How far out will you kill an elk by yourself?

I had a cow elk tag, this season, and ended up not pulling the trigger because getting to them was so hard when I did the math, I just did not think I could get her out. What do everyone think? What's your worst pack outs? I know I would have made it happen for a bull. The people I talked to had an attitude of "don't work that hard for a cow". I don't know, seasons over and I'm kind of kicking myself. The best thing would have been to be in much better shape, and found some easier elk.
Had a similar experience with my last tag, saw a nice male elk, and was in Mountain Lion territory and knew they were all around. I decided not to take the shot as he was lone adult male of a small herd of about 10 or eleven elk, a couple of youngsters in there and was about a 10 mile hike back to my truck at my age it wouldn't have been fun to shoot and haul him out and then dress him at my truck at my age. Also figured may have had to deal with a lion or two as well on the way back. So I walked back to my truck and did not notice but the whole herd followed me back to clearing where my truck was. So I took a few pictures of them a went home empty handed. Have Asthma and that was before the Covid made my lungs worse. But a recent x-ray showed my lungs are clearing now finally. Still on my bucket list for one more elk hunt.

Try stuff daily,at work, to get a free workout in, not just in October. Whenever a guy needs an oxygen bottle at work, don't wait for the loader to free-up, just walk over to the bottle cage, throw a full one on your shoulder carry back to the cart. Ya know if you're doing much cutting, a bottle a day is a free workout for when Elk season rolls around. Stepping over 4x4's and crane mats with 145lbs on ur shoulder, perfect 100 yard daily workout. Bring the empty back, for 2nd workout.

Last edited:
Had a similar experience with my last tag, saw a nice male elk, and was in Mountain Lion territory and knew they were all around. I decided not to take the shot as he was lone adult male of a small herd of about 10 or eleven elk, a couple of youngsters in there and was about a 10 mile hike back to my truck at my age it wouldn't have been fun to shoot and haul him out and then dress him at my truck at my age. Also figured may have had to deal with a lion or two as well on the way back. So I walked back to my truck and did not notice but the whole herd followed me back to clearing where my truck was. So I took a few pictures of them a went home empty handed. Have Asthma and that was before the Covid made my lungs worse. But a recent x-ray showed my lungs are clearing now finally. Still on my bucket list for one more elk hunt.
I watched a hunting video on YouTube, where the guy killed a mountain lion and continues to hunt for a bear, comes back and finds his mountain lion is half eaten by another lion. He tracks the other lion and ends up killing it. Lots of mountain lion in some elk country. I'm not young or in shape, I could hike pretty good on logging roads but there were none in the area I was hunting these elk.

I used to run a hunt club in North Hampton County NC. One year I had an Army Ranger join. Great guy and in terrific shape. Just before deer season he was deployed and he did not return until the last week of the season. He called to ask two things. Could he bring is dad to the club to hunt for 3 days and did I have any recommendations on where they should hunt. Even though we had a guest rule (one guest could only hunt one day each season) I gave this service man who had lost his whole season serving our freedom the green light. I then told him to he could hunt any or all of my stands and feeders, and if he came by my house on his way down east, I would give him a map (long before maps on phones) and he could borrow my 4 wheeler and trailer. He and his dad did stop at the house, but he would not take my 4 wheeler. He said he does not borrow things he cant afford to replace. So, here is where the story gets back on track with this post. Most of my stands were at least one mile from the parking area, and while a 4 wheeler could get back there a truck would not make it. He and his dad each shot 2 does, all 4 does were shot at my furthest back stand/feeder. He did not want to "mess up" my hunting area so he did not field dress the deer where they fell. Instead, he put the front legs in one hand and the back legs in the other, and he swung each doe on his back and walked them out whole. His father told me once the deer as on his sons back, they did not come down until int he bad of the truck. So, If I had him with me or his physical abilities, I would shoot a cow elk alone, but since I don't, I would only hunt accessible areas, or with buddies.

One item to look into, is the new E bikes. They give us old farts the ability to cover more ground and to carry meat out. I just hope e bikes are only used for ethical hunting and transport.
Rangers are tough

Depending on Temps and terrain I'd consider 2 miles solo. That's 3 to 4 trips.

It's been mentioned above but imo a solo pack out is depending on day time Temps, weather severity and elevation gain. On a solo hunt I'm going to be very cautious about shooting in canyon bottoms. Not just from a physical pack out standpoint but from a safety perspective with up and down canyon bottoms.
Yeah it was a lot harder to get to them than I planned, I originally thought I could get in on them in the morning but didn't get opportunity untill it was near last light to shoot. The time of day definitely made me think the process over a bit, if I could have gotten a shot earlier it would have seemed more doable.

Not being disrespectful Sir, but are you a Hunter? FYI, I'm 76 and a Mountain Lion or Grizzly threat would not keep me off my trigger! I carry a Sig 10mm for their Lead Poisoning. When I hunt Elk in the Blues I'm prepared to spend the night, with a magnesium started fire, until break of dawn, when i pack the top and tender loins to camp; then I call the preselected Outfitter to give a hand. Alternately I kill at 500 yds or less with my 338 RUM and let the party begin; sautéd heart and liver with thin sliced onions and milk gravy! Good hunting all!

A few years ago I was hunting cow elk with my son and nephew. We each had a tag. About 2 miles from the truck we killed 3 cows in one herd. It was almost dark. By the time we had them gutted it was well after dark in Grizzly country.

Hiked out started back in the next morning. Humped meat all day till dark. Hiked out and started back in the next day. Finally got them out. Luckily no Grizzly trouble we were in nw Wyoming.

It was a good thing I had two young guys with me. It was a lot of fun and work.

Big game animals are by far, the physically hardest earned most expensive "free" food we can pretend to enjoy…

After 17 years of of collecting Nevada elk bonus points…finally the coveted golden tag was drawn…(muzzleloader cuz a centerfire rifle tag might take another 5 yrs)
Of course I went hunting antlers and found a 340 score's worth of the toughest chewy old bull meat anyone could ever spend a day moving and a day cutting and wrapping…and it only cost about $35 a pound if I don't count the time off from work.
I'd do it again in a heartbeat…loved every minute of it…('cept maybe that snow stormy thingy)
To the OP's question…going it alone any distance …only if you're Hugh Glass or Jack Reacher.

I am pretty fit for 71 (ride a stationary bike 5-6 days a week for 49 minutes a day, do jiu jitsu 3 nights a week) but I do have physical limitations. No cartilage in my right hip, 3 moderate to severely degenerated lumbar disks. I've taken two elk in the 10 years I have been hunting. Neither time was I alone. I don't think I would take one by myself unless I was certain my usual hunting partner was available to come help me out. I have a Garmin In-Reach with me whenever I am hunting.

Longest I've done was 4 miles. It sucked. A lot.

This year was 3 miles. It sucked. A lot.

They all seem to suck. Antelope are a lot easier to carry out. 😂
I'm not going past a mile lol. I packed my last whitetail, just threw it on my shoulders and carried it three miles to the truck. When I got there, I swore I would never do it again, and I have not lol. Not many trophy animals where I elk hunt, but meat is plentiful, and you can usually get a four-wheeler within a quarter mile or so.

At older than dirt, pack outs absolutely no problem. All about the "tools".😱😂
IMG_2410.gif

My personal criteria, is it in Grizzly country? If yes, than all the rules change, don't like being in Grizzly country alone and covered in meat/blood. Secondly, is the terrain, steep and covered in blow downs is a recipe for knee surgery. And lastly is the weather, in good, cool weather with absence of Grizzlies and gentle terrain, then make more light loads and take your time, or hunt with some high school football players and have them pack it all.
The high school football team is a smart call….provided they don't end up eating the elk (blue rare I suppose) on the way out! Those boys will be hungry! And good grief can they eat!

But this is my plan for the future…sort of. I have three sons, age 3, 5, and 6 at present. The time is coming down the road when they can do the lion's share of the grunt work (and of course I know they will eat the lion's share of the meat, I remember what my appetite was like when I was 15 haha…)

How far are you willing to go depends on how bad you want it. When I was a young man of 49 I hiked 2 mi from my truck 1,000 ft up and shot a five-point bull. I completely de-boned it right there at the kill site, I carried two 70 lb loads out on my back to my truck. I even carried my rifle back up on the second load because I saw a bear, carried the second load of meat and the horns and the rifle back to the truck all in about 7 hours time. Yeah it was **** hard. But it was my most memorable hunt ever. And I don't wine about it.

I had a cow elk tag, this season, and ended up not pulling the trigger because getting to them was so hard when I did the math, I just did not think I could get her out. What do everyone think? What's your worst pack outs? I know I would have made it happen for a bull. The people I talked to had an attitude of "don't work that hard for a cow". I don't know, seasons over and I'm kind of kicking myself. The best thing would have been to be in much better shape, and found some easier elk.
My hunting partner and I hunted and packed multiple elk and deer out of the Sawtooths in Idaho 5 miles in was the farthest. But we were 20 years younger and in good shape.
Now I am 65 and last season packed a cow out of flatter terrain less than 1 mile . It just about killed me.
By myself it would have to be close to a road or my 2 young son in laws would have to be with me to pack.