Howdy! 270 new to me and new to the group!

Welcome from Tennessee, this is a great forum with a lot of knowledgeable people! I dont know the laws out west but I would see if some of the states your wanting to hunt are copper bullets only! When it comes to copper I've had good luck with the hammers getting them to shoot good but have not tried them on game yet. I like the eld-x as well but not for sure they're legal in California, but i could be wrong!
Correct eld x not Cali legal, as Cali is copper only. With barrel length and twist I was thinking the 150 would be a good option, been hard tracking down supplies needed for reloads. Have various powders
(Will look into rl 26, have accurate 1680 and h4350, h4831sc, IMR 4350, and H335) different powders different calibers… but between the forum and the people reloading. What would you guys recommend with the 145 eld x and powders I have availabile?

Granted I'm on the search for other heavier bullets snd copper given barrel length and twist. From what I've read length snd more twist "should" be only added bonus and not aid in a "tumbling bullet". Still have loads to learn regarding reloading, but have access to all the old school files (magazines, manuals) as well as people with years of experience. Will be testing loads in the next couple weeks and will report results.

@Heavyiron Good to know thanks for the added info. Was going to work up on the loads with various powders and same bullets and casings. Trying to keep it as controlled as possible. Will be starting round the 58 range from what I read correctly.

Anyone with tested and proven results for heavier 150+ solid copper with a "high" BC that anyone could recommend that's available in stock?

Thanks again everyone!
A non

Photo from a custom 6.5 I helped sight in with my reloading buddy. 15 mph east to west wind blow at 200 yards. 2nd shot even with a spotting scope we couldn't confirm a hit and walk up to check, so 3rd shot was off a hair.

Attachments

• IMG_3731.png
    IMG_3731.png
    825.2 KB · Views: 29
Correct eld x not Cali legal, as Cali is copper only. With barrel length and twist I was thinking the 150 would be a good option, been hard tracking down supplies needed for reloads. Have various powders
(Will look into rl 26, have accurate 1680 and h4350, h4831sc, IMR 4350, and H335) different powders different calibers… but between the forum and the people reloading. What would you guys recommend with the 145 eld x and powders I have availabile?

Granted I'm on the search for other heavier bullets snd copper given barrel length and twist. From what I've read length snd more twist "should" be only added bonus and not aid in a "tumbling bullet". Still have loads to learn regarding reloading, but have access to all the old school files (magazines, manuals) as well as people with years of experience. Will be testing loads in the next couple weeks and will report results.

@Heavyiron Good to know thanks for the added info. Was going to work up on the loads with various powders and same bullets and casings. Trying to keep it as controlled as possible. Will be starting round the 58 range from what I read correctly.

Anyone with tested and proven results for heavier 150+ solid copper with a "high" BC that anyone could recommend that's available in stock?

Thanks again everyone!
A non

Photo from a custom 6.5 I helped sight in with my reloading buddy. 15 mph east to west wind blow at 200 yards. 2nd shot even with a spotting scope we couldn't confirm a hit and walk up to check, so 3rd shot was off a hair.
Hopefully some more knowledgeable than me will chime in, I haven't reloaded for 270 win in probably around 15 to 20 years but believe i used h4831. You may want to start a thread asking for info in the reloading section, might get you a little more help. There are some very knowledgeable people on here that can definetly guide you in the right direction.

Hopefully some more knowledgeable than me will chime in, I haven't reloaded for 270 win in probably around 15 to 20 years but believe i used h4831. You may want to start a thread asking for info in the reloading section, might get you a little more help. There are some very knowledgeable people on here that can definetly guide you in the right direction.
Thanks for the helpful tips already Dozer!
I'll look into as I'm still getting familiar with this platform (forum setup).
As far as the powder sounds like I'm already on the right track. The process and fun continues.

A non

Last edited:
So update after some decent testing.

For my 270 xbolt speed LR 1:7.5 26", I'm quite impressed, specially with an older Doctor 3-9 scope.

First loads tested were 145gr eld x hornady and 130 gr cx hornady.
For the 145 eld x H4831sc provided fairly nice results of a MV ~2900 on average.
54.5 gns H4831sc with a COAL 3.410 (on MY GUN, remember not going to be the same for every rifle for those others trying to replicate).

For the 130 cx H4350 seemed to be the ticket after loads of various testing with H4831sc as well I just couldn't produce the same consistency with accuracy as the H4350 did. Working some IMR4350 to test here soon as well to compare the two. For cx testing I did not have the chrono to produce speed numbers, so testing was based off pressure signs. Hoping to do some chrono testing once I have the load dialed dialed.

130 cx
H4350 - 50 gns COAL 3.31 ~

Testing was done at 100 yards sighted at 200 (no quick adjust dial). Took out to 400 yards with results on steel.

Attachments

• IMG_5626.jpeg
    IMG_5626.jpeg
    131.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5628.jpeg
    IMG_5628.jpeg
    155.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5632.jpeg
    IMG_5632.jpeg
    129.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_5636.jpeg
    IMG_5636.jpeg