Jet Boil lighter at high altitude

I have noticed on 2 different Jet Boils that the built in ignition doesn't work above 10K feet. Has anyone else experienced this?

I always keep spare lighters in my pack and now I keep one in the green cup on the bottom so it's handy.

Anyone else?
James
I have never taken mine that high, but like you, I always carry a lighter/fire starter in my survival kit. I also have a back-up back packing stove (Optimus Crux Lite) that stays in my truck.

Last edited:
My son and I hunted 10 to 12000 ft this year in Southern Colorado. We had to use a lighter on our jet boil and propane stove.

I have noticed on 2 different Jet Boils that the built in ignition doesn't work above 10K feet. Has anyone else experienced this?

I always keep spare lighters in my pack and now I keep one in the green cup on the bottom so it's handy.

Anyone else?
James
I have had mine to 11,500 several times for over a week each time without a problem. I did have to replace the igniter in it, but not sure it was due to altitude. Before replacing the igniter, I tried sanding the copper electrode to clean the oxidation off of it, but it still only worked intermittently. Any time I hike at those altitudes I cary redundant, mission critical components. I always bring a small butane lighter and a small magnesium block with a flint strip on it. Jet Boil used to sell ignitor replacements for their original stoves, but I don't see them on their website currently.

Last edited:
I have had mine to 11,500 several times for over a week each time without a problem. I did have to replace the igniter in it, but not sure it was due to altitude. Before replacing the igniter, I tried sanding the copper electrode to clean the oxidation off of it, but it still only worked intermittently. Any time I hike at those altitudes I cary redundant mission critical components. I always bring a small butane lighter and a small magnesium block with a flint strip on it. Jet Boil used to sell ignitor replacements for their original stoves, but I don't see them on their website currently.
They both immediately work when back to 9,000 and below. 1 of them was brand new and mine was only a year old this time. I wonder if cleaning the electrode would work?