Improving the 308 Win performance

I have a tendency to load hot. In my 308, really a little to much so and I have backed it down. I've been shot, (At work, not a thug.😅) and you'd think that would keep me in check. With all that said, everyone has the freedom to load as they see fit. I ask that if you have never saw the video on Youtube of Kentucky Ballistics with a 50 cal blowing up and the video after, where he explains showing the results to the firearm and his body, I recommend you watch. If not but for curiosity alone.
He did not handload this ammo.

So I'm feeling like an idiot. Who is the BD and BD2 bullet?
They are made by Badlands Precision and the BD stands for Bulldozer which are aluminum tipped hollow point hunting bullets. BD2 refers to the second generation of those bullets with improved BC and a lower expansion velocity to expand the bullet ogive at impact (1700 fps for the BD2s).

Last edited:
My JB LR308 with a 20 inch just loves 48.7 grs of varget pushing Nosler 150 BT. I would never imagined a semi-auto that could out perform my bolts. Pushing out at 3818 fps +-10, it hits at below moa very consistently. The upper is JB, mated to a 80 lower I did. No pressure issues except a blown primer about 1 out of 100.
oops- 2818.....

Lots about this post is making controversial claims and thoughts. In a true apples for apples comparison the 308 will never outperform a 30-06. True a light load 30-06 may be slower than a crazy hot load for a 308 but apples for apples it isn't going to happen.

Same for the 900 yds on elk. Possible, maybe. Appropriate, never.

Use the 308 the way it was intended. Moderate weight pill inside 400 yards absolute max distance. If you want to shoot further and faster just sell it and buy a hotter cartridge. I have loaded the 215 and 230 bergers in a 308. They shot reasonably well at like 2200 FPS. But still didn't increase the range at which the bullet was going over 1800 FPS at impact. Just provided more mass for penetration and appropriately moderate expansion at 0-300 yds.
I disagree with you as I have taken caribou at 400 with no problem.plus moose near that range. I also know the 308 can take a elk at 600 yards,helped pack it out. The right bullet and someone
that knows his rifle. The longest sniper kill with a 308 is 2700 yards. You can look it up. I agree most people should get inside of 400 but the 308 round will take animals past 600 if the shooter knows his rifle and has practiced alot

I only tried one powder RL 25 on the 208 eldm it was 3150 fps...I was concentrated on the 250 ATIPS hence the 4.00 in cartridges at 2985 fps from a 26" barrel and purchased a 30" 8 twist for it but chambered it in 308 Win long action which turned out to be an excellent shooter. No further explanation consudered or needed, for those it applies to.
So you fools inject your magnum calibers in a "308 improvement" discussion...And expect me to be impressed? ...how typical, delusional, egotistical, and self serving.
Then you whine about the 6.5 guys and their insanity...when you are the same delusional boat. Few decent discussions can be had with delusional selfish minds injecting themselves, off topic, demanding mine is better, with childish ranting behavior...but you're on the wrong subject! 308 Win?
When nothing you have accomplished is special, in anyway, many before you, have already surpassed everything you will attempt to accomplish in your pathetic self centered life times. Just the facts...
Lol you were the first one that threw out your fancy 300 RUM. Literally no one was talking magnum before you came along and totally derailed the thread.

Maybe you should do the math. .... "what modern components can improve the performance of the 308 Win"?
Let me help you out.
The answer to your question is that the same modern components used to improve the performance of all the other old, been there done that, cartridge choices.

Start with a faster twist barrel, look for truly remarkable bullet performance, choose an efficient powder, and tune your load.

If you want easy, buy Hornady Precision Hunter ammo by the case, put a Schmidt Bender on it and go shoot enough to be proficient.

This thread would be dedicated to ways to improve the performance of the 308 Win or the 7.62x51 mm cartridge without wildcatting the case. Experienced and innovative reloaders should find this interesting and are encouraged to participate. The 308Win is so versatile, inherently accurate and commonly used, and yet its performance in terms of MV, trajectory and speed is a bit mediocre. I am sure it can out perform the 3006. To start with I offer up my favorite hunting load I have used for the past 6/7 years in the 308Win. The 150 gr BD or BD2 with 49 gr of Leverevolution going 2920 fps from a 1:10, 20"Douglas barrel in a short action rifle. The same load from a 24" Bartlein 1:9 twist barrel goes 3050 fps. This load would be a pretty decent long range Elk load to 900 yds or so.
I'd say if the 308 is perfect in all her glory! No need to hot rod it at all. If you're trying to out do another cartridge like the 30-06 that's perfect for her design and intended purposes personally I'd step into the 300 winnie, Roy or rum. Especially to reach out there for elk. The 308 will get it done in ideal conditions but add into a bit of elk stepping or wind drift or miscalculation and hit massive shoulder structures and the chase begins!

I'd say if the 308 is perfect in all her glory! No need to hot rod it at all. If you're trying to out do another cartridge like the 30-06 that's perfect for her design and intended purposes personally I'd step into the 300 winnie, Roy or rum. Especially to reach out there for elk. The 308 will get it done in ideal conditions but add into a bit of elk stepping or wind drift or miscalculation and hit massive shoulder structures and the chase begins!
I agree. I was on a 270 kick a while back. Had to download it to handle the recoil. Ended up with 6.5 CR ballistics without the great BC bullets. But, had to get it out of my system. If you are going to make a caliber run the same numbers as another caliber, might as well get the other caliber and get proficient with it. However, it is fun to tinker and see what you can get out of a cartridge.

An exercise in improving/optimizing the 308 (or any cartridge for that matter) can be a enjoyable and worthwhile project. Claiming it is "better/faster" than the next step up is just stupid. Modern powder optimal formula 308 is better than classic 30-06 but...modern powder formula 30-06 is better than 300 Mag but... modern formula 300 Mag is better than 300 RUM but... It's a losing cycle. Optimizing the 308 making it the best it can be, that I'll buy.

My little 6.5CM with RL26 is in 6.5 PRC territory. However, apply the same magic powder formula to the PRC and it steps up as well. So my loads in the 6.5 CM with RL26 are on par with factory 6.5 PRC but it doesn't make the 6.5 CM better than the PRC.