Idaho Bannock Zone

Josh86

I drew a late muzzy tag for the Bannock zone units 70-74. Anyone have experience in this country late November? I've elk hunted Idaho several times in the Beaverhead zone but it's always been in September. Any helpful info would be much appreciated.

November is rough time for these elk in those units.
They have been pressured since august when all the "scouting" ramps up hard for archery season.
Then the rifle season starts. It is a draw for bulls with an early hunt in early October then the second hunt starts the 15th and goes to the 24th.
Throw in all the deer hunters in the same area and those elk are running for the deepest timber or private property.
You also will have the hunters who have the A tag hunting cows in mid November with rifles.
Your best best will be to do your research and try and get permission from property owners or pay a trespassing fee to access the property.
Weather can be unpredictable then. Ranging from 75 degrees and dry to -20 and 2 feet of snow on the ground.
A lot of road systems in those units. Access is very easy and adds to the pressure issues. A lot of the locals are in the play for this hunt as they know the odds for the rifle hunt and went to the muzzy hunt because it was 100% draw. They slammed some good bulls last season but they watch these bulls 365 days morning till dark. I live around these units and hear and see the action each year.
Good luck and start researching your areas.
Start with private property and land that borders it. Then look for the deepest, darkest areas furthest from the roads.
Be prepared to hunt hard and run ins with other people

November is rough time for these elk in those units.
They have been pressured since august when all the "scouting" ramps up hard for archery season.
Then the rifle season starts. It is a draw for bulls with an early hunt in early October then the second hunt starts the 15th and goes to the 24th.
Throw in all the deer hunters in the same area and those elk are running for the deepest timber or private property.
You also will have the hunters who have the A tag hunting cows in mid November with rifles.
Your best best will be to do your research and try and get permission from property owners or pay a trespassing fee to access the property.
Weather can be unpredictable then. Ranging from 75 degrees and dry to -20 and 2 feet of snow on the ground.
A lot of road systems in those units. Access is very easy and adds to the pressure issues. A lot of the locals are in the play for this hunt as they know the odds for the rifle hunt and went to the muzzy hunt because it was 100% draw. They slammed some good bulls last season but they watch these bulls 365 days morning till dark. I live around these units and hear and see the action each year.
Good luck and start researching your areas.
Start with private property and land that borders it. Then look for the deepest, darkest areas furthest from the roads.
Be prepared to hunt hard and run ins with other people
Thanks for all the info! Sounds like a tough hunt, but then again I've never been on an easy elk hunt. Hopefully we can find a farmer with some elk that will give us permission or allow us to pay a trespass fee.

@RH300UM is spot on here! Elk hunts are super tough when the animals have all moved onto private ranches. I've hunted this unit 5 times as a cow hunter. Never saw an elk on public land. Finally got smart on my 3rd trip and leased a ranch through a friend. Got my cow 3 years straight after that. Because it's through a friend I can't recommend a name but I will ask and get back to you with a pm.

@RH300UM is spot on here! Elk hunts are super tough when the animals have all moved onto private ranches. I've hunted this unit 5 times as a cow hunter. Never saw an elk on public land. Finally got smart on my 3rd trip and leased a ranch through a friend. Got my cow 3 years straight after that. Because it's through a friend I can't recommend a name but I will ask and get back to you with a pm.
That would be awesome! I don't mind paying if it means the difference between a full freezer and tag soup. I'd even be willing to pay your friend a referral fee if its works out. Thanks!

Look for irrigated Alfalfa farmers. I farm in That zone. I don't have control of the hunting access on the farm. But we all have the same problem. To many elk and not enough money. Farming is rough right now. I bet you could find someone to let you hunt with some cash in hand…. Good luck

Look for irrigated Alfalfa farmers. I farm in That zone. I don't have control of the hunting access on the farm. But we all have the same problem. To many elk and not enough money. Farming is rough right now. I bet you could find someone to let you hunt with some cash in hand…. Good luck
Thanks for the info, if you hear of any neighbor farmers with an elk problem who are looking to make some extra money or trade access for a whitetail or turkey hunt feel free to shoot me a PM. We farm here in Kansas and it's been tough as well. We're in the middle of a 3 year drought. The reservoir I live next to is the lowest its been in the last decade.

Recent Posts