IS ITJUST ME?

It is a tough row to hoe getting real experience with scopes to see what you like and trust. The cost of the scope is one thing, but also the time and components to put a scope through the paces. Dfanonymous has a good list of boxes to check to get started, but you don't know what works till you see it work. For any of the scopes you can find a following and then someone that has had a catastrophic failure that cost them a trophy. First thing to do is to really narrow down the scope of work for the optic, what you realistically need it to do. The more you ask of it the smaller the pool, and probably the larger the price tag. The classifieds here are a great place to start sorting it out. There are some great deals on most of the big names. The only way to really know what glass is for you is to get behind it and shoot it.

When you form an opinion please let me know.
I have a friend that has been using a Meopta for years. It's been a good scope for him. Pretty good glass and good twilight performance. The only thing I don't like about it is the reticle. It has a big moa sized dot in the middle of the crosshairs that blocks the view of the target and makes precise aiming at distance difficult. They do make different reticles though.

Makes you long for the days when if you wanted a Chevrolet scope you bought a Weaver. A Ford, Buick, Oldsmobile you bought a Redfield. Higher grade than that was a Leupold . The real cats *** was the Bausch and Lomb with no internal adjustments. There were cams in the mounts .
Now I have a Meopta . Jury is still out ,
Miopta has great glass, but the eye box and eye relief gives me a little trouble, but I wear glasses.
image.jpg

It is a tough row to hoe getting real experience with scopes to see what you like and trust. The cost of the scope is one thing, but also the time and components to put a scope through the paces. Dfanonymous has a good list of boxes to check to get started, but you don't know what works till you see it work. For any of the scopes you can find a following and then someone that has had a catastrophic failure that cost them a trophy. First thing to do is to really narrow down the scope of work for the optic, what you realistically need it to do. The more you ask of it the smaller the pool, and probably the larger the price tag. The classifieds here are a great place to start sorting it out. There are some great deals on most of the big names. The only way to really know what glass is for you is to get behind it and shoot it.
Agreed! But how much money and time is one wiiing to give up to get it figured out. I be been at it for 40 + years and I'm still looking.

Makes you long for the days when if you wanted a Chevrolet scope you bought a Weaver. A Ford, Buick, Oldsmobile you bought a Redfield. Higher grade than that was a Leupold . The real cats *** was the Bausch and Lomb with no internal adjustments. There were cams in the mounts .
Now I have a Meopta . Jury is still out ,
Miopta has great glass, but the eye box and eye relief gives me a little trouble, but I wear glasses.View attachment 593133

What color do you get? what color lighted reticle?what horsepower? Second or first focal plane? Warranty? All over the place with prices. Everyone says theirs is the best. Best for what? what are your thoughts? How do "you" decide? Do you stick with the companies that have been around the longest? let's see what you think
1) Black
2) Red illumination
3) As much horsepower as "I" can afford
4) Second Focal Plane
5) The best warranty I can find based on reviews and hopefully not many users of the warranty.
6 & 7) Yes, prices vary as widely as usage…but generally speaking you get what you pay for.
8 & 9) I decide by considering my budget and look for scopes that have all the features that I want/need and also allow me to fit both competition AND hunting needs. My most recent purchase of a March 8-80x56 Tactical scope (currently mounted on my SML) fits that niche quite nicely.
10) Not necessarily
Cheers! 😀

1) Black
2) Red illumination
4) Second Focal Plane
5) The best warranty I can find based on reviews and hopefully not many users of the warranty.
6 & 7) Yes, prices vary as widely as usage…but generally speaking you get what you pay for.
8 & 9) I decide by considering my budget and look for scopes that have all the features that I want/need and also allow me to fit both competition AND hunting needs. My most recent purchase of a March 8-80x56 Tactical scope (currently mounted on my SML) fits that niche quite nicely.
10) Not necessarily
Cheers! 😀
I like that! Well said Deputy

My most recent purchase of a March 8-80x56 Tactical scope (currently mounted on my SML) fits that niche quite nicely.
I should add that I sold a Nightforce 15-55 Competition scope as well as a Nightforce SHV to be able to swing the March purchase…..and also that I got an EXTREMELY good deal on it from a local member over on Accurate Shooter. Otherwise it would've been a "No Go". 😀

Started doing this when reliable dialing wasn't a given, we had mixed mil and moa scopes and a 5x erector was as much as a new car if it didn't tunnel.

It's been nice to get consistent dialing, more optimum power ranges, better reticles, ffp, better glass and widespread proliferation of reliable range finders.

Seems I've come full circle, long range hunting went from the sole focus to a tool in the arsenal. Granted a tool that's still my main interest, but no longer the sole focus. Now it seems I'm looking at scopes from a decade or more ago wishing they could get a face lift. I'd love a 2.5-10×42 nxs with some modern glass and turret... my foray into nx8 left me wishing it was a 6x or less erector.

Keep asking for slight tweaks or face lifts on scopes of old, and keep getting another dozen pac rim pop up companies with ever more bizarre names and back stories.

1) Black
2) Red illumination
4) Second Focal Plane
10) Not necessarily
Cheers! 😀

I want the maximum magnification at thirty ounces and maximum power range. Therefore I purchased a March 2 1/2-25X52. It has better glass than my Swarovski z5 5-25X52.