Ideas for reducing recoil without brake

trying to convince my dad to get out for an antelope hunt. Kind of a last hunt together sort of thing. Probably just a damage doe hunt with minimal walking. Due to some medical concerns he’s very recoil shy. Particularly concerned about a scope bumping his eye - with his condition that could cause permanent damage to the one good eye he has left leaving him blind. So I need something that has the recoil of a .22 :)

I have a little rem 700 mountain rifle in .243 that I’m thinking about fixing up for him. I’d say his max range would be 200 yards, maybe 300, so it should be enough to do the trick. The barrel is paper-thin, so I’m assuming threading for a brake is out of the question.

My thought is to add a recoil pad and a scope with lots of eye relief. I’m also wondering if I can add some weight to the gun somehow, preferably without messing up the POI? It’s a very light gun I use for backpacking, so if I could slip something on for him, then take it off when I’m using it that would be best. Alternatively, is there some sort of heavy-duty tripod I could set up in the field that would clamp the gun down and absorb most of the recoil?

Any ideas welcome.
Did not read all the responses so likely duplicate. Easiest option, buy a used rifle in 223 with a 1:7 twist heavy barrel. Put a Mercury Suppressor in the stock, or add lead shot if the stock is hollow, heaviest you can find, and put on a 1" Limbsaver recoil pad. With a long eye relief scope he should be able to shoot it one handed and have the gun not move hardly at all. Resell gun when done with it or keep it for kids and grand kids to learn to shoot on..

Hope you two have a great hunt. I really miss hunting with my Dad.

Last edited:
As stated previously, if you’re hunting in Wyoming, you can get away with a .22 cal cartridge with heavier bullets.

Probably the most important things I can think of is get the scope with the most eye relief for shots out to 300 yards; Leupold generally has a lot. Secondly, make sure he only moves his face forward enough on the stock to get a full sight picture in the scope. If he does that and the rifle is seated into his shoulder, he won’t get hit.

People get whacked by the scope when they have a breakdown in their shooting form or the rifle is setup poorly (scope mounted too far back).

trying to convince my dad to get out for an antelope hunt. Kind of a last hunt together sort of thing. Probably just a damage doe hunt with minimal walking. Due to some medical concerns he’s very recoil shy. Particularly concerned about a scope bumping his eye - with his condition that could cause permanent damage to the one good eye he has left leaving him blind. So I need something that has the recoil of a .22 :)

I have a little rem 700 mountain rifle in .243 that I’m thinking about fixing up for him. I’d say his max range would be 200 yards, maybe 300, so it should be enough to do the trick. The barrel is paper-thin, so I’m assuming threading for a brake is out of the question.

My thought is to add a recoil pad and a scope with lots of eye relief. I’m also wondering if I can add some weight to the gun somehow, preferably without messing up the POI? It’s a very light gun I use for backpacking, so if I could slip something on for him, then take it off when I’m using it that would be best. Alternatively, is there some sort of heavy-duty tripod I could set up in the field that would clamp the gun down and absorb most of the recoil?

Any ideas welcome.
We have a .243 Win in a 700 DM Mountain Rifle and there is no kick to it. If you want to make it a little softer recoil put a Pachmayer 1" Recoil pad on it!

1719766678806.jpeg

Attachments

• Rem 700 Mountain DM -243.jpg
    Rem 700 Mountain DM -243.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 10
My 22ARC is shooting 77 grain tipped match kings at 3000fps out of an 18” barrel. That will easily handle a lope even at extended distance. Recoil is only slightly more than a .223/5.56.
So a standard 223 will push that 77 grain bullet at 2800 FPS, and factory ammo is cheap, easy to come by and brass is virtually free. Don't think I would give up all those advantages for an extra 200 FPS unless I was using an AR platform and even then the 223 seems like a better choice.

The whole idea is to get to as close to no recoil as possible, without using a brake, and have a legal hunting round. Guy could get even less recoil with a 22 Hornet. New Zealand and Australia use that extensively for game control on Antelope size game. Loaded with 50 grain Barnes TTSX, would be more than adequate to 300 yards. That load would have about the same kick as a 22 Mag.

I have killed several hogs and deer with my 6mm rem. (Almost identical velocity to 243). Several with 70 gr hammer hunter with great results. I would switch to the 75 hammer hht bullet. Due to design it provides better velocity than conventional jacketed bullets. With a light load very little recoil and will still kill antelope way past 200 yards

Even the 80 gr Barnes would be great