Iron sight plugs

Paulbunyon

Silly question guys, but I'm curious. I have recently pulled the iron sights off of some of my older rifles. What do you use to plug the tapped holes that the iron sights screwed into?

Thanks, Akdad. I've used these before. Looks like I need some more. As I was about to put in a new order, I started wondering if there was anything new on the market I'd never heard of or maybe a trick I needed to learn. I probably should have led with that 😂.

Plugging them is really only for looks. I've actually bought colored wax and worked it into the holes in the past. If you ever need/want to remove it, a little heat gun work and you're back to new. If you're one that likes to shoot lots of back to back shots, might consider something else (barrel heat can melt it)

Melt a black Crayon marker in the holes which will melt if the barrel gets real hot or go to a local gun store. I'd imagine they all carry the screws. Let your fingers do the walking and call them.

X2 on the local gun store. Usually has a whole tray from removing plug screws to mount scopes. Brownells is second.
I got tired of messing with it and before I painted my rifle I filled them with JB weld and sanded smooth. Not putting iron sites back on an old 270.

Thanks, guys! I thought maybe I was loosing some marbles having these same thoughts. Glad it's worked for y'all. @VTbluegrass, I might just try that JB Weld trick. Even on my old lever guns, I don't expect to ever be going back to iron sights.

Good to know. I might do a quick dry run on some scraps I have lying around. If it goes horribly wrong, I'll post some pics as a warning for future tinkerers.

Not to turn this into a JB Weld thread, but the Google machine says you can die the epoxy mixture black with carbon deposits from a candle flame. That'd look a lot better than the pale gray color. Anyone tried that little trick?

I used to be a diehard iron sight guy. I still like the idea but my eyes are definitely not as big of a fan anymore. I do admit permanently filling the holes on a lever gun made me panic a bit though 😂😂😂

There is a black powder that is designed to be mixed with epoxy but be forewarned it greatly lessens the cure time. I used to keep these plug screws for customers that wanted to pug the screw holes on their rifles I do remember back then dealer cost was $1.10 each. Because of the cost we let them have those at cost. Some will still accuse us of trying to rip them off.