Image of sectioned bullets, SMK, Scenar, BT, AB, NP, CT

Dave King

I sectioned a few bullets over this past weekend and thought some others might like a peek at bullet guts.

Sectioned_Bullets_labeled.jpg

Great stuff. I can see how much they have beefed up the Nosler BT's. These aren't the fragile bullets they once were. The Combined Tech looks like the orig BT design.

Best is the comparison between the accubond and the BT. Essentiall the same bullet just one has the lead 'glued' to the core. Very enlightening.

Any chance of cutting up some 155 gr 178gr Amax, SST's and Interbonds?

Jerry

Jerry

I'll cut up whatever I can find hanging around, I do have a few A-Max but in small calibers I believe.

That Combined Tech bullet is pretty old and I may have some "old" Ballistic Tip bullets around too, it'd be interesting to do a old vs new comparison.

4ked Horn

I have a neat little vise that came with my Sherline mill and it clamps pretty well to the bullet just below longitudinal center.

For my next trick I'm going to mill some 308 Win & 7.62 NATO cases for comparison. I have some Lapua, RWS, Federal, M118LR and M118SB.

That is some very nice cutting work.

I worked over the Nosler partition, Sierra gamekings, Hornady and Nosler Accubonds about a month or so ago and found major differences in the hardness of the lead. The nosler partition has soft lead and the Accubond has very hard lead. I think Goodgrouper said that Scenar had very hard lead.

If you have nothing better to do you might try the Rockwell hardness test on them by using an ice pick or sharp nail and see what you think about the core. I wonder if the color of the core has any relationship to the hardness of the lead. If I remember correctly Antimony is used and it is white but I don't know how that comes out as a color in an alloy.

Nice pics and nice work .
The BT shows a half circle.. was that caused by you , is it the picture or the lead has this " imperfection"?

I don't believe there were any imperfections in the bullets. It's possible that I did that with the milling machine but I'll deny it if possible!!

Thanks....V.Interesting....amazed at the size of the void in the 155 scenar.

Be very interested to see a 167 scenar against a 168 matchking

One other comment....I've heard people complain that the partition "went right through" without expanding. Man the jacket around the nose area is as thin as any other bullet up there. You'll never convince me a partition doesn't mushroom.

Very interesting Dave.
Notice how the Scenar has a little doughnut shaped ring on top of the lead core? Any ideas what this is for or is it just a footprint of the machine that puts the lead in there?

Real nice job! Nice to see what those bullets look like cut into. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

kraky1,
I thought this also for a long time after my first deer i shot had a pencil sized entry and exit wound. After doing some research on the partition bullet after this happened I found at that what typically happens with partition bullets is that the fron area expands and many times separates from the rear of the bullet. After this happens the rest of the bullet essentially acts like a flat nosed FMJ.

Just some infor I had read
take it easy
steve

lerch, my only experience with the partition on game was a big sized deer (some 350 lbs) shot at 250 m. broadside. As you say, small entry and exit wound, the deer ran like hell after being shot for some 60 yds. and fell. I agree with you, classic partition behaviour seems to be open up and fragment front part, and you end up with a hardly expanded rear section that goes through.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts