Hunting Stock Design

Wool is warm but no one is making them either. 😇

What material are you proposing?
I guess we need to make a stock that has a built in heater. I've never put any thought into how cold my rifle stock feels. I can only assume people are not wearing gloves to shoot and they pack the rifle in their hands vs backpack or sling. I run a 1 lb trigger, backpack carry via scabbard or slick sling, and wear gloves most of the time. I came from the school of thought, train as you fight. I was hunting predators yesterday and it wasn't that cold. 24F. Not one time did I think about how cold my rifle was and I took some time to practice....in the field, in the gear I hunt in, and with my gloves.

I guess we need to make a stock that has a built in heater. I've never put any thought into how cold my rifle stock feels. I can only assume people are not wearing gloves to shoot and they pack the rifle in their hands vs backpack or sling. I run a 1 lb trigger, backpack carry via scabbard or slick sling, and wear gloves most of the time. I came from the school of thought, train as you fight. I was hunting predators yesterday and it wasn't that cold. 24F. Not one time did I think about how cold my rifle was and I took some time to practice....in the field, in the gear I hunt in, and with my gloves.

Carbon, wood, or rubber/plastic touch points you probably won't notice. Putting your hands or cheek on bare aluminum in cold weather I'd agree is very noticeable.

This!

Carbon, wood, or rubber/plastic touch points you probably won't notice. Putting your hands or cheek on bare aluminum in cold weather I'd agree is very noticeable.
I have yet to see a chassis system with bare aluminum cheek rest. Mine have all been carbon fiber or plastic. Those can easily be covered too if a person is dealing with extreme cold or want a softer feel like rubber coating.

Attachments

• IMG_2342.jpeg
    IMG_2342.jpeg
    112.3 KB · Views: 39
I started this thread with pictures of my rifle. Thought I'd just post an update as to what my rifle now looks like.

Savage Mod 10
CarbonSix barrel in 6.8 Western 1:8
Pure Precision stock
atlasworxs bottom metal
Timney trigger

Attachments

• IMG_3404.jpeg
    IMG_3404.jpeg
    504.7 KB · Views: 29
All my hunting rifles wear wood srocks and I wouldn't have anything else. Yes, they require maintenance but wood stocks last for a hundred years and more. It just depends on the species of walnut and the grade of that walnut. As a custom gunmaker most of the heavy recoiling rifles wear English or Bastogne walnut because they are dense and heavier. On most other rifles Claro will be the ticket. I've built many lightweight mountain rifles with Claro walnut stocks of different grades and never had a problem.

Recent Posts