Is my knife really sharp?

I have been knife sharpening with my Spyderco Sharpmaker again. I can get my knives pretty sharp, but I'm somewhat unclear if they are sharp coming off the sharpener.

So, the first thing I did was grab the marksalot and my optivisor that has like 20x magnification on the top end. this helps me see that the whole blade edge is being dressed and that the burrs/damage are invisible to 20x, but how do I know if it is really sharp?

How do you do it? I've tried paper and can tell cutting vs ripping, but it seems like I should be able to see this better.
While I don't use any of the newer fancy sharpeners, I still use old school techniques and tools from the 60's. I test the sharpness by shaving the hairs from my arm with ease.

Last edited:

Very cool tool!

I use a Wicked Edge sharpener for sharpening, and .3 micron diamond paste strops for finishing. I also test on whittling a human hair, this is one of my moustache hairs (don't like harvesting from up top anymore) NOT shaving but whittling:
IMG_0502.JPG

This particular knife is one of my Shun Fuji kitchen knives in SG2 PM steel at about 62-64 HRC. Pretty incredible how sharp you can get fine grain good steel!!!

I worked with a guy who bought a new knife at the gun show and brought it to work. He was showing how sharp it was by shaving the hair off his arm. It took the hair off and cut right into his flesh. Still don't know how he managed to do that.

So, be careful when shaving off hair....

You to...hi buddy.
A few years ago I was caping a buck around the base of the antler and it slipped and hit my left thumb and split from the tip of my thumb on the right side of my nail and stopped at the joint.
That thing opened up like a split open grape.
Didn't really hurt until I got to the hospital and they started jamming needles in it so they could sow it all back together 😂
The year before my cousin cut his thumb off at the joint and I had to take him to the same hospital to have his sown back on 😂

A few years ago I was caping a buck around the base of the antler and it slipped and hit my left thumb and split from the tip of my thumb on the right side of my nail and stopped at the joint.
That thing opened up like a split open grape.
Didn't really hurt until I got to the hospital and they started jamming needles in it so they could sow it all back together 😂
The year before my cousin cut his thumb off at the joint and I had to take him to the same hospital to have his sown back on 😂
That is really sharp. One has to keep your body parts out of the firing line though. Dull knives are a serious problem.