Hornady ELD-VT bullets- Form Factors

Hugnot

Hornady has a new line of bullets that are directed towards varmint & target use.

These ELD-VT bullets all share a common characteristic - extensive void between base of plastic tip & top of core.

G7 BC values are high for bullet weights & sectional density values are low, thus Form Factors are low (good).

Being of lighter weight these bullets may be driven faster, higher MV values.

The attached spread sheet shows a variety of Hornady bullets - .224 (.22-.250), .243 (6mm CM & 6mm AI) & .264 (6.5CM & 6.5-06) with estimated velocities. As indicated the new ELD-VT bullets would/should provide advantages like flatter trajectories than some other Hornady bullets. Observe the higher velocities for the ELD-VT bullets. The Form Factor concept is explained in the Berger manual.

The nice .308 178 ELDM that can be driven at 3,000 fps from a .300WM using powder charges in the mid 70 grain range was included.

Screenshot (784).png

My usual rifle selection for high density rodents is the .20P & .204R with 40 VMax @ 3600-3650 & .22-.250 with 75 ELDM @ 3250 for targets out on colony edges. Many shots are taken. A cost analysis shows the 40Vmax to be very effective at less than $22/100. The 75 ELD at less than $30/100 is effective. At a suggested price of $45/100 for the new ELD-VT bullets volume shooting would be "exciting" but pricy.

Minimum twist rate analysis using the Miller method would be misleading due to the larger void space compared to other bullets.

Another bullet having the same characteristics is the 107 gr. 6.5mm Sierra MK -extensive void between core & metplat. This bullet can be driven close to 3400 fps from a 6.5-06 and shoots amazingly well up to 600 yards. The limitation being the hollow/open point (real pointy) that does not give expansion on small targets.

A 9-twist barrel shoots the 107 6.5 Si MK well & a 10 twist might also stabilize it. A cross section of the 107 shows about 20% of bullet length void. Similar stabilization for the 100 6.5 ELD-VT -bullet front end void & light plastic moving center of gravity/mass aft.

Screenshot (785).png

Last edited:
Unsubstantiated bullet length data for the .224, 62 grain, ELD-VT is 1.055 inches.

Running the Miller Sg estimator:

Screenshot (791).png

Data including FF & Sg should make this a potent rodent bullet at 3,500 fps plus out of a .22-.250 having a .7.7 or 8 twist. Narrow point-blank trajectories well beyond 300 yards on small rodents. Expansion should be great. Price should come down or being a new product popularity & demand will lag resulting in big inventories & deals.

Found some ELD-VT 62's at Gary's Gunshop yesterday. Also received an email from Midway but by the time I checked they were out.

Tried some of the Midway blems out of my 223AI 8 Twist...3350fps with the load I chrono'd, tried a few different loads...3 MOA at 100. Bad enough I don't consider this a point to start serious load development. Kind of tired of people debating this result without trying it themselves. I'm not interested unless you shoot this in a 1:8 and get it to work, then I'm all ears. I've got a 22 ARC barrel on order, 1:7.

I tried the 62 gr VT in my 22 creedmoor with a 7" twist and got 3/4" groups and my 223 with a 8" twist and got 1/2" groups. I shot several sheep with it bruised a bunch of meat with specks of lead and copper everywhere. In my humble opinion I wasn't impressed and I will stick to Sierra 77 gr TMK and Sierra 65 gr pro hunter as it's way cheaper and not as frangible.

I tried the 62 gr VT in my 22 creedmoor with a 7" twist and got 3/4" groups and my 223 with a 8" twist and got 1/2" groups. I shot several sheep with it bruised a bunch of meat with specks of lead and copper everywhere. In my humble opinion I wasn't impressed and I will stick to Sierra 77 gr TMK and Sierra 65 gr pro hunter as it's way cheaper and not as frangible.
They are Varmint Target bullets and advertised to be explosive.. Try em on Mongoose!

Tried some of the Midway blems out of my 223AI 8 Twist...3350fps with the load I chrono'd, tried a few different loads...3 MOA at 100. Bad enough I don't consider this a point to start serious load development. Kind of tired of people debating this result without trying it themselves. I'm not interested unless you shoot this in a 1:8 and get it to work, then I'm all ears. I've got a 22 ARC barrel on order, 1:7.
I've ordered factory 2nd bullets (.204) twice, never again! I had to sort them due to different lengths and ogive, and they just don't produce consistent groups for me.