input on caliber choice for remington 700 sps SA, opions appreciated!

Well,

Going back to my origional post, I would bring my attention back to the .243 Ackley Improved. Due to the fact that you can achieve the total overall length that is desired and with the 1-8" twist you can shoot the 115g Bergers. This cartridge doesn't suffer from bullet intrusion as the 6mm AI or 6mm-.284 Win does. Little can actually be achieved in velocity gains over the bigger cartridges.

I enjoy my little .243 AI. Where it's not what you are going to build, (It doesn't even resemble it). It's just a Ruger M77MKII that has been accurized and the barrel set back and rechambered. The purpose was a lightweight deer rifle for my boys (they are all little guys) to start shooting and hunting with. Also to shoot a 100g bullet 200 fps than a standard .243 does. It does this quite well and is quite accurate for the type of rifle it is.
It also doubles as a packable Coyote rifle and has served that purpose very well.

Redding makes great dies and they don't cost an arm and a leg. They are around $75.00 now a days and they produce very concentric ammo.

I like this cartridge also due to the ease of forming and the fact that brass is all over the place.

Hope this helps,
Dan

PS, I knew what you meant...... Varminator, No need for the condecending remarks...

Well,

Due to the fact that you can achieve the total overall length that is desired and with the 1-8" twist you can shoot the 115g Bergers.
Might take a look at the "Berger Bullet Tech Data List". Berger recommends at least a 1 in 7 twist for any of their 115g. projectiles. It's a 'stickey' right here in "Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics".

Last edited:
There is a reason the 6mm Dasher holds a lot of the 1000 yard records right now. Gives
up little in accuracy to the 6br and can reach 3000 fps with a 105 grain bullet. Take a good look at them and at the records they hold.

Sorry if this seems picky, but every rifleman should know the difference between caliber and cartridge. Since you have a 6mm barrel your caliber can be 6mm and nothing else.

What you are asking about is cartridge choice. Again my apologies please but the confusion makes your request for input misleading.

as a rule the first number in a wildcat is the bore size, and the second set of numbers are usually the parent case. Anything after that is normally a modification to the parent case the round came out of. As in 6/.284-.100" short. A 6/250AI is nothing but a .250 Savage case necked down to 6mm with an Ackley improved case design. I suppose there is no written rule on this, but this is the way I was taught. Where we really get into trouble is with a lot of the English cartridges designed for dangerous game. There are at least three different .450 Nitro Expresses out there, and they are not the only one.

Perhaps it's time to make a rule about what and how we call each cartridge we shoot.
gary

Thanks for the info gary, I may do some checking on knocking the 284 back .100", sounds like a screamer, and the 284 case design it just flat out accurate in all wildcats I have seen. Hey varmint911 what are you confused about, simple question, I have a 6mm/.243 cal blank, I was looking for some ideas of cartridges that can hit the lands and fit in a 2.995" mag box, I like getting opinions I know there is a 6x45, 6x47, 243wssm, 6xc, 6br, 6dasher, 6x250, 6x250ai, 6x, 243, 243ai, 6mm, 6mm ai, 6x284, 6-06, 6-06ai, 6wsm, 240wby......... I was looking for different options like gary mentioned like the BG or the 6x284short, something a little different, if your still confused I don't know what to tell you.

I've always wanted to do an improved HLS before I finally croak. I figure I can do it with a 6mmAI reamer. Would call it a ".243 done right." A 6/.250AI reamed short would pretty much be a 6BG with a 40 degree shoulder, and I really honestly think that little round is good for 3100fps with a 105AMAX. Be a great dog gun for sure. Also thought about necking the 30AR round down to 6mm, but think the neck is gonna kill that round.
gary

Well,

Going back to my origional post, I would bring my attention back to the .243 Ackley Improved. Due to the fact that you can achieve the total overall length that is desired and with the 1-8" twist you can shoot the 115g Bergers. This cartridge doesn't suffer from bullet intrusion as the 6mm AI or 6mm-.284 Win does. Little can actually be achieved in velocity gains over the bigger cartridges.

I enjoy my little .243 AI. Where it's not what you are going to build, (It doesn't even resemble it). It's just a Ruger M77MKII that has been accurized and the barrel set back and rechambered. The purpose was a lightweight deer rifle for my boys (they are all little guys) to start shooting and hunting with. Also to shoot a 100g bullet 200 fps than a standard .243 does. It does this quite well and is quite accurate for the type of rifle it is.
It also doubles as a packable Coyote rifle and has served that purpose very well.

Redding makes great dies and they don't cost an arm and a leg. They are around $75.00 now a days and they produce very concentric ammo.

I like this cartridge also due to the ease of forming and the fact that brass is all over the place.

Hope this helps,
Dan

PS, I knew what you meant...... Varminator, No need for the condecending remarks...

Ackley and a few other well placed folks that are in the know have said many times over that the .243 case is a barrel maker's dream come true. Akley did his thing to help contain the brass flow and try to make it have an extended case life. He said the 51mm Winchester case was really a pretty much improved design in itself, so gains in velocity are minimal. The generic 6mm Remington case design is far better, but is also regarded as about the max without hitting an overbore condition. That's why the 6mm Ackley really dosn't show tremendous velocity gains (150-175fps), and the standard 6/.284 design is in the same boat. Compair the 6BR with the others shooting 105 grain bullets, and then compair the case capacity.
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts