Jet Boil lighter at high altitude

I have noticed on 2 different Jet Boils that the built in ignition doesn't work above 10K feet. Has anyone else experienced this?

I always keep spare lighters in my pack and now I keep one in the green cup on the bottom so it's handy.

Anyone else?
James
I have never taken mine that high, but like you, I always carry a lighter/fire starter in my survival kit. I also have a back-up back packing stove (Optimus Crux Lite) that stays in my truck.

Last edited:
My son and I hunted 10 to 12000 ft this year in Southern Colorado. We had to use a lighter on our jet boil and propane stove.

I have noticed on 2 different Jet Boils that the built in ignition doesn't work above 10K feet. Has anyone else experienced this?

I always keep spare lighters in my pack and now I keep one in the green cup on the bottom so it's handy.

Anyone else?
James
I have had mine to 11,500 several times for over a week each time without a problem. I did have to replace the igniter in it, but not sure it was due to altitude. Before replacing the igniter, I tried sanding the copper electrode to clean the oxidation off of it, but it still only worked intermittently. Any time I hike at those altitudes I cary redundant, mission critical components. I always bring a small butane lighter and a small magnesium block with a flint strip on it. Jet Boil used to sell ignitor replacements for their original stoves, but I don't see them on their website currently.

Last edited:
I have had mine to 11,500 several times for over a week each time without a problem. I did have to replace the igniter in it, but not sure it was due to altitude. Before replacing the igniter, I tried sanding the copper electrode to clean the oxidation off of it, but it still only worked intermittently. Any time I hike at those altitudes I cary redundant mission critical components. I always bring a small butane lighter and a small magnesium block with a flint strip on it. Jet Boil used to sell ignitor replacements for their original stoves, but I don't see them on their website currently.
They both immediately work when back to 9,000 and below. 1 of them was brand new and mine was only a year old this time. I wonder if cleaning the electrode would work?

When I get calllouts to work on flares that won't ignite. Most of the time the ignitor rod distance from the grounding area just needs to be adjusted. These igniters are huge and the rod distance is adjustable. Sometimes moving the rod forward or back 1/16" or less makes the difference in it working or not. Just saying if you're having issues try adjusting the ignitor wire distance like someone mentioned above. For whatever reason some are sensitive with the distance from the grounding area and as they wear down need to adjusted closer. My freinds I hunt with all have jet boils so I've never bought one. But they have lit fine at 11k ft for us without issue

Recent Posts