Kids and ar15s

I've been left handed all my life. It really doesn't make much differrent. Unless you are going to purchase lefthanded rifle, pistols, and shotgun. Just stay with righthand actions. Start her out with a BB gun and go from there. All my firearms are righthanded. All the firearms in the Army are righthanded. I used M-14, M16, Car 15, 1911 45, M-60, 50 cal, and M-79's. Most kicked out the case on the right side. It didn't cause my a problem. There is a far bigger range of section of firearms in righthanded than lefthanded.

First off make sure what the child's dominant eye is. there are plenty of ways to do this if you google it or I can give you one. Once you determine eye dominance than have them learn to shoot with the same side the dominant eye is on. If you have all ready done this you can disregard. This has helped out many people I have worked with. It's easier to start that Way then to retrain when they get Older

I've been left handed all my life. It really doesn't make much differrent. Unless you are going to purchase lefthanded rifle, pistols, and shotgun. Just stay with righthand actions. Start her out with a BB gun and go from there. All my firearms are righthanded. All the firearms in the Army are righthanded. I used M-14, M16, Car 15, 1911 45, M-60, 50 cal, and M-79's. Most kicked out the case on the right side. It didn't cause my a problem. There is a far bigger range of section of firearms in righthanded than lefthanded.
I used to shoot right handed rifles until I shot my first left handed rifle; it was the same with NF scopes. I didn't need one until I looked through one. Left handed are by far harder to find, I've bought my last several on gunbroker. Looked three years for a small caliber varmint round in a decent action and finally ended up with three in the last few months. I have a left handed AR and I love it too, except for cleaning it after I shoot it.

First off make sure what the child's dominant eye is. there are plenty of ways to do this if you google it or I can give you one. Once you determine eye dominance than have them learn to shoot with the same side the dominant eye is on. If you have all ready done this you can disregard. This has helped out many people I have worked with. It's easier to start that Way then to retrain when they get Older
Excellant point.

Excellant point.
True statement. Not a problem for me with rifles, but shooting a shotgun is so hard for me because keeping both eyes open I see two barrels. I basically gave up not knowing what the problem was, and then got too old to try and retrain myself. Even shooting rifles I have to close my right eye, and lots of guys I know can shoot both eyes open looking through the scope with their dominant eye. It was handy in baseball, batting left right eye dominate, but shooting I should have switched early.

As mentioned check eye dominance. My 11yr shoots left handed because he is left eye dominant and cannot close his eyes individually. He is actually right handed.

My younger son is also left eye dominant. Their mother infected them with this disease. Thankfully my younger son seems to be able to shoot right handed just fine.

I'm left-handed and do not shoot a left-handed anything. Early AR's w/o the case deflector had about every third case graze my right cheek fairly high up near the eye. Scary, but not seriously unpleasant. A no-go for a new shooter to be sure.

I've tried a brass catcher and did not like it at all. If you have adjustable gas I'd say adjust it to put the brass as far forwards as it will reliably run.

I bought a fully adjustable Boyd's AT-1 for a 788 in .223 Rem just for this use, to introduce new shooters to center-fires and to shooting scoped rifles.

It really depends on the size of your child. I use collapsible AR stocks because my 10-year-old weighs 55 pounds and my five-year-old is 54 pounds. They both shoot them extremely well, but neither one can shoot a regular rifle because of the length of pull is just too long. When my 10-year-old was five, he was about 35 pounds and still able to shoot with the AR style stocks. It's a **** shame no rifle maker makes a legit hunting rifle with a collapsible stock for children.
Closest thing is probably an Sig Cross. Wish it came in more than just 6.5cm and .308. Both of which are more recoil than I want to hand to my 10 year old who weighs like a whole 60lbs.

Well, I started on a 22 rimfire, and must recommend it for cost, fun factor, no recoil, and no fear factor. It's only about 100 bucks to grab one. You want to toss a bunch of rounds downrange to practice, and nothing is better than a 22 for that.

Do get her into the AR15 once she's doing well. Everyone should be proficient with them.

My daughter at 12 =
Marlin 22
20 gauge w/light loads
AR15

I say don't let her get into the habit of indiscriminately blasting rounds downrange with the 22. Seems to be a common inclination. Mag dumps are fun, but should only be done occasionally IMHO. Maybe just let her load only 3 at a time?

One thing I've found good though to teach fast target acquisition is bouncing a tin can down a road with shots, using a 22. They like it too. (Load more than 3 for that exercise to increase fun factor though...)

Vettepilot

Last edited:
Here's an option.
IMG_0484.jpeg

I'm left-handed and do not shoot a left-handed anything. Early AR's w/o the case deflector had about every third case graze my right cheek fairly high up near the eye. Scary, but not seriously unpleasant. A no-go for a new shooter to be sure.

I've tried a brass catcher and did not like it at all. If you have adjustable gas I'd say adjust it to put the brass as far forwards as it will reliably run.

I bought a fully adjustable Boyd's AT-1 for a 788 in .223 Rem just for this use, to introduce new shooters I to center-fires and to shooting scoped riflesI
I used them on full auto for the year in Vietnam. Never had a problem with it or any other full auto firearm. Alway shoot left handed.

IMO AR's are too uncomfortable and complicated to shoot for a new shooter. I hate mine. I get beat up every time I shoot it. Look at a Browning Micro Midas for your daughter. Left hand is available, very accurate also. My daughter loves hers.

Make sure to check her eye dominance.

If she is left handed but right eye dominant see if she can shoot right handed.

Better to start them out shooting eye dominant side if they are cross eye dominant.

My son is a lefty and left eye dominant. He shoots right handed firearms just fine.

My daughter is right handed and left eye dominant. She had trouble making her hands work shooting left handed so she shoots right handed.

When I am selling a bow for a kid at the store I work at I always check eye dominance and let the kid and parents know the options.

I don't know her skillset at all, but I'm not sure what shooting an AR will do to help with shooting a larger rifle. The ergos are completely different and the recoil is even more different. It's not bad by any means...getting used to the noise etc is always a benefit.
I guess for me, shooting the way most of us learned seems to be the right way. Start with a pellet gun, go to a rimfire, progress to a 223 or .243 or other smaller cartridge etc.
Steps. Progressive steps.
Fair amount of logic there C_bass. I start kids with 22LR, today my fav is a chopped stock 10/22 with a red dot. I control the tempo.

This is by far my favorite pic ever, the one on the right was about to turn 4, shooting their milo sponsored 22's.
boys.jpg