Hoe much ammo to bring

I am not a fan of any extra weight. So I take no more than 10 rounds and only one rifle. I would never take a rifle I thought would have even the slightest chance of failing on a hunt (I know there is always a chance) and don't believe that slight risk is worth it. If it's a big hunt you will usually always be with someone else and worse case you can use theirs in a pinch.

On a magnum I have 1 chambered and 3 in my hinged floor plate. I carry a small 10 round ammo pouch in my pack and with magnums usually leave a center gap so they fit better for a total of 8 in the ammo pouch. I have 1 emergency round in a small pocket on my left arm that I keep with a tube of Chapstick for a grand total of 13. For my .280AI, its a total of 14 since it fits one additional in the hinged floor plate. I have lost a few to long range rocks myself, hence the jacket round :)

Wow! You must have a lot more game in your country than I have here in NM. I haven't shot a box of shells in my last 100 days of hunting. Of course we don't have Grizzlys down here either. The most I've ever shot on a hunt was 7, and that was when I was young and foolish, and my scope fogged up, and I had broken the front sight off my rifle. I use see thru mounts and iron sights as a backup. I found out long ago that through a scope at 10 feet all you can see of a bear is hair. That said, I carry 10 rounds. I did have to use an extra round to scare a cougar at 30 yards a couple of years ago. I was glad to have a full magazine for the walk back to camp in the dark. I once had a scope mount come loose, and had enough rounds to resight. I've never had a mount come loose that I mounted with Locktite.

I carry a 20 rounder in my pack, an 8 rounder on my hip and 9 in an elastic butt sleeve on the rifle stock.

Reason?
I packed into a new spot, only had google maps to work off, anyway there was a huge open area that must have been a land slip some time in the past, only small saplings and brush were growing on it.
When I arrived, it was much steeper than I thought, no where to put up a shelter or Bivvy, so I had to find somewhere overlooking that area and flatter to set up camp. I was also to collect water for later trips and store it on site. Collapsible water tanks are great!
As I left, I put up a dozen or more deer that I had not seen.
The place held huge numbers of deer due to it's remote location.

On a later trip, 4 of us went in, we shot 7 deer between us in 7 days. We could have taken double or more, but we had an incident where half of the ammo was lost in a river crossing. The rifle was recovered, the ammo or bag it was in was not.
This is why I carry all that ammo, if I had only the 9 rounder on the butt, we could have been up for some trouble.
10 shots of the same cal, 300WM, were used, our Sambar are tough and often require follow up shots as the terrain is harsh and tends to swallow deer for good if they run far.
It's only luck I didn't have my 338WM, cause there would be no ammo for the other guys rifles that could've ruined the hunt all together. The 338 was off having the scope base holes opened/threaded to 8-40.

I say you can never have too much ammo.........as long as you can carry it comfortably.

Cheers.

My hunting vest carries 12. 3 in the rifle. The rest of the box at camp 20 ok. But on slow days or at lunch on first day I will shoot a long shot at a rock just to check things.

Take 20 rounds separated & a 2nd mag if u use them. My bro lost his one year. Follow up shots, were not much odd an option

Like 6point5x284, I pack 4 in the mag and 9/10 in my pack (.280 Rem) I always have back-up rounds in my truck, @ the trailhead in case of a mis-hap. Never more than 14 miles away.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.