the founder of both Sitka and Kuiu is a guy named Jason Hairston (RIP). Goretex bought him out, so he started Kuiu. The materials and clothing are great and thoroughly tested before they go on the market. I learned how valuable the Sitka clothing was when I had to hike out of a deep canyon (almost straight up) in the Vail Valley when I was elk hunting some years ago. I was soaked with sweat when I finally got back to camp, but I wasn't cold. I stripped everything off and hung it up inside the wall tent we had and fired up the stove to get warm. Within 2 hours all of my clothing was dry. While hunting this past October for mountain goat on Kodiak Island, we got hammered with rain. The Kuiu rain gear was amazing. My outfitter and guides all had Kuiu rain gear and a fair amount of Sitka gear, too. As clothing needed to be replaced, they were switching everything to Kuiu. You can't go wrong with either one. Kuiu is factory direct so there is no retail mark-up, and you get similar clothing for a less expensive price compared to Sitka.

I own 2 full sets of gear from both. I purchased the Sitka system about 1 year before the Kuiu clothing became available. I'm sure you're aware that the founder of both Sitka and Kuiu is a guy named Jason Hairston (RIP). Goretex bought him out, so he started Kuiu. The materials and clothing are great and thoroughly tested before they go on the market. I learned how valuable the Sitka clothing was when I had to hike out of a deep canyon (almost straight up) in the Vail Valley when I was elk hunting some years ago. I was soaked with sweat when I finally got back to camp, but I wasn't cold. I stripped everything off and hung it up inside the wall tent we had and fired up the stove to get warm. Within 2 hours all of my clothing was dry. While hunting this past October for mountain goat on Kodiak Island, we got hammered with rain. The Kuiu rain gear was amazing. My outfitter and guides all had Kuiu rain gear and a fair amount of Sitka gear, too. As clothing needed to be replaced, they were switching everything to Kuiu. You can't go wrong with either one. Kuiu is factory direct so there is no retail mark-up, and you get similar clothing for a less expensive price compared to Sitka.

That was some great information to have. I do agree they're both similar in quality if not equal. But leaning more towards it to Kuiu for the fact that they are factory direct and I feel that their camo pattern is more general specific for all around hunting. Can even be used for waterfowl.

Sitka has several different patterns for all types of hunting. I do have some of there waterfowl stuff and it's really good.
Once again thanks for your response

That was some great information to have. I do agree they're both similar in quality if not equal. But leaning more towards it to Kuiu for the fact that they are factory direct and I feel that their camo pattern is more general specific for all around hunting. Can even be used for waterfowl.

Sitka has several different patterns for all types of hunting. I do have some of there waterfowl stuff and it's really good.
Once again thanks for your response
My pleasure. If you have any questions about any of either brands gear, PM me. I did extensive research on all the products before I bought them. I've been very happy with everything that I have purchased. Honestly, if I were starting out like you, I'd buy all Kuiu. Their packs are really good too. My hunting buddy from California is outfitted in all Kuiu. He actually knew Jason pretty well and always kept me up to date on what was new. Only issue is Vias or Verde 2.0 camo pattern. For sheep hunting, the Vias seems to be better, but they both work well. I have all mine in the Verde

I've got the high end stuff from both companies. I like them both, but they're not equal. Kuiu is my go to clothing when it's really wet and cold...

This seams to be the place to post a comment about sitkas durability, or lack thereof.
PUFFY JACKET COMPARISON:

OUTDOOR RESEARCH NEUPLUME JACKET
Fabric: "Pertex" nylon, very soft and flexible. Fit: perfect. Retail price: approx $90.
I've worn this jacket A LOT for about 7 months a year for 5 or 6 years, working, hunting, playing. About half the time under an outer layer and half by itself. Apart from 2 holes melted by liquid solder, it held up fine till last spring when it finally lost a seam and and wore through in 2 places at the cuffs

SITKA ULTRA LIGHT DOWN JACKET
Fabric: some kind of nylon I think, a little stiff. Fit: ok but a little tight in shoulders. Retail price: $265
I wore it for part of 6 or 7 days, always under an outer layer and holes started appearing all over the forearm and cuff area. It looked like the fabric was cracking rather than tearing.

Both jackets are about the same weight, the Sitka might be a little warmer.

I hardly think this jacket was "thoroughly tested". This is just one example of my bad luck with their gear. Mostly it's the pants. I've had 4 pairs that only lasted from 4 days to part of a season. To be fair, Sitka made good on SOME of the items. For the jacket mentioned above, they sent me adhesive patches.

I'm only writing this to see if anyone has had this many problems with their stuff and found another brand (Kuiu? First Light?) that lasts considerably better.

Oh yeah, when I was discussing how noisy and not so durable their rain pants were, a person at Sitka actually told me that if I wanted quiet and durable, I'd need to go with a cheaper brand.

One more comment on Packs. I have gone to Nimrod pack systems and am very happy with the product and great customer service. Nate, the owner, is awesome. It's also 100% made in the US (Idaho). It's also versatile. You can take the harness and attach a day pack or a pack frame.
Nimrodoutdoor.com

Or for the firefighter pack go to Nimrodpacksystems.com

As a lady hunter who has hunted the mountains for elk several times, is a die hard waterfowl hunter and who hunts whitetail deer from Sep through January, I have developed my own opinions on gear. All those mentioned have great pieces. For me, fit and function are the two most important. I have had pieces from Kuiu, Sitka, Kryptek, Prois and First Lite. For my backcountry horseback elk hunt this year, I wore first lite base layers, Kryptek Women's Dalibor pants and Cadog vest, and Kuiu Super Down coat. I have tried Prois, and it is not made for tall women. I am 5-11 and it was all too short. You can't beat Kuiu Super down for warmth to weight ratio. Their stuff runs a bit small as noted by others. Kryptek pants are the best I have owned. The fit for women is excellent. Good luck on the hunt!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.