Ideal Wolf Hunting Rifle

AR15 in 223 or 6.8

64gr Powerpoints work excellent in the 223 Rem

High capacity mags most wolfs run in packs multi targets

Nice question I think, but according to my experience wolf hunting is a sharp mind game it game mostly depend on your mind and also depend on your experience. How much experience you have in wolf hunting doesn't matter what kind of gun or rifle you have. But according to your question I must say the "Black Rifle" is the best for this.

Nice question I think, but according to my experience wolf hunting is a sharp mind game it game mostly depend on your mind and also depend on your experience. How much experience you have in wolf hunting doesn't matter what kind of gun or rifle you have. But according to your question I must say the "Black Rifle" is the best for this.

Curious why you would say a black rifle? In this country it would be helpful to be able to make a 1000 yd or father shot. For that I would prefer a med weight bolt gun set up for precision LR work.

Curious why you would say a black rifle? In this country it would be helpful to be able to make a 1000 yd or father shot. For that I would prefer a med weight bolt gun set up for precision LR work.

Why not the black rifle? They are chambered in rounds more than capable of reaching 1000yds. 6 .5grendel (AR-15), 260rem (AR-10), 6.5 Creedmoor (AR-10), 243win(AR-10), 300rsaum(AR-10). Les Baer offers a 6.5 but I can't recall the name. Having owned a half dozen or better AR's I have to say that the ones set up for precision shooting give very little ground to a bolt rifle of the same dimensions. Except searching for your ejected brass in the snow :D

t

This is my way of thinking also. In my neck of the woods, a guy will see a lot of mutts at a distance past 500 yards.
My experience with black guns is minimal and all are factory guns. Colts and Remington, is what I have been around and none of them shot much better then 1 moa. Now lets say you have a mutt sitting down looking at you which is my most common still wolf target. If that mutt is 400 yards away with any breeze at all you are out of the game with the common black gun.
I do on the other hand have 1 friend with a Les Baer 264 that shoots very very good 1000 yard groups.
Also the mutts around here do not run in close packs, they are typically in pairs or 100-800 yards apart. So I will take my bolt gun and a fast horse!

Nothing against black rifles and I've seen some video of them being used for long shots, but IME a bolt gun is a better tool for LR precision. Same reason I would choose the bolt for deer or elk. Heavy 26"-28" braked barrel on a light-med weight action bedded into a good stock.

I'm curious why the black gun would be "better" for wolf hunting?

There are times when a semi., at least a rotating bolt head/ extractor is a liability. Granted very few people are going to have a pack of 30 wolves walk past him at a couple hundred yards at 50 below. But a friend of mine did and his AR fired 1 round. The extractor tore
itself over the rim and that was that. 1 wolf out of 30 . That is the kind of bitter failure one never forgets.

It was 30 below at the house this morning. We get packs here and singles..

For the general run of wolf hunting an AR that was accurate but reliable. Would work well. A little bit of slop isn't always a bad thing. An H+k 91 is reliable.
I would like my 6.5 Cm M77 mk II set up to take M1 A 20 round mags.

Last edited:
Why not the black rifle? They are chambered in rounds more than capable of reaching 1000yds. 6 .5grendel (AR-15), 260rem (AR-10), 6.5 Creedmoor (AR-10), 243win(AR-10), 300rsaum(AR-10). Les Baer offers a 6.5 but I can't recall the name. Having owned a half dozen or better AR's I have to say that the ones set up for precision shooting give very little ground to a bolt rifle of the same dimensions. Except searching for your ejected brass in the snow :D

t
I am in no way disagreeing about the use of black guns, it seems people on other threads and forums are a little sensitive these days about wolf killing calibers and guns, I see these discussions, as a way to learn the other side of going about business. My family and a lot of others out there, tend to be in a little thick bubble where "**** it, this is the way we do things,,,, PERIOD" I try hard to see things from all views. ( I am still waiting to hear back from a guy from another thread on how much bigger his Alaskan wolfs are then Montana wolves. Not to be a jerk I really want to know).

My way of thinking is the gun has to be easy to carry in a saddle scabbard. It has to be fairly light weight to cover a lot of country, by foot, in a hurry (running)in knee deep snow, which from my experience the black guns are heavy! I have not needed more then 4 bullets when I do business with these mutts. Most of all the reason I have not been impressed is accuracy of the rifles I have been around.
I do however think that the appropriate black gun in the Lamar Valley during elk calving time would be a blast! (pun intendeedily)gun)

Boy , Rooster ; talk about fighting words :)
We fight more up here about how big wolves get than we do about the true trophy size of 10' brown bear. Skull size anyway.
Some wolves get to be 200 pounders , most don't. Some only get to 80 lbs. I think the average is between 100-120 lbs.

I am in no way disagreeing about the use of black guns, it seems people on other threads and forums are a little sensitive these days about wolf killing calibers and guns, I see these discussions, as a way to learn the other side of going about business. My family and a lot of others out there, tend to be in a little thick bubble where "**** it, this is the way we do things,,,, PERIOD" I try hard to see things from all views. ( I am still waiting to hear back from a guy from another thread on how much bigger his Alaskan wolfs are then Montana wolves. Not to be a jerk I really want to know).

My way of thinking is the gun has to be easy to carry in a saddle scabbard. It has to be fairly light weight to cover a lot of country, by foot, in a hurry (running)in knee deep snow, which from my experience the black guns are heavy! I have not needed more then 4 bullets when I do business with these mutts. Most of all the reason I have not been impressed is accuracy of the rifles I have been around.
I do however think that the appropriate black gun in the Lamar Valley during elk calving time would be a blast! (pun intendeedily)gun)

The last time I was in the Lamar Valley, the week before Christmas, I did not see one elk from Tower to Cooke City and very few Bison and the snow was not all that deep. The thought of wolves during elk calving season makes me sick. Forget the AR's, get some full auto Brownings and mount them on the back of a truck or 4 wheeler!!!

Boy , Rooster ; talk about fighting words :)
We fight more up here about how big wolves get than we do about the true trophy size of 10' brown bear. Skull size anyway.
Some wolves get to be 200 pounders , most don't. Some only get to 80 lbs. I think the average is between 100-120 lbs.

That pretty much describes our wolves and we will be glad to send them back!

The last time I was in the Lamar Valley, the week before Christmas, I did not see one elk from Tower to Cooke City and very few Bison and the snow was not all that deep. The thought of wolves during elk calving season makes me sick. Forget the AR's, get some full auto Brownings and mount them on the back of a truck or 4 wheeler!!!

I got first dibs on the ammo bearer position but we need to take someone elses truck! A couple of weeks ago there was a small bunch of cows with no calves just past Soda Butte, No elk in Mammoth, which is scarey! There was bison everywhere, but not many calves with the ones I saw!

Some one found a few buffalo
www.bozemandailychronicle.com/news/wildlife/article_8327d3e6-911b-11e2-ab0b-0019bb2963f4.html?soc=8327d3e6-911b-11e2-ab0b-0019bb2963f4

You have some valid points for sure. A "black rifle" is taller than a bolt gun which basically means a custom scabbard is in order. Not a deal breaker but a PITA. Your second point is spot on, they can get DARN heavy, especially the AR-10's. I'm surprised you haven't been around an accurate AR. Then again I can understand as most folks I know spend over $1k on an AR, then buy the cheapest ammo they can find to feed it :rolleyes: I have a 16" 5.56 that I hand load for, 68grain Hornady's in fact. It will shoot well under moa @ 100, problem is, with a 4x scope I've never shot it further :D

My AR-10 in .243 will group between 1/2 & 3/4" @ 100 as well. Then again, I hand load for that too.

Not arguing at all, just noting my experiences.

t

I just bought a Savage 6.5-284 yesterday and am going to mount a Vortex Viper 6-20 scope that I have and join in the fun.
My son has a place in Ennis and all of the ranchers welcome you with open arms down in that country.
I personally have seen them all over the Madison Valley.

Randy