Idaho Deer Unit

timmymic

I am looking to take my first trip out to Idaho and trying to find an OTC deer unit that I can get some access to without flying in or walking 10 miles. Any suggestions?

Specify mule deer or white tail. And what shape your in because there's some places I hunt that I do a few thousand in vertical every day and some that I do almost none.

As this is a long range forum I'm assuming you would want a little more open area for glassing? If you provide a bit more info I can point you in the right direction.

Looking for mule deer but if I see a nice whitetail I am ok with taking that also. I am in decent shape but thousands of feet in elevation might be a little more than I can handle coming from 500 ft of elevation where I live. And yes I would really like to have some open to glass and stretch the legs of a new rifle.

Thanks for your response!

I live and hunt in Idaho. Mostly southeast ID. After the last couple of years experience I'd recommend almost any other state.

Very long and arduous hunts with few shot opportunities for both mule deer and elk.

The right places in Tex Creek unit south of Palisades Res with a ton of humpin the hills and staying awhile will probably work.

However, beginner's luck may hold true.

I live and hunt in Idaho. Mostly southeast ID. After the last couple of years experience I'd recommend almost any other state.

Very long and arduous hunts with few shot opportunities for both mule deer and elk.

The right places in Tex Creek unit south of Palisades Res with a ton of humpin the hills and staying awhile will probably work.

However, beginner's luck may hold true.

You and I must be thrash'in the same ridge. That's been my experience too.

Eastern Idaho deer took a beating last winter. It will be several years before they will recover.

Ya from what I have heard and seen most of the bigger mule deeis that were at higher elevations didn't make it thru the 2016-2017 winter.

Ya from what I have heard and seen most of the bigger mule deeis that were at higher elevations didn't make it thru the 2016-2017 winter.
I live in Idaho Falls & seen plenty of deer this last season. Lots of hiking on a late season bull elk tag & could have shot a couple of giants.
Thanks, Kirk

I live in Idaho Falls & seen plenty of deer this last season. Lots of hiking on a late season bull elk tag & could have shot a couple of giants.
Thanks, Kirk

Kirk,

The key words are "Lots of hiking". Most don't understand that. Those that I know that did the work, and it was a lot of work (a full month of hunting every day) were successful on both deer and elk.

I wasn't up to that level of effort this year.

You guys here in Idaho are crazy to answer any of these questions, especially on an open forum. OP, I don't mean disrespect, but if you want to hunt Idaho deer or anything else, pay your dues--grab a map. This sounds heartless, but as the fastest growing state in the country our resources and everything else are already strained, and giving away anything here ain't happening. I'm fortunate to have my own acreage to fall back on and hunt, but even here the out-of-state road hunters and trespassers are legion. It's ugly.

And by the way...as was mentioned '16-'17 winter was brutal on the mule deer here. I had a trip with wife planned in Central ID but we passed and killed WT deer at home. The muley herd needs some slack. That didn't stop non-res hunters who made the trip to ID anyway from posting pics of their triumphant hunts and tiny spikes and forkies. The silver lining here is reading from some of the locals who actually had kids that passed on small mule deer bucks for the herd's sake. Excellent examples of hunters mentoring their own! Kudos!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.