Hogs - No longer Nocturnal !?!

morning, food, food, hogs r predators, will eat baby, sheep,
goats, dogs, cats, calfies, dead animals, chickens, fawns.
scavangers sp. hogs r smart, aggressive. I think the
moon phases have a lot to do with feeding. very good
BBQ fair. justme gbot tum

Capt our hogs are pretty much following the same day night routine. Discounting pressure. In an attempt to predict their movements. Do they have seasonal movement day to night? Or perhaps this happens monthly during moon phase?

morning, food, food, hogs r predators, will eat baby, sheep,
goats, dogs, cats, calfies, dead animals, chickens, fawns.
scavangers sp. hogs r smart, aggressive. I think the
moon phases have a lot to do with feeding.
very good
BBQ fair. justme gbot tum

Same with deer and some (maybe all?) other animals. I've seen hogs at all hours of the day and night. I think they start moving when they get hungry. Maybe they consult google about what time they are supposed to eat... but I think they just go with the solunar cycles.

Seems like everyone in Texas has gotten into the NV/Thermal game.
2 properties I hunt hogs have also swapped their pattern due to pressure.

I don't care if you disagree? Maybe you were around stupid ones?
Look here right at the top of the page..Gripe to Google!
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=Pig+iq
Maybe there are high IQ breeds and low IQ breeds: pig racism will come up. Looks like the labs like white pigs, hummm. This is shakey ground in the modern world.. This could all be that all the night pigs have been killed off and only the day pigs remain. The 300WM or a 22LR will sort out the difference.

hogs are actually "diurnal"-- we (humans) have pushed them into more of a nocturnal ritual from hunting pressure and corn feeders--here is a clip from an article I found on the subject:

"Feral hogs by definition are descended from domestic pigs gone wild. In North America, domesticated hogs were originally brought over from Europe by the Spanish conquistadors: Columbus in the West Indies (1493) and Hernando de Soto in Texas (mid-1500's). These domesticated ancestors were diurnal (active during the day).

Today, in locations undisturbed by human activity or hunting, feral hogs tend to be more diurnal just like their great grandparents, especially during spring, fall and winter. In summer, they tend to be more nocturnal (active at night), a behavior most likely due to the heat and their lack of sweat glands to help control body heat.

However, in locations where there is human activity, especially hunting, these highly intelligent and resourceful animals responded by becoming more nocturnal. And so too hunters adapted their own behavior by hunting the animals at night.

Another factor impacts hog nocturnal behavior. In Texas, it is legal to feed wildlife and hunters like to feed their favorite game animal, deer at night. As a result, millions of pounds of corn intended for deer are dispensed nightly by mechanical feeders annually."

I have always read and been told hog behavior is primarily based on human activity. If there is little human activity, hog tend towards diurnal behavior. If high level of human activity then they tend towards nocturnal behavior. Based on my experience of living and hunting hogs in Texas 30+ years this seems to be true. I have also seen hogs be diurnal only during the fall, winter and spring. They seem to always be nocturnal during the summer.

The question that hasn't been asked however. If they are pretty smart. Which I actually do believe they are. But why do they return to the same darn feeder even though they're shot at every time. ?

Seems like everyone in Texas has gotten into the NV/Thermal game.
2 properties I hunt hogs have also swapped their pattern due to pressure.

My son-in-law has a side business hunting hogs in Texas (around Edna). He does day, night (thermal / suppressed), helicopter, and dog hunts. I've seen footage from hunts at all times of the day. Heli-hunts are day only for obvious reasons.

This is all interesting . I hunted coyote for predator control for a little over 30 years I thought we kept killing the untrained ones and leaving the smarter ones to breed and have smarter pups that were trained better by their parents at a younger age . As the population went down they got more cautious and easily spooked thus harder to eliminate . We also seemed to raise not so trainable farm animals as the ones that learned to get out or were trouble some were sold so we had less problems with our stock . Could it be unintentional selective breeding ?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts