Javelina

Teeing of of this, What would be the lighted bullet you would use with h1000. In my 300 win mag. It's a Christensen Arms ridgeline.

Also I've got some hogdon blc-2. That I had for an old 25-06. Wonder if that would be a decent substitute for 4895. Wealth of knowledge here and I'm just trying to absorb

Welcome to LRH from AZ.

Use what ever you have for Javelina, don't need to try a different load, shot them with what you have.

I've taken them with a 223 Rem, 7mm-08, 280 Rem, 270 Win, and a 7mm Rem Mag. All of them killed them just the same, and head shots work best so you don't mess up the little meat they have.

A 22 LR hollow point through the lungs and they run about 30 yards before keeling over. I've taken a dozen that way while raiding my garden.

A 300 WM should do the job. I'd use a light mono with a light powder change. Whatever shoots good.

FYI, can't hunt large game in AZ with Rimfire cartridges, any centerline rifle will work though.

There are two rimfires you can use for javelina, the 22 Magnum Rimfire and the 5mm Rimfire Magnum . Heck you can even use a spear!

From regulation R12-4-304:

6. To take javelina:
a. Centerfire rifles
b. Muzzleloading rifles
c. All other rifles using black powder or synthetic black powder
d. Centerfire handguns
e. Muzzleloading handguns
f. Shotguns shooting slugs, only
g. Pre-charged pneumatic weapons .35 caliber or larger
h. Pre-charged pneumatic weapons using arrows or bolts with broadheads no less than 7/8 inch in width with metal, ceramic-coated metal, or ceramic cutting edges and capable of firing a minimum of 250 feet per second
i. Bows with a standard pull of 30 or more pounds, using arrows with broadheads no less than 7/8 inch in width with metal, ceramic-coated metal, or ceramic cutting edges
j. Crossbows with a minimum draw weight of 125 pounds, using bolts with a minimum length of 16 inches and broadheads no less than 7/8 inch in width with metal, ceramic-coated metal, or ceramic cutting edges or bows as described in subsection (B)(6)(i) to be drawn and held with an assisting device
k. .22 rimfire magnum rifles
l. 5 mm rimfire magnum rifles.
m. Atlatl throwing dart no less than five feet in length and no more than eight feet in length, equipped with a sharpened head having a blade no less than 7/16 inch cutting radius from the center of the shaft with metal, ceramic-coated metal, or ceramic cutting edges.

There are two rimfires you can use for javelina, the 22 Magnum Rimfire and the 5mm Rimfire Magnum . Heck you can even use a spear!

From regulation R12-4-304:

6. To take javelina:
a. Centerfire rifles
b. Muzzleloading rifles
c. All other rifles using black powder or synthetic black powder
d. Centerfire handguns
e. Muzzleloading handguns
f. Shotguns shooting slugs, only
g. Pre-charged pneumatic weapons .35 caliber or larger
h. Pre-charged pneumatic weapons using arrows or bolts with broadheads no less than 7/8 inch in width with metal, ceramic-coated metal, or ceramic cutting edges and capable of firing a minimum of 250 feet per second
i. Bows with a standard pull of 30 or more pounds, using arrows with broadheads no less than 7/8 inch in width with metal, ceramic-coated metal, or ceramic cutting edges
j. Crossbows with a minimum draw weight of 125 pounds, using bolts with a minimum length of 16 inches and broadheads no less than 7/8 inch in width with metal, ceramic-coated metal, or ceramic cutting edges or bows as described in subsection (B)(6)(i) to be drawn and held with an assisting device
k. .22 rimfire magnum rifles
l. 5 mm rimfire magnum rifles.
m. Atlatl throwing dart no less than five feet in length and no more than eight feet in length, equipped with a sharpened head having a blade no less than 7/16 inch cutting radius from the center of the shaft with metal, ceramic-coated metal, or ceramic cutting edges.

You learn something new every day, thanks for sharing.

Used my 300 wm once with a 150gr winchester xp3 bullet . Shot was at 10 feet as we were checking for blood from my 348yd shot. Hit front shoulder on a quartering shot . Launched the javalina 3 feet into a Pyle of brush and field dressed with the shot . Way to much gun.

Recent Posts