How High do bullets go in their flight trajectory

Look at your drop in inches at target. Meaning, how high your bullet will be above line of sight at it's highest point....I think.

For example:
6.5 SLR w. 130 OTM @ 2900fps, 2500' AMSL, 65°F, 10% humidity.
@ 1760 yards, 1410" drop, or 117.5' or 35.8 meters.
And, in case you don't get what he means, look at the drop at target on ballistics app for your cartridge. The ammo boxes often show the trajactory out to 400 or 500 yds. But an app such as Hornady's will tell you much further targets. The drop at the target is the max height (ordinate) when you aim for bullseye at the target.

And, in case you don't get what he means, look at the drop at target on ballistics app for your cartridge. The ammo boxes often show the trajactory out to 400 or 500 yds. But an app such as Hornady's will tell you much further targets. The drop at the target is the max height (ordinate) when you aim for bullseye at the target.
Whoops!! Milo2 makes a good point. My info is incomplete.

Hi. This is my first post here. Like to shoot lr and starting on elr.
how to calculate how High a bullet fly on its Way to the Target. We fight and measure Wind at the Ground or near. But perhaps the Wind is stronger on lets sat 100 feet when we shoot atthe mile or longer distance. So is the a Way to calculate how High a bullet go on its path to the Target

To answer your question directly; the way the military used to teach this solution to their artillery crews was to use a simple formula:

4(t squared) sorry, I can't do exponents so I had to write t squared the way I did

t= the time of flight for total range

...the highest point of the bullet's flight in going a given range is equal to four times the square of the time of flight for the
total range.

So all you need to do is square the time of flight (to the range you are interested in) and multiply by 4 and you will get the height in yards. Multiply the answer by 3 and you will get the height in feet.

So lets say you shoot a .308 caliber, 168gr bullet at 1000 yards.

The time of flight for 1000 yards (from my ballistic software's trajectory chart) is approx. 1.6452 seconds

(1.6452 x 1.6452 ) x 12 = 32.5 feet

So the highest that the bullet will be, relative to the muzzle is, approximately 32.5 feet higher. If you are standing then you add the distance between the muzzle and the ground.

There is an error in this estimate due to rounding and precision but it's close enough to estimate wind conditions.

(Sorry, I had to correct my math but these are the correct formula and solutions)

Last edited:
Shooting 2 mile. 338lm. 850m/s. Time of flight 9,5sec.
((9,5x9,5)x12)/3,3= 328 meter. Is that correct?
We need more, like your bullet choice, makes a big difference.
But a 300gr Berger OTM at 850 m/s in 3500 DA has a flight time of 8.2 sec, reaches a height of 87.2 meters. I could redo this, but I think you are off slightly. 328 meters up in the air is a long ways, lol

Hi. This is my first post here. Like to shoot lr and starting on elr.
how to calculate how High a bullet fly on its Way to the Target. We fight and measure Wind at the Ground or near. But perhaps the Wind is stronger on lets sat 100 feet when we shoot atthe mile or longer distance. So is the a Way to calculate how High a bullet go on its path to the Target
I just played with the Sierra Infinity app and plug in the following
300 win mag @ 2900, 200gr eldx, sighted in at 1650 yards and got the following results at 800 yards

Range Velocity Energy Path Path Wind Drift Wind Drift Time
Yards ft/s Ft/Lbs Inches 1 MOA Inches 1 MOA Seconds

800 1598.03 992.14 536.66 64.06 0.00 0.00 1.1169

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.