I’m Making The Switch

Post your satisfaction (or dissatisfaction) after your experience with savage over all. I started out with savage as my platform action simply due to the floating bolt head and ease of tuning and accuracy results. What I found out was accuracy was excellent. Headspacing especially when building an AI cartridge was tricky to get ignition. Headspacing was very tricky( for mine). Turned out to be a somewhat of a micro adjustment issue in headspacing. My biggest struggle with savage actions was finding stocks. Just not many options compared to the Remington footprint. Triggers is another very big issue. Sure Timney and rifle basic are out there but nothing compared to TriggerTech, Shilen, Jewell or some of the other better triggers for Remington's. Good luck with your new found choice and I hope you find more options on both those areas I struck out on.
I just put a Criterion S.S 26" MTU on a Savavage 10 SA. When I set headspace I take a couple pieces of brass and load primers in. Load and fire to check for ignition and check primer strike. Load testing now but it looks promising. Cheap American Gunner ran 2750 and good to 1000. My handload is a 140 ELDM clocked at 2840. Problem I ran into was I had a reaction to Actos, diabetes drug. Couldn't close my hands and feet looked like clubs from swelling. On a different drug now. Anyway I had to check the speed even though I couldn't or did not feel up to accuracy testing. I sure did test! 3rd round caught my chronograph and sent it skidding onto the ground.
I had heard others doing this and thought funny. Not so funny now!🤣
All is good though. I have a new one on its way.

I just put a Criterion S.S 26" MTU on a Savavage 10 SA. When I set headspace I take a couple pieces of brass and load primers in. Load and fire to check for ignition and check primer strike. Load testing now but it looks promising. Cheap American Gunner ran 2750 and good to 1000. My handload is a 140 ELDM clocked at 2840. Problem I ran into was I had a reaction to Actos, diabetes drug. Couldn't close my hands and feet looked like clubs from swelling. On a different drug now. Anyway I had to check the speed even though I couldn't or did not feel up to accuracy testing. I sure did test! 3rd round caught my chronograph and sent it skidding onto the ground.
I had heard others doing this and thought funny. Not so funny now!🤣
All is good though. I have a new one on its way.
Headspacing Saami spec cartridges is piece of cake with them. It's only the ackley improved cartridges I've had trouble with. Never have that issue with the Remington style actions.

Headspacing Saami spec cartridges is piece of cake with them. It's only the ackley improved cartridges I've had trouble with. Never have that issue with the Remington style actions.
Have you any experience with Tikka rebarrel using prefit? I have a .243 Winchester with a 10 twist I'm thinking about tackling. Maybe following suit with Butter Bean.

Pure Precision is the artist formerly known as Mesa Precision correc?
Option for bolt release is bottom release only. Limited for sure. Only stock they make is the one model for the 110 (standard and adjustable). Like I said, stock options limited. Very nice stocks BTW if that's the one you are interested in. Certainly looks like a Mesa stock.

Not a bad price. Definitely like this over metal. I was checking out GRS Bifrost & Fenris. $355.00. Look a lot alike.
My couple Savages I have currently have a SSS stock and a McMillan. Obviously the Sharp Shooters is made for Savage. The McMillan I had to have them inlet the stock for the action. Not cheap but a real solid A5 stock bedded to the action. In fact, that one may be the most accurate rifle I own. Sharp Shooter comp trigger in it( which unfortunately they stopped making). In fact I think the SSS stocks are the best fit for savage actions other than having one inletted to the actual action. They still offer some nice stocks. Only in wood laminate I believe.

Speaking of Bravos...My first Savage based build, got it together last night:
unnamed 2.jpg

unnamed.jpg

Rugged Micro 30 in short config.
Outlier 16" 1:8, 7mm-08
Elf 110 SE Precision Rifle Trigger
KRG Bravo

Bean,
You opened a rather cool can of interesting Savage options. I'm tagged in hard hoping some new companies are offering better stock, trigger and component options today. FYI...PT&G offers nice bolt heads. I do like the newer offering in barrel nuts. Some real attractive ones compared to the savage OEM