Idaho Deer Unit

Agreed. Idaho sold out of OTC deer tags last year. So regardless there is that amount of hunters. I would rather have one hunter be some guy off here with a similar mindset. A member here that takes the time to search on forums and ask for advice here is going to be more respectful of our gorgeous state.

lol!...of course you don't agree with me. If I and a small well-outfitted hunting army descended on Central Wisconsin to hunt deer, ducks and everything else, you'd think far differently.

You guys here in Idaho are crazy to answer any of these questions, especially on an open forum. OP, I don't mean disrespect, but if you want to hunt Idaho deer or anything else, pay your dues--grab a map. This sounds heartless, but as the fastest growing state in the country our resources and everything else are already strained, and giving away anything here ain't happening. I'm fortunate to have my own acreage to fall back on and hunt, but even here the out-of-state road hunters and trespassers are legion. It's ugly.
I hear you brother idaho is getting crazy these past 5 years.. I don't begrudge guys hunting here from out of state, the real problem is everyone from down south pouring up here by the thousands.
Really a shame how fast the west is growing, and anyone who wants to give broomd a hard time for being defensive of our states resources needs to consider how frustrating it's been for the guys who grew up here.

I definitely grew up here, and have had a lifetime hunting and fishing license here since I was 2 years old. Ya lots of people hunting is frustrating but that's half the battle. It's like that anywhere else.

You always have to be willing to go that extra mile to get away from people. I hunt in some "hunter crowded" areas that once I'm a mile off the roads there's no one. You can also hunt the way we do, which is skip opening few days and then you hunt where the animals go to when being pressured.

IDFG limits tags and I think they have decent hunt area size for each tag ratios. I'm more concerned about the wolves decimating the big game populations.

As long as IDFG does a good job with game management and everyone is reporting harvests, why shonuld you have a problem with giving hunters advice on areas? It's public land.

Call me crazy all you want, but I respect guys that will spend the money to come from across the county to hunt an OTC tag. I would rather have that guy hunt here over the guy that throws 20k at a guide to trophy hunt some limited access area. It takes time and money and I'm not bashful, I'll point them in the right direction. I'm not going to say specific areas but good units that match what they are looking for.

I plan on hunting out of state in a few years. Probably Wyoming as I will be buying points. When I start getting serious about it one of my first things will be to ask some advice about what units and drawings on this forum. How can I ask those questions if I turn a cold shoulder to someone asking about my state?

What you don't realize is that these guys aren't limiting themselves to Idaho "wilderness" or anything else. ....the more "Idaho" gets bantered on these threads the worse it will be, any rationalizing it is pure stupidity. Wyoming and other states aren't getting 1/10th the attention of Idaho is on these forums these days, and thankfully most ID locals realize that 'less is more' ........at the very least PM things to others!.... Done here, things to do.

I still don't agree with you, but come to my state and hunt they'll take your money like they all do,come and see what the wolves have left!!! instead of helping here your dising people and not acting like true sportmen. if you have nothing good to say ,Keep it to yourself!

I just moved to SE Idaho 3 years ago...been tough figuring out mulies....I have to battle with people in areas because I don't have the back to hunt the big hills any longer, a 13 year old son and a wife restricted to the truck for severe health problems....yes I see quite a few other Idaho hunters out and about...but not many getting off the roads...lots on quads....during the last few days just before elk season starts in the general areas I see a lot of out of state license plates...
But as a whole...those guys are very seldom getting out of their rigs...
So...if you want to chance a draw hunt with several animals look into Unit 70...I know guys that have drawn the tag first time they put in....and had nice animals at the end of the hunt.....but you still have to bust your butt....but beware.....I saw a herd of those deer last year....all feeding at county dump......disgusting....I wont hunt that unit....ever....
Last year we saw some bucks....bordering private...but we still have out unused tags.....
Even went to north Idaho hunting general deer....didn't kill anything there either....
DYI or guided.....I would sit with a pocket of cash til I found the best place to go....have you ever taken a Blacktail....

I still don't agree with you, but come to my state and hunt they'll take your money like they all do,come and see what the wolves have left!!! instead of helping here your dising people and not acting like true sportmen. if you have nothing good to say ,Keep it to yourself!

Easy there, Cowboy. I've not disrespected anyone here! I've helped several guys here with once-in-a-lifetime sheep and moose tags take great animals in Idaho, guys I never even knew that emailed me for help! Some of these out-of-state guys have eaten my food at my dinner table! You know nothing about me and how I help others. And I'll say whatever I feel like around here, but I don't disrespect anyone. For deer, elk and bear, ****earn your own way!**** Things are crazy around here, the free ride is over from some of us.

Last edited:
re-read your posts,you typed them,calling people Crazy for answering simple questions? that WAS you Cowboy. just calling you out on your Flippant remarks and you made many of them !!! again GO re-read your posts,a take a walk to clear your head! respect Everyone,espically yourself,words become action's !!!

Dude, if you can't banter back and forth here without getting triggered to the degree you apparently are, you won't like hunting here.
Idaho can be tough, unforgiving country.

Moving on...

Holy cow, I can't believe this debate is still going on! I have been rebuilding some fence on my property & don't have time to sit in front of my laptop all day. Hope to get time to mount a scope on a 243 I just bought!!!
Anyway Mr. broomd, you go right on hating people & I will keep helping other hunters that are respectful. Maybe you need to go build some fence. Hee, hee.
I keep thinking back on a govt hunter who taught me how to shoot & trap squirrels when I was a kid. My dad was a cowboy/range rider & despised hunting. Then later in life 2 other govt hunters taught me trapping, snaring & calling. A friend that taught the police snipers where I used to live in Utah helped me a lot with my shooting. All this has turned me into a pretty good hunter. I am very thankful for the time other hunters have spent to make me better at something I absolutely live for.
Well, daylight is breaking so I better get back on my fence project.
Thanks, Kirk

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts