Knowing how your gun shoots

Understood, and I now see the reason for the bewilderment of your groups.
In any case, I think these guys have some great info for you. Not to worry, if you reload, I'm sure you can dial in some ELD-X that group excellently.

I quit shooting 3 shot groups as there are a lot of variables unless you are really good at calling your shots. 5 shot groups will tell what the load will do a 10 shot group will tell what the shooter can do.
I'm going to start shooting 5 shot groups. I have seen this too many times to ignore it anymore.

Understood, and I now see the reason for the bewilderment of your groups.
In any case, I think these guys have some great info for you. Not to worry, if you reload, I'm sure you can dial in some ELD-X that group excellently.
Once I start reloading I plan on trying some bullets that I see others on here talk about. ELD-X is just the new kid on the block.

Fusion ammo shoots excellent in a 25-06 I have. So well it makes me wonder why I handload for it sometimes.

As far as number of shots in a group goes. I have started shooting 4 shot groups when I do load workups. It does away with that "2 shots close and 1 flyer" phenomenon that is apparent with 3 shot groups. And the 4 shot groups saves a little on components and gives me just as good a result as a 5 shot group.

Last edited:
Fusion ammo shoots excellent in a 25-06 I have. So well it makes me wonder why I handload for it sometimes.

As far as number of shots in a group goes. I have started shooting 4 shot groups when I do load workups. It does away with that "2 shots close and 1 flyer" phenomenon that is apparent with 3 shot groups. And the 4 shot groups saves a little on components and gives me just as good a result as a 5 shot group.
I may be the exception but I generally know when I pull the trigger whether or not I did something wrong. If I do and I throw a flier I discount it and repeat.

As a rule though I find no utility in shooting more than 3 shot groups in a hunting rifle.

3 shots, let it cool completely and repeat.

I may be the exception but I generally know when I pull the trigger whether or not I did something wrong. If I do and I throw a flier I discount it and repeat.

Very true, if you are honest with yourself, you know as soon as the trigger breaks whether it was a good shot or not. I usually only shoot 4 shots when I'm working up a load. One big reason is it gives me another chronographed data point for determining SD and such.

Under what conditions can you see yourself firing more than 3 shots at a game animal?

A very good shooter shot my 6.5 and fired a 3/8" and a 1/8" three shot group at 100 yards. When I overlaid them the six shot group was .6". Good but not the great of the other two.

I fire five shot groups. But the barrel is cooled between each shot because I don't expect to fire more than one at game. Nevertheless I want to know what the rifle will do repeatably, not what it can do to impress me or someone with a wallet group.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.