Ideas for reducing recoil without brake

Hikinghunter

trying to convince my dad to get out for an antelope hunt. Kind of a last hunt together sort of thing. Probably just a damage doe hunt with minimal walking. Due to some medical concerns he’s very recoil shy. Particularly concerned about a scope bumping his eye - with his condition that could cause permanent damage to the one good eye he has left leaving him blind. So I need something that has the recoil of a .22 :)

I have a little rem 700 mountain rifle in .243 that I’m thinking about fixing up for him. I’d say his max range would be 200 yards, maybe 300, so it should be enough to do the trick. The barrel is paper-thin, so I’m assuming threading for a brake is out of the question.

My thought is to add a recoil pad and a scope with lots of eye relief. I’m also wondering if I can add some weight to the gun somehow, preferably without messing up the POI? It’s a very light gun I use for backpacking, so if I could slip something on for him, then take it off when I’m using it that would be best. Alternatively, is there some sort of heavy-duty tripod I could set up in the field that would clamp the gun down and absorb most of the recoil?

Any ideas welcome.

trying to convince my dad to get out for an antelope hunt. Kind of a last hunt together sort of thing. Probably just a damage doe hunt with minimal walking. Due to some medical concerns he’s very recoil shy. Particularly concerned about a scope bumping his eye - with his condition that could cause permanent damage to the one good eye he has left leaving him blind. So I need something that has the recoil of a .22 :)

I have a little rem 700 mountain rifle in .243 that I’m thinking about fixing up for him. I’d say his max range would be 200 yards, maybe 300, so it should be enough to do the trick. The barrel is paper-thin, so I’m assuming threading for a brake is out of the question.

My thought is to add a recoil pad and a scope with lots of eye relief. I’m also wondering if I can add some weight to the gun somehow, preferably without messing up the POI? It’s a very light gun I use for backpacking, so if I could slip something on for him, then take it off when I’m using it that would be best. Alternatively, is there some sort of heavy-duty tripod I could set up in the field that would clamp the gun down and absorb most of the recoil?

Any ideas welcome.
I have a 6.5 CM suppressed, and the felt recoil is hardly noticeable.

Have you considered a specialty handgun? Plenty of specialty handgun (check out the sub-forum - https://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/specialty-handgun-hunting.29/) users stretch beyond your 200Y range parameter. This will also keep your Dad's eyes safe and as far away from getting bumped with the scope due to recoil. Good luck!

@Ernie

Last edited:
Load an 85gr TTSX, Speer 85BTSP or Sierra, and I have seen a couple of 70gr NBT loads at 3,000fps muzzle that did a good job on 2-300yd small doe shots. I would be careful on closer shots and keep it on the ribs or wait.

Weight attacked to the stock via cheek pouch, weight clamped on front stock via sling swivel attachment or on the bipod itself, recoil pads and he can wear padded shooting jacket or recoil reducing shoulder pad - PAST.

I believe .24 minimum for antelope in Wyoming.
All of those are .224 caliber rounds.

Misread. I wasn’t aware of that.

.243 is minimum for certain species:

For big game hunters the following firearms and ammunition may be used:

• For the taking of moose, bighorn sheep, elk, mountain goat, and black bear, hunters shall use any centerfire firearm of at least .24 caliber and with a cartridge at least two inches long.

• For deer, antelope, mountain lion, and gray wolf, the major change is the addition of .22 centerfire cartridges as legal ammunition. For the taking of deer, antelope, mountain lions, and gray wolves in areas where they are designated as trophy game, hunters can use any centerfire firearm of at least .22 caliber, using a cartridge at least two inches long and firing a bullet of at least 60 grains.

Last edited:
Not necessarily! What's the muzzle OD? I have 3 rifles with sporter barrels that have muzzle brakes. A reputable gunsmith can also build a shoulder to beef up the muzzle threading, as shown in the video below.