Howa build

806 guns

Afternoon everyone. I'm doing a howa mini build in 20 grendel and curious on your thoughts on hanging a 26" remington varmint contoured barrel on the mini ? Is it too much stress on the action with weight etc

I have the Howa mini rifle in a heavy-barrel 7.62x39 0.311 barrel ID, magazine-fed. I had some long-left-over Lapua 185 bullets that I originally used for a game ranch cow elk meat hunt in a 300 Winchester in 0.308 barrel ID. "Because I could", I loaded them with 27.0 grains of Varget over a large magnum primer, and seated them long to 2.4 COL. They flew just fine to 1-MOA at 100-yards with easy bolt lift and primer not indicating over-pressure. Velocity was 2035 fps with 15.5 SD. As hoped-for, the long under-diameter bullets "kissed" the rifling sufficiently to stabilize without grabbing it and over-pressuring. Per the Ballistic Application, the 100-yard velocity is 1831 fps and the energy is 1351 ft-lbs, which is supposedly the deer-killing equivalent to that of a 30-30. I did finally find a 20-round box of Hornady Black, expanding bullets that I could theoretically used to deer hunt.

Please note, that I have not indicated that I intend to use it for deer. I use a light skinny-barreled, short 6.5 Creedmoor as my carry-in rifle (with 37 grains of Varget under a 135-grain bullet; having an alleged 1972 ft-lbs at 100-yards) whenever I am toting my blind and chair to the woods to set-up - just to make sure that it never happens again that I have happy deer cavorting around when setting up my blind, rifle-less.

Why then did I get the Howa which I technically have zero use for - the answer was again, "because I could". I rationalize that it is my ultimate SHTF EOTWAWKI (hopefully I have the acronyms correct) for use with a can of steel-cased 7.62x39 ammunition that bought. But, then again, 7.62x51's and 5.56x45's fill that category, so now I have fully diversified to cover all possibilities!

Attachments

• IMG_3758.jpeg
    IMG_3758.jpeg
    368.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited: