J104 vs. J107

trueblue

Which one ? Looks like the 104 is lighter with same storage abilities, but the 107 has a removable top storage which might make it a better daypack. Also what accessories does everyone use and like? I was looking at the spike camp duffle and double sided pack cover, anything else?
Last question-is it worth looking at the M3 with the 1000 denier material, but is not expandable?

I can't comment on the other packs -- but I have the 'military' version of the J107 in OD green. It has the 1000 denier and a "wider scabbard" option, which I got, to accommodate big scope + bipod. I really like it. I got the kit for the military version, which comes with two hydration bladders, a spike duffel, and the rain cover. Works great for me.

IIRC, one big difference between the two packs is that the frame of the J107 is more adjustable....

Hope that helps a little.

i've heard the gun scabbard isn't in the middle of the pack, but off to one side. is that true and if so does anyone know why?

FYI. -- The same space on the other side of the pack holds a hydration bladder (in my J107).

I imagine it would be a bit more difficult to retrieve the gun if it was directly behind your head -- though I can't say whether that is their logic.

I am surprised at only getting 2 responses to my question about Eberle pack. Surely, there are more users of these backs on this site.

I also am looking at the new J107M and found it for 289.00 in coyote brown is that a deal and from what i have read it is configurable to a day pack to hauling everything but the kitchen sink

I was hoping for more results as well. I know I'm leaning towards the J104 personally having tried both on.

I have the 104 and really like it. Great pack. The 107 (which I have never used) has the daypack as mentioned before and is supposed to have a little bit stiffer frame (hence the weight.) The pockets and capacity I believe are identical (but could be wrong). The scabbard is off to one side so as to be able to get the rifle out easier than if it were in the middle, being loaded more on one side has never been a problem. Personally i use the scabbard to carry my tripod (very large Bogan) as there aren't any other pockets big enough to hold it. It works really well for this. Overall, I am extremely happy with the 104, I can't imagine needing anything else. If you plan on carrying HEAVY loads often, then maybe the 107 is a better choice, but I have had some pretty hefty loads on my 104 and it performed flawlessly. Hope i helped some.

I ended up getting the J104. Got it in the mail last week. I am glad I went with the 104 instead of the 107, which is $100.00 more. I didn't feel the daypack was something i was interested in for the added weight.

I called them 2 days ago about those packs and I was told that about the only difference is the day pack and the 107 has adjustable shoulder straps

Sometimes I don't buy exactly what I need because I have a Cabelas 32 miles down the road and a Sportsman's Warehouse about 9 miles away. I was impressed with the J104 SW had a few years back and when Cabelas had the 107 last summer and I had points to burn, I picked it up and thus far with zero regrets. I like the top pack for all my LR stuff, ability to carry a smallish H2O bladder for final stalks and such. I ended up packing in light for a day hunt last Octobers elk opener and packing out heavy with full rib cages and backstraps. Full bladder as my tube froze and I barely used any water the entire day; temp was 16 deg F when I shot my spike about 8:30 am.

MewithelkribscomingoftheHighTop.jpg

MewithelkribscomingofHighTop2.jpg

For the past two months I've been hiking 3x week, uphill for 50 minuetes w/ upto 40 lbs of lead shot and water in the pack. Very comfortable. Getting ready for a Sept Ak Grizzly hunt.

I have the J107 Dragonfly in realtree hardwoods, it has a stiffer frame (aluminum stays and a poly carbonate sheet) then the J104 and the torso length is adjustable on the 107 where as the 104 is not. Therefore taller or shorter people will get a better fit from the J107. The J104 is made for an average 5'10" guy IIRC. The removable fanny pack is a nice option on the J107 and it is well thoughtout with a water proof compartment and a padded compartment along with the larger main compartment.

The scabbard is offset to one side but you don't even know your rifle is in there. With my 20" bbl model Seven the butstock is below your head, the longer the barrel the higher the rifle rides.

I've tried on both at the Sportsmens warehouse and I found the shoulder straps to be much more comforatable on the J104 vs. J107. I couldn't tell you why, they looked to be the same. I'd have no use for the little daypack on the J107 so that's not a benefit I care for either. The one that gets me is the adjustability. I'm only 5' 7" (insert midget jokes here) and a tough fit for packs. Anyone use these that are my height?

Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.