IS ITJUST ME?

tribb

Is it just me or is the world just inundated with makers of telescopic sight for our rifles? It's very confusing! What color do you get? what color lighted reticle?what horsepower? Second or first focal plane? Warranty? All over the place with prices. Everyone says theirs is the best. Best for what? what are your thoughts? How do "you" decide? Do you stick with the companies that have been around the longest? let's see what you think?

Last edited:
I've spent hundreds of hours over the years researching, reading, YouTube. Tried so many different brands. Sold lots of scopes for a huge loss. I've narrowed it down to Nightforce and Trijicon. The last six purchases have been one of those two brands.

When I get done paying for the kids, I may try some of the alpha level glass. Hopefully the eye doctor can write me a prescription, so I have an excuse. :)

And then first or second focal plane? MOA or MILS? That only made all the researching and buying/selling issue worse.

Last edited:
There's definitive ways to know what about you need just in the specs that are advertised.

Now, if a scope fails to meet those specs is a reputation problem. That's usually more an issue with the cheaper brands.

I think the issue with people confused with glass usually stems from lack of experience.

You never needed 26 mils of adjustment..? not total travel, adjustment..How do you get that with a scope? You need a scope base and a scope that has about 40 mils of total travel…easy.

Do you shoot against dark backgrounds and lose the reticle? Illumination.

Do you shoot with the reticle at all ranges and magnifications with a degree of accuracy…? FFP.

Stuff like that. Pupil diameter, zero stop, glass quality and reputation for mechanical durability and accuracy are all part of the equation.

Are you a poor? If yes, than Tangent might not be for you..easy.

Last edited:
I've spent hundreds of hours over the years researching, reading, YouTube. Tried so many different brands. Sold lots of scopes for a huge loss. I've narrowed it down to Nightforce and Trijicon. The last six purchases have been one of those two brands.

When I get done paying for the kids, I may try some of the alpha level glass. Hopefully the eye doctor can write me a prescription, so I have an excuse. :)

And then first or second focal plane? MOA or MILS? That only made all the researching and buying/selling issue worse.
Yes I failed to put all that in the post

200w (18).gif

I bought a Kahles Straight 8 x 56 in 1989 and it is likely one of the best scope purchases I have ever made. I'm still using it.
Lately I've bought Trigicon, Nightforce, and Sightron. The Sightrons are for my longer distance rifles and have been a lot of scope for the money. Are they the best? Not hardly. But they track well and do what I need done. They suit my eyes well. All three of these brands seem to be pretty tough. I don't care much for first focal plane scopes. Just a personal thing.
Lately I have jumped into the Night Vision and Thermal game. Talk about confusing.

I bought a Kahles Straight 8 x 56 in 1989 and it is likely one of the best scope purchases I have ever made. I'm still using it.
Lately I've bought Trigicon, Nightforce, and Sightron. The Sightrons are for my longer distance rifles and have been a lot of scope for the money. Are they the best? Not hardly. But they track well and do what I need done. They suit my eyes well. All three of these brands seem to be pretty tough. I don't care much for first focal plane scopes. Just a personal thing.
Lately I have jumped into the Night Vision and Thermal game. Talk about confusing.
I've not gone there yet! But I'm sure you're correct

Is it just me or is the world just inundated with makers of telescopic sight for our rifles? It's very confusing! What color do you get? what color lighted reticle?what horsepower? Second or first focal plane? Warranty? All over the place with prices. Everyone says theirs is the best. Best for what? what are your thoughts? How do "you" decide? Do you stick with the companies that have been around the longest? let's see what you think?
Makes you long for the days when if you wanted a Chevrolet scope you bought a Weaver. A Ford, Buick, Oldsmobile you bought a Redfield. Higher grade than that was a Leupold . The real cats *** was the Bausch and Lomb with no internal adjustments. There were cams in the mounts .
Now I have a Meopta . Jury is still out ,

Makes you long for the days when if you wanted a Chevrolet scope you bought a Weaver. A Ford, Buick, Oldsmobile you bought a Redfield. Higher grade than that was a Leupold . The real cats *** was the Bausch and Lomb with no internal adjustments. There were cams in the mounts .
When you form an opinion please let me know.

Got a Steiner predator 6-24 jury still out on it as well ! Good so far