Ideal Wolf Hunting Rifle

I have talked to my good friend Coke Wallace, a professional wolf hunter, and guide. Coke guides a lot of hunters out to kill wolves in the spring, and always knows where and when to find them. I was talking to him about which gun I should use. He had one and only one caliber he recommends.

The 25-06, it has enough authority to knock a wolf down for keeps. It also has the range to hit Wolves out at longer ranges. Once Coke finds a pack and starts shooting he wants to take out the whole pack. We are over run with Wolves up here and the Caribou and Moose calves need the relief.

I go out and take Wolves under a trapping license. Pelts are bringing $400 and up right now. I use a 25-06, with another 25-06 as back up on the sled. I took a Savage 110 frame and barrel in 25-06, and had a Rifle Basics trigger put on it. I had a brake added, and put it in a Keystone Thumb hole laminated stock. I put a Cabela's Alaska Guide 4-16 scope with the range finding reticle. This gun works great out to 500 yards. But it is a cantidate for a better scope. I am looking at the Bushnell Elite. The one with the built in range finder. The one that ranges out to 800 yards. 700 yards is the limit for the 25-06. Oh you can hit one out farther, but the energy just is not there to finish the job.

Ya, the 25/06 is pretty ideal for wolf. Where did u get your thumbhole stock? . Having a spare rifle with you is a great idea. Do u use a bipod?
I think that Bushnell laser scope would be great above 0°

What snogo do u use?

Why are the wolf pelts bringing so much money? What are they used for?

If you ever get to see a good wolf pelt made into a rug similar to a bear rug you would understand. They are absolutely gorgeous. :D

gt40

Attachments

• wolf pelts .jpeg
    wolf pelts .jpeg
    8.4 KB · Views: 166
I ordered my stock from Cabela's. I did the fitting myself. I usually use the seat or back rest of my snowmachine, it's easier and faster. the reason for the spare rifle is if you happen to damage the rifle or scope when you are hours from the highway, and a four hyour drive home, a spare rifle can save the hunt.

I ride a Ski Doo Skandic Super Wide Track. The one with a twin V 800 cc engine, and a 24" wide track. Reverse and high and low transmission.

When the fur markets opened this year Wolf pelts were in short supply. Wolf fur is used for Ruffs, Hats, Coats, and a lot of Taxidermy work. A Wolf Parka is beautiful. Last year a Blue Wolf Pelt brought $1,400.00, and a pure white one brought $1,200.00. These were at the auction.

Wow, it must be a fun and fulfilling hunt. They sound real smart, not like the movies where they are constantly killing humans. Sounds like one of the most fun and skillful hunts to go on. Any difference in wolves in Canada versus Alaska? Is it hard to get a permit or tag for a NY'er non resident Alaskan? What would be the ideal shot placement and gun and/or bullet for sparing the fur.

A lot of places you don't need a tag but some places you do.
Yesterday I went back thru and read this whole thread again.
I like the shoulder shot if possible, wolves can run like the wind. So you might as well slow them down.

I like the 243 on up thru the 6.5×55 modern pressure. My wolf rifle is a 6.5 Creedmoor. As a general rule u don't have to go crazy on the optics. It depends on your budget. Also if you want to get more than 1 it is advantageous to be able to hit a running wolf.

The general rule is if there are wolves I front of you, u ought to be killing them..
I would agree with Sourdough on the 25/06 . Its about the easiest cartridge to get into for a dedicated wolf rifle. The 243 is great also. I myself Really like the 6.5 s.

The last time I was in the Lamar Valley, the week before Christmas, I did not see one elk from Tower to Cooke City and very few Bison and the snow was not all that deep. The thought of wolves during elk calving season makes me sick. Forget the AR's, get some full auto Brownings and mount them on the back of a truck or 4 wheeler!!!

Thank you Montana! I was going to suggest a BAR (though not full auto) in any one of a number of calibers, but mine is 270win. I've never shot a wolf, but I'd be willing to bet my 110gr BTSP load leaving the barrel at 3250 would do a number on about any wolf on the planet with decent placement. This load shoots .5" groups from this gun and the recoil is very light so quick follow up shots are quite possible.

For you guy's in Alaska talking about the 243, what bullet weight is being used? My guess is a 95-105 but I dont know.
The more I shoot my 243 the more I like it, easy to find ammo for it even in
this shortage, at least around here.

For you guy's in Alaska talking about the 243, what bullet weight is being used? My guess is a 95-105 but I dont know.
The more I shoot my 243 the more I like it, easy to find ammo for it even in
this shortage, at least around here.

Not meaning to sidetrack the thread, but for the love of the 243win, Damol try the Federal blue box 80gr HP and 100gr SP. Both were very accurate in my 243 and velocities are close to listed; 3300+fps and 2940fps respectively. (22" tube) Capable of .25 MOA groups. Not exotic projectiles but I'm sure they get the job done on yotes to bucks and as economical as you're likely to find.

Yes, Alaskans we are intrigued...what projectiles do you use on your zombiewoofs?

I've used Searra .85 gr. HPBT Game Kings for 40 years and have found them to be devastating on deer. Have killed more then 50 with them. gun)- - - - - - - - - -

gt40