Is a 270 WSM an adequate elk round?

GSP814

I was going to build a lightweight elk rifle in 7 SAUM. I have a NIB Christensen Arms Summit Ti Thumbhole in 270 WSM and was wondering if the WSM is a 500 yard elk rifle?

According to the test target, the CA shoots 1/2" with 130 grain Nosler Accubonds. I would rather use the rifle I have instead of building a new rifle. Thanks in advance!

I was going to build a lightweight elk rifle in 7 SAUM. I have a NIB Christensen Arms Summit Ti Thumbhole in 270 WSM and was wondering if the WSM is a 500 yard elk rifle?

According to the test target, the CA shoots 1/2" with 130 grain Nosler Accubonds. I would rather use the rifle I have instead of building a new rifle. Thanks in advance!
GREAT CARTRIDGE!!!!!!!!!
You can shoot anything in North America and Africa Plains Game Animals with a 270WSM!!!!!
Jill has a 270WSM Kimber Montana and it shoots lights out. We shoot 130-140 gr ABs

I'd add that the boring old .270 is a more than adequate elk gun as well, not as in it can kill if everything is perfect but as in many guides and outfitters cite it as their suggested starting caliber for serious elk hunting. The wsm is the same thing with just a little more horsepower.

A 140 grain Berger, Classic Hunter Bullet, Launched at 3,175 FPS, is STILL Going, OVER,.. 2,000 FPS at 800 Yards from, a .270 WSM !
Kills Elk,. "Like the Hammer of Thor" IF, good Shot Placement at most,.. Normal Ranges.
The 140 gr. AccuBond "Work's" well, also ! I've used both bullets on Elk, in Northern Ariz and,. Idaho.
My grandson just Shot, completely through ( Upper Shoulders ! ), an Antelope, 2 weeks ago with, My old Rifle, using, the 140 Berger at, 260 Yards !
Absolutely.

@Idaho Lefty get in here and testify! 🤣
Good Memory there, Calvin 45 !

Last edited:

Yes,.. It's,. PLENTY ! And 650 -700 Yards would Be, my personal Max Range on Elk, tho It CAN,. kill,.. Further ! ( Remember, the Wind ! )
With my, 3/4 MOA, Tikka, T-3X, in .270 WSM using, the 140 Cl Hunt, Berger's, I shot, a 5 shot, 5 inch dia. Group at, 703 Yards,..
on One of, my Better Days !
Know your Wind Charts tho, as the Wind can, Blow those Bullets around, a Bit !

Last edited:
I got caught up chasing the trends and built a 6.5 GAP4S aka 6.5 SAUM a few years back. My dad had an old .270 WSM and when I built our dope cards I was shocked that such an "old" round could perform the same or slightly better than my fancy new 6.5. 270 WSM is a great round for all N American game and is in a short action to boot!