Just finished a build!

Young-Gun

After several of months of tracking down parts and saving money it finished!
lancer L15 billet lower
magpul stock and grip
Aero Precision upper
Fluted stainless bull barrel 20", 5.56 chamber with 1/8 twist and has a target crown
Milspec phosphate Carrier with a staked key and WOA bolt. W/tactical latch
Vortex rings
vortex viper 6.5-20X44 with sunshade

That came out real nice! The gophers and prairie dogs of Montana are in trouble.

But it will never out shoot your 300 win..:)

Nice rifle, I know you worked hard for it.

Enjoy. gun)

Dad.

Young-Gun,

Build looks good!

I'm in the process of working up loads for a LMT in 5.56 and a DPMS in .308.

Also have a 6.5-06 A.I. that is ready to go.

Need to go stretch them out somewhere.

I am in Billings as well, give me a shout if you want to let some lead fly someday.

Theo

What a fine build! Very impressive; but when are you going to Cerakote the forend?:D It will then match the other MagPul Dark Earth.
Say, Billings,huh? Sure does bring back fond memories. I used to fly to Billings and then drive up up Forsyth to bow hunt white tails. Hehe, I also hunted rocks for my pond back here in VA. Came back 15 lbs. over weight! The agent was a fine guy and let me roll out. Love Montana!

thanks for all the compliments in the build! I got the barrel broke in and am having some accuracy issues going to try a different bullet and she if there is a change.gun)

well I have been working with it and done lots of things to improve, with zero results so looks like ill be rebarreling it. its a shame but the dang thing just wont shoot!

100yrd group

doesnt get any better at 154

or even back to 25yards

Just plan frustrating!!!

Whats the load? Trigger? Who's magazine? Who's barrel it is? What buffer? What spring? Who made them? Did you stake the castle nut? Did you stake the bolts on the gas key? Is the Gas tube centered, are you sure? I have worked with a lot of these rifles and your results SUCK! so lets narrow it down.

Whats the load? Trigger? Who's magazine? Who's barrel it is? What buffer? What spring? Who made them? Did you stake the castle nut? Did you stake the bolts on the gas key? Is the Gas tube centered, are you sure? I have worked with a lot of these rifles and your results SUCK! so lets narrow it down.

well let me start by saying alot of the stuff you asked I have no Idea.... but ill answer what I can
trigger is a mil spec. reads about 6.5 on a gauge have since changed and didnt see alot of improvement. the 20 shot group is hornady 55gr v-max and the others are PMC 55gr FMJ BT. tryed two mags magpul 20rnd and the lancer with the steel feed lips, barrel was made by Red X buffer and spring are just some used parts i picked up....(didnt think this would effect accuracy) only other thing i can answer as i didnt build the upper bought it new on gun broker, is the gas tube is free and not binding but no not sure on anything else, you know alot more about these then me, this is my first gas gun

and yes the result = alot of cash and poor poor shots, I had to go shoot my .300 custom that will hold an inch group at 500 meters just to get my self asteem back up

Last edited:
I am only citing one possible issue.

Well you can feel the difference in a good spring and buffer did you buy a kit with the spring and buffer included? From who? Case in point, I built an upper for a buddy, all BCM, LMT, and DD parts. He supplied the lower, it was built local and who's parts kit they used in anyone's guess. After about a month he shoots me a text and says is short stroking etc. We set up a training date and I threw another one of my lowers in my box just in case. It was apparent to me the issue the first time I pulled the trigger, I handed him the rifle and told him fire one round and concentrate on how the buffer and spring feel as the weapon recoils, Now shoot mine, feel the difference? YES, swapped the lower and finished shooting. He replaced the spring and buffer with BCM H buffer and spring no more issues.

Your buffer should be stamped H something or A something, if its not you have a junk buffer, the spring well who knows? The buffers all come in different weights, H, buffer being the standard for the M4 series of rifles, however the current trend is to run a heavy buffer to mitigate an issue known as "bolt bounce". It has a very, very small effect on accuracy, but combined with other issues it is a factor non the less.

I will suggest a check list and some dime drills.
1. Make sure your buffer tube is strait with the receiver.
2. Check to see if your castle nut is properly staked to prevent it from loosening.
3. Get a new spring and buffer, I would suggest calling Vltor and asking their opinion (know what BCG you have).
4. Check your crown for burs, use a cotton ball see if anything get stuck there
5. Check gas tube alignment
6. Try a box of good ammo, federal match, black hills match, in a bullet weight between 69 and 77g.
7. Also, this may be out of your control and I don't know how the for end you have is installed is attached. But look up the manufactures torque specs and check them to.

Lastly "dime drills" this is what they teach in boot camp and looking at your rifle i'm not sure its practical with that much barrel. But you can modify the drill, have someone else balance a dime on the round part of your barrel while you practice your trigger pull while aiming down the sights. The object is for the dime to remain in place as your dry fire the weapon.

Lastly, this sucks and parts are not parts you have some good and some unknown, do what you can and good luck

Jon

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts